Hifiman Ananda
Aug 28, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #3,961 of 4,987
I realized that I wanna have another construction, like Philips SHP-9500, other similar open headphones. Agreed that Ananda is amazing choice, just don't like how I feel it on my head( it's only my point of view ). I think to look something else, to think not only about sound, but for comfort for me as well. I think SHP-9500 not worse than my 681F, especially because it is semi-open, and I prefer only open headphones, or even acoustic speakers. I would buy acoustic, if we had something portable options which I can take in my baggage ( I don't have my own apartments ). And not sure that sound won't be too loud for neighbors.
I used Superlux hd668b chinese dekoni earpads for a while and enjoyed it very much, and I got the 672 which disappointed.
Also Fidelio X2 was used for listening to my favorite music which is classical orchestral music that requires enough quality for tonal balance and resolution.
Before them I got the famous hd800/S, and TH900 at the same period with 668/X2/672, and with all those good supporting gears like usb stabilizer, expensive usb cables, and expensive dac/amp costing way more than 1K USD.

However there is no meaningful difference between them, but there are meaningful feelings like justification for my family and/or lower income nation's conflicted peoples.
There are some sense of peace and justification with hd668b, or 2nd hand X2 purchased 90 USD.

For big band music I always put X2 on.
I recommend X2 for all around music for you, which sells for around 100 USD.

Aug 29, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #3,962 of 4,987
For big band music I always put X2 on.
I recommend X2 for all around music for you, which sells for around 100 USD.
Thank you! I would consider that suggestion, but one no, their construction, I need something classical like SHP9500, Sennheiser 600-650, etc.

Yesterday I was shocked. Maybe it's for a damaged cable in 681-F, but anyway, I tried to use my previous headphones Ritmix Rh-508, and with G6 they sound much better than I could ever even imagine!!! They have all advantages, high, middle, low frequences, especially bases. When I hear explosives, screams like Boom, it's not just I enjoy it, I really tremble, vibrate, like a light version of a home cinema. The soundstage is much better, the sound is much more detail, I can hear everything and much more details. I can't convey my feelings, but they are amazing. And 508 are much more comfortable! And the main point, I just enjoy them, I am glad to play in them and hear them as well. And I was shocked they are closed, I have been thinking since 2010 that 508 are open 👐

So I realized that I need to change my focus. Firstly, I need a construction which I like, like classical. Second, I really need bases, because in computer games and movies, especially in games, we have very much low frequences. Third, it would be amazing, if my G6 amplifier would be enough. In the store I heard Ananda with M6 pro player, and I had more than enough reserve for volume. Fourth, I don't see any reasons to buy something for $1000-5000, because I hardly ever listen music separately, and it's not lossless I think :) it doesn't make sense. Usually it's movies computer games, but they don't need such much amazing sound like lossless music, I like music, but not separately, like addition for atmosphere in movies, games, audiobook, etc. So I think I can look around of dynamic headphones under $600 with good bass and good neutral sound in general, or around of planar magnetic headphones under $1000 ( but I would prefer something cheaper and what my amp can handle ), and sure I should like their construction with comfort as well.
And the last, now I understand that I was wrong and closed headphones( hi 508 ) not always bad. They can be comfortable, they can have good soundstage, they can have much details, so I need to look not just only open headphones and at all, but just on a headphone model, and doesn't matter which design it's. So Ananda is amazing, but the construction not for me.
P.S. In the addition to headphones I would buy some really budget 2.1 speakers, because I understand that I will leave them in the flat, when I change a place where I live. I prefer surround sound in general,I realized it :)

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #3,964 of 4,987
Thank you! I would consider that suggestion, but one no, their construction, I need something classical like SHP9500, Sennheiser 600-650, etc.

Yesterday I was shocked. Maybe it's for a damaged cable in 681-F, but anyway, I tried to use my previous headphones Ritmix Rh-508, and with G6 they sound much better than I could ever even imagine!!! They have all advantages, high, middle, low frequences, especially bases. When I hear explosives, screams like Boom, it's not just I enjoy it, I really tremble, vibrate, like a light version of a home cinema. The soundstage is much better, the sound is much more detail, I can hear everything and much more details. I can't convey my feelings, but they are amazing. And 508 are much more comfortable! And the main point, I just enjoy them, I am glad to play in them and hear them as well. And I was shocked they are closed, I have been thinking since 2010 that 508 are open 👐

So I realized that I need to change my focus. Firstly, I need a construction which I like, like classical. Second, I really need bases, because in computer games and movies, especially in games, we have very much low frequences. Third, it would be amazing, if my G6 amplifier would be enough. In the store I heard Ananda with M6 pro player, and I had more than enough reserve for volume. Fourth, I don't see any reasons to buy something for $1000-5000, because I hardly ever listen music separately, and it's not lossless I think :) it doesn't make sense. Usually it's movies computer games, but they don't need such much amazing sound like lossless music, I like music, but not separately, like addition for atmosphere in movies, games, audiobook, etc. So I think I can look around of dynamic headphones under $600 with good bass and good neutral sound in general, or around of planar magnetic headphones under $1000 ( but I would prefer something cheaper and what my amp can handle ), and sure I should like their construction with comfort as well.
And the last, now I understand that I was wrong and closed headphones( hi 508 ) not always bad. They can be comfortable, they can have good soundstage, they can have much details, so I need to look not just only open headphones and at all, but just on a headphone model, and doesn't matter which design it's. So Ananda is amazing, but the construction not for me.
P.S. In the addition to headphones I would buy some really budget 2.1 speakers, because I understand that I will leave them in the flat, when I change a place where I live. I prefer surround sound in general,I realized it :)
a well built robust and luxurious feeling closed cans is a Sony MDR Z7, best closed back for movie/ gaming and very easy to drive as well. can be found used pretty cheap as well, less than half than used Anandas these days. new mk2 version is the same price as Ananda.

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #3,965 of 4,987
Hi,
I just scored a great deal on a set of used Hifiman Ananda. I am disappointed in FedEx tho, pushed from Monday till Thursday! I’m still optimistic for today tho!! Lol

the seller claims brand new ultrapads and it comes with a periapt cable…

I’ll be running my set out of dac-x6mkii

I listen to a wide variety of music

can anyone give more an idea of what to expect? I’ve watched and read like everything there is about it lol. How big of a difference does double-sided magnet construction make?
and can anyone shed more light on “planar bass”?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #3,966 of 4,987
Planar bass is tight and fast. Goes deep. Best in the business. Ananda scales beautifully with better DACs and AMPs. The first headphone to me that i can clearly tell a differences between FLAC and MP3.

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #3,969 of 4,987
Thanks, you think my dac/amp will give me most of the headphone’s potential?
Sadly, no. Not even close. Id say start with something like SMSL SH-9 and SMSL SU-9 stack or IFI AUDIO NEO IDSD DAC.

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #3,972 of 4,987
So, what I got was a waste of money basically…?

it would be night and day?

the ananda is know for being not super demanding, the specs on the unit are not (that) bad
Ananda can be driven with even phone by power but it can do so much more with better dac and amp. Also it can take much more power and it shows. Its like HD800 the better system you got that better it delivers. Sound quality is much more than only power. I mean sure you can use that amp too but ananda will sound even better with better dac/amp

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #3,973 of 4,987
So, what I got was a waste of money basically…?

the ananda is know for being not super demanding, the specs on the unit are not (that) bad
These cans have good resolve with the Schiit

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #3,974 of 4,987
My experience with Anandas and amps is as follows: compared between iPad Pro and Fiio K5 Pro (DAC+amp, 1W of power under 32 Ohms) is not night and day. K5 brings a bit more bass and, speceially, sub bass; perhaps a bit wider soundstage, but just a bit. They seem to need a few miliwatts for sounding loud, and they sound surprisingly good our of the iPad Pro.

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #3,975 of 4,987
Ananda can be driven with even phone by power but it can do so much more with better dac and amp. Also it can take much more power and it shows. Its like HD800 the better system you got that better it delivers. Sound quality is much more than only power. I mean sure you can use that amp too but ananda will sound even better with better dac/amp
HD800 is ver source and AMP dependent but Ananda is way better in that regard, it almost pairs well with any source/AMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back