Hifiman Ananda
May 3, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #4,606 of 4,987
They sound fantastic on tubes as well. :)

ny.jpg

May 3, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #4,607 of 4,987
They sound fantastic on tubes as well. :)

Yes tubes can mate well with the Ananda, but like every planar I know they can't be driven by OTL tube amps at all well. Class A SS power seems to be the favored amp (in my experience) I don't have enough experience with hybrid amps or all tube amps with transformers - so can't say - probably it's fine.

May 6, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #4,608 of 4,987
Just bought it, was not that much sure about planars and i'm very happy to know i was mistaken! They sound not just lovely, but their tonal accuracy is AMAZING. I had r70x before these, and while i think they are just a price/performance monster, the ananda made me listen to my music in an even more detailed way. Loving them, really lots!
I would like to ask tho, on the hifiman site there's no mention of "stealth" ananda, nor on amazon. Where did you buy the stealth ones? I have 30 days to return them, don't want to buy something that has just been upgraded!

May 7, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #4,609 of 4,987
I have a pair of Ananda enroute. Is anyone able to tell me how they perform with increased power capability amps?

Years ago I used to own the original HE6 and whilst many amps were supposedly able to drive them, I found that more power filled in the bass regions and improved texture.

I am now thinking of getting an entry/mid level Dac/Amp like a FiiO K9 but am trying to understand the likely improvements versus a portable combo like an Ifi XDSD Gryphon.

I have ordered a Litz balanced cable with swappable plugs to help with power and soundstage.

Thanks for your help.

May 8, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #4,610 of 4,987
I have a pair of Ananda enroute. Is anyone able to tell me how they perform with increased power capability amps?

Years ago I used to own the original HE6 and whilst many amps were supposedly able to drive them, I found that more power filled in the bass regions and improved texture.

I am now thinking of getting an entry/mid level Dac/Amp like a FiiO K9 but am trying to understand the likely improvements versus a portable combo like an Ifi XDSD Gryphon.

I have ordered a Litz balanced cable with swappable plugs to help with power and soundstage.

Thanks for your help.
I listen to the Ananda with a Fiio K5 Pro combo, it sounds superb, and if I compare it to the headphone output of my iPad Pro, although capable of producing sufficient volume, the bass sounds weak and lacking in definition.

May 8, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #4,611 of 4,987

Thanks for your help.
It doesn't take much power to get them quite loud but I find they have more drive and definition in the bass, with my xDuoo TA-30 than with lesser powered amps.

May 8, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #4,612 of 4,987
This is what I have historically found, that bass and texture improves with increased power.

How many people drive the Ananda with 2 watt amps and if possible, have they also tried 6 watts plus amps? Interested to know the impact/effects?

May 8, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #4,613 of 4,987

Thanks for your help.
I have a K9Pro. I have not compared it to other DAC/AMPs, but they sound really good, tonality and sound separation are top notch. I have the 4499 version. I also use them on a M15, and while it has less power, i would say it still is more than capable of making a very enjoyable sound. I use a 4.4 balanced cable btw.

May 8, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #4,614 of 4,987
This is what I have historically found, that bass and texture improves with increased power.

How many people drive the Ananda with 2 watt amps and if possible, have they also tried 6 watts plus amps? Interested to know the impact/effects?
I have tested it with a 2W Violectric amp, and it sounds better directly connected to an 1.5W RME ADI-2 DAC.

May 8, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #4,615 of 4,987
I have tested it with a 2W Violectric amp, and it sounds better directly connected to an 1.5W RME ADI-2 DAC.
This is the point that I was trying to test/understand. I would like to see this personal experience between a 1W,2W and a >5W amp when used with an Ananda. I am particularly interested in bass depth and timbre.

May 8, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #4,617 of 4,987

Thanks for your help.
I drive my Ananda Stealth with IFI Zen Stack balanced with a TPHC Litz cable and they sound divine, Stealth version is 27 Ω (ohm) 103 db and I have a hard time believing that I have much to gain with a more powerful amplifier.

May 8, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #4,618 of 4,987
Using high gain on the K9Pro i might add for the sake of accuracy. And the knob is at most at 50% or i'd blow my ears away!

May 8, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #4,619 of 4,987
The extra power is not used to increase volume.

My theory is that a more powerful amplifier is able to control the driver more forcefully and accurately. This mainly shows as deeper, fuller bass and improved timbre.

I have experienced this with many headphones previously but am unsure if it also holds true for a high efficiency planar.

May 11, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #4,620 of 4,987
I saw an announcement for an Ananda version 2 with stealth magnets and thinner foils.
They may sound better or not, that's not my interesting theme.
The Deva Pro has improved connectors: mono at both cups or balanced at the left with option for the attachable BT adapter.
Is the Ananda version 2 made the same way? This would be a reason for selling my Ananda BT and buying the version 2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back