Hifiman Ananda
Aug 25, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #3,946 of 4,987
is it fine to use TRS 3.5 L/R cables instead of TRRS cable on these? ie I want to use my MDR Z7&Z1R's balanced cables to drive these balanced with my Topping, it does make sound, I'm just wondering, is it safe to keep using it? I'm not sure how the thing is wired internally.

about the fit, yeah man it clamps, and on the wrong part of the head too, lower jaw is arund where humans got alot of nerve endings and also where our biggest salivary glands are so.... yeah. it feels weird.
i think its more about getting used to the feeling of wearing it than the headphone getting better with time really.... maybe i should try stretching it out.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #3,947 of 4,987
about the fit, yeah man it clamps, and on the wrong part of the head too
Yes, the lower jaw pressure seems and feels weird at the beginning. For some people, combined with the lack of vertical swiveling, could make them uncomfortable. In my case I feel the jab pressure from time to time, so nothing to write home about, but I understand the issue.

Aug 26, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #3,949 of 4,987
Listened them yesterday in a store. They sound really amazing. Doesn't look cool, and a construction for me is not so comfortable as it can be ( Philips 9500, Ad-500, etc. ), but it's definitely worth it.
They are definitely weird looking headphones and not as comfortable like HD6XX. But due to large cup size your ears will not touch the drivers or pads which is always an irritating factor with HD6XX for me.

And they are more comfortable than LCD2C.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #3,950 of 4,987
Guys, one more question. I usually use my headphones with a TV ( computer games, movies, etc. ), so, I have only one option to plug them, by optical fiber cable ( sometimes a TV can recognize a USB DAC, but you can't know it will work, or not ). So, I can't find that information in Google, can an optical SPDIF translate a balanced mono audio signal, or only unbalanced ( in that case we get a balanced signal by using TV ).

They are definitely weird looking headphones and not as comfortable like HD6XX. But due to large cup size your ears will not touch the drivers or pads which is always an irritating factor with HD6XX for me.

And they are more comfortable than LCD2C.
I thought about LCD-2, but don't wanna have any deals with EQ ( plus comfort plus they are really heavy ). I just still wanna try some cheaper options like Sennheiser 600-660, others cheaper dynamics with more comfortable construction, before to order Ananda. Unfortunately the store is having some limitations until 28th August, so I was able to try only Ananda. Maybe I just need to get used to Ananda, but it's definitely not comfortable than my Superlux HD-681F.

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #3,951 of 4,987
Guys, one more question. I usually use my headphones with a TVto listen to TV with my headphones,
To listen to TV with my headphones, I connect the TV optical output to my DAC/Amp optical input so I can see movies or play games, as all sound reaching the TV set is sent thru the optical SPDIF output.

Aug 26, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #3,952 of 4,987
To listen to TV with my headphones, I connect the TV optical output to my DAC/Amp optical input so I can see movies or play games, as all sound reaching the TV set is sent thru the optical SPDIF output.
Thanks. As I understand, for balanced audio we need to have a balanced signal in the both sides( from a TV to DAC, and than from a DAC to headphones ). Buy I can't find any information about an optical input and balanced/unbalanced audio

Aug 26, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #3,953 of 4,987
Thanks. As I understand, for balanced audio we need to have a balanced signal in the both sides( from a TV to DAC, and than from a DAC to headphones ). Buy I can't find any information about an optical input and balanced/unbalanced audio
No, it's not true. Usually, you can mix single ended input / outputs with balanced inputs / outputs quite freely. Potentially, there is an advantage in keeping symmetrical single path all the way from source to headphones, but it is no dogma. And, AFAIK, optical SPDIF can't be balanced by it's nature. But it really isn't any problem.

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #3,954 of 4,987
No, it's not true. Usually, you can mix single ended input / outputs with balanced inputs / outputs quite freely. Potentially, there is an advantage in keeping symmetrical single path all the way from source to headphones, but it is no dogma. And, AFAIK, optical SPDIF can't be balanced by it's nature. But it really isn't any problem.
Thanks. So I got that optical input is a digital standard, like AES-3( please fix me if I am wrong ), so balanced audio is about an analogue signal, not about AES-3/optical input. A signal starts from a digital source ( TV, PC, etc. ), than it converts into analogue world by DAC, and in our headphones we receive an analogue signal ( it can be balanced/unbalanced ). Nothing worry about.

Aug 26, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #3,955 of 4,987
Thanks. So I got that optical input is a digital standard, like AES-3( please fix me if I am wrong ), so balanced audio is about an analogue signal, not about AES-3/optical input. A signal starts from a digital source ( TV, PC, etc. ), than it converts into analogue world by DAC, and in our headphones we receive an analogue signal ( it can be balanced/unbalanced ). Nothing worry about.
Yes, you're right.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #3,957 of 4,987
For the cost for non-fatiguing highs, I spent unreasonable amount of money.
That kind of quality is not always true for all genre of music.
We might give up so many things for that quality.

Aug 27, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #3,958 of 4,987
For the cost for non-fatiguing highs, I spent unreasonable amount of money.
That kind of quality is not always true for all genre of music.
We might give up so many things for that quality.
Agreed, especially if you don't collect WAV/Flac/others music. For example me, if I use it mostly with TV for computer games, movies. And even if I listen music separately, I use just stream sources like YouTube. Sure Ananda it's a great upgrade for my Superlux 681F, definitely better ( I might need a better DAC amp source than G6 ), but higher quality.... I don't think it's worth it. I think it's a better idea to buy a home cinema like 7.2, than spend much more money than Ananda/source cost. And again, Ananda is better than 681F, but not in 24 times :)

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #3,959 of 4,987
Agreed, especially if you don't collect WAV/Flac/others music. For example me, if I use it mostly with TV for computer games, movies. And even if I listen music separately, I use just stream sources like YouTube. Sure Ananda it's a great upgrade for my Superlux 681F, definitely better ( I might need a better DAC amp source than G6 ), but higher quality.... I don't think it's worth it. I think it's a better idea to buy a home cinema like 7.2, than spend much more money than Ananda/source cost. And again, Ananda is better than 681F, but not in 24 times :)
I have wave/flac for high resolution ones, but still cannot hear meaningful difference for justifying the expense.

However, for covering more music types I need Ananda for classical orchestra, and LCD2/X for other genre.

Those are reasonable choice and justify me with respect to everything...universal justification...beyond the guilty expense...that helps enjoying music in peaceful mind.

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #3,960 of 4,987
I have wave/flac for high resolution ones, but still cannot hear meaningful difference for justifying the expense.

However, for covering more music types I need Ananda for classical orchestra, and LCD2/X for other genre.

Those are reasonable choice and justify me with respect to everything...universal justification...beyond the guilty expense...that helps enjoying music in peaceful mind.
I realized that I wanna have another construction, like Philips SHP-9500, other similar open headphones. Agreed that Ananda is amazing choice, just don't like how I feel it on my head( it's only my point of view ). I think to look something else, to think not only about sound, but for comfort for me as well. I think SHP-9500 not worse than my 681F, especially because it is semi-open, and I prefer only open headphones, or even acoustic speakers. I would buy acoustic, if we had something portable options which I can take in my baggage ( I don't have my own apartments ). And not sure that sound won't be too loud for neighbors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back