Hifiman Ananda
Apr 27, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #4,591 of 4,987
Best headphone I have tested.

I haven't tested many headphones, but I have tested some as HD800S, HE6se V2, Denon D7000, some Fostex... For me Ananda sounds better than all of them IMHO
That's a hot take but Ananda is unique headphone so if you like it, you like it. Very nice headphones for music. I didn't like them as much for gaming and movies.

Apr 28, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #4,592 of 4,987
That's a hot take but Ananda is unique headphone so if you like it, you like it. Very nice headphones for music. I didn't like them as much for gaming and movies.
I only use headphones for music, and I only listen rock, progressive and metal.
For other genres or other uses I am sure I would prefer other headphones.

Apr 29, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #4,593 of 4,987

I haven't tested many headphones, but I have tested some as HD800S, HE6se V2, Denon D7000, some Fostex... For me Ananda sounds better than all of them IMHO
I 2nd that, I also tested with Focal Clear and HD800, the Ananda is more enjoyable especially for classical music.

Apr 29, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #4,594 of 4,987
not for gaming or movies as they lack the low frequency slam

Apr 29, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #4,596 of 4,987
Is there a picture of someone wearing it, it looks huge, I think it suits my boyfriend, may not be friendly to people with small faces just like me :)
My wife has a small face too, and she thinks it is comfortable.

Apr 29, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #4,599 of 4,987

I haven't tested many headphones, but I have tested some as HD800S, HE6se V2, Focal Clear, Denon D7000, some Fostex... For me Ananda sounds better than all of them IMHO
Not a Denon or Fostex fan. But the other ones are all clearly musically more thruthfull than the Ananda to me. Testing? You mean comparing?

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #4,600 of 4,987
Not a Denon or Fostex fan. But the other ones are all clearly musically more thruthfull than the Ananda to me. Testing? You mean comparing?
Yes, I mean comparing. HD800S is really bad with rock and metal, it has no punch. HE6se V2 is a bit shouty. And the Focal Clear is a total mess IMHO (I hate that headphone, it’s too warm).

Apr 30, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #4,601 of 4,987
Yes, I mean comparing. HD800S is really bad with rock and metal, it has no punch. HE6se V2 is a bit shouty. And the Focal Clear is a total mess IMHO (I hate that headphone, it’s too warm).
What amp did you use on the 800S? DAC?

Bit shouty? Amp? Better be good for 6 wpc at 50 ohms. It has real impact in the bass too unlike the Ananda.

Clear warm? Which version?

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #4,602 of 4,987
What amp did you use on the 800S? DAC?

Bit shouty? Amp? Better be good for 6 wpc at 50 ohms. It has real impact in the bass too unlike the Ananda.

Clear warm? Which version?
With the HD800S I have used some DACs and AMPs. My favorite is the RME ADI-2 DAC. It's great for classical music and jazz, but for heavy and metal is not good.

The HE6se V2 is more shouty than the Ananda, it has more elevated upper mids, and that's the region I find shouty. I have tested it with the RME ADI-2 DAC + Violectric AMP. I still prefer the Ananda with my music.

I have had the Focal Clear Pro OG, and it is extremely warm for my taste. I got to hate that headphone.

And the Ananda with the EQ profile I use is just... amazing. I have not listen anything like it yet (without EQ too, but with it is just another level).

All these IMHO and with the music I listen.

Apr 30, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #4,603 of 4,987
HD800S is really bad with rock and metal, it has no punch
I really don't see HD800S having less punch than Ananda. Do you mean sub bass ? Ananda sub bass is very good.
It's subjective but Ananda is the worst headphone i used for rock metal. It just don't sound right with that genre. 1.5k dip takes away all the richness and soft/compressed sound takes away all the energy.
I like Ananda with calmer songs and edm. It excels in sub bass and soft sounds like wind instruments. Sundara is quite a bit better for rock metal. I'm saying this as a person who doesn't like Sundara and think Ananda far better.

May 2, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #4,604 of 4,987
Well I must have 50 comments in this thread. Final summary: seem to appeal to folks that have mostly lived with digital and SS amps. Can't name anyone I know that's into live unamplified, analog music that likes them.

Lack of bass impact, stage too tall vs width, a bit hot 6-9k, transparent but lack body, and worst: lack harmonic richness to a shocking degree.

HE-500, HE-6SE, XS, HEX V2 all better listen IMO. Although some need more potent amps than Ananda.

Ciao.

May 2, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #4,605 of 4,987
I'm into live, unamplified music and I like them just fine. I used tubed amps when I was into high-end 2-channel audio systems. I use a hybrid amp with these, now. I find them to sound quite well with classical, jazz and solo acoustic guitar music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back