Hifiman Ananda
Sep 18, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #3,991 of 4,987
I agree; I think the bass on Ananda is actually tantalizing, it’s super-liquid and the control is masterful. its effortless

I also wanna add that dac-x6mkii is a great pairing!! The sound has clarity and air, it’s richly detailed… I’m very happy, only thing I could mention, sometimes it seems like the amp has no headroom. Might benefit from JDS atom, schiit, topping. ??

It’s not had to drive but it greatly benefits from more power— I definitely can see and agree with that statement.
Ananda bass is very nice in most dimensions. But in terms of impact and hair standing up on your neck bass - the Ananda and none of the large cup HFM's can lay a glove on the HE-6 4 or 6 screw. No amount of mods or EQ will get it for you either.

Sep 18, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #3,992 of 4,987
True, same here. There is nothing wrong with using EQ. ALL music today you hear is made by using EQ on instruments. Why not in headphones to get the best out of it?

If you are talking about raising or lowering areas so that the overall presentation syncs better and allows music to be heard properly top to bottom. Huzza.

But if you are obscuring or over emphasing music with a 10 db rise - well you paid for it all - but it no longer bears a close relationship with at least parts of the music. And no bass boost will cure the issue of lack of impact of the Ananda, but you may overload your amp or ears trying.

Also, certainly in the "olden days" of analog EQ's (Soundcraftsman) a total change of 6 db between octaves played total havoc with the correct phase of the music. Digital parametric EQ's don't seem as affected, but 10 is a big number, bigger if you have 40 or 50 Hz set down 2.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #3,993 of 4,987
Ananda bass is very nice in most dimensions. But in terms of impact and hair standing up on your neck bass - the Ananda and none of the large cup HFM's can lay a glove on the HE-6 4 or 6 screw. No amount of mods or EQ will get it for you either.
Would love a chance to listen to the HE6, any idea how the Arya stacks up to Ananda?

guys don’t forget to check out my review and sound demo on page 266!!

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #3,994 of 4,987
Would love a chance to listen to the HE6, any idea how the Arya stacks up to Ananda?

guys don’t forget to check out my review and sound demo on page 266!!
Arya's have diff versions. I believe I heard an early-mid 2nd one. It's supposed to be a good version. I think that Arya is betterhan the two Anandas I have heard, but in audio twice the price (or a bit more) does not mean 100 or even 50% better. Arya has more def, more dynamic contrast, better bass, better mids. But it is sharp in the treble (around 5 KHz) and it needs an EQ or an inline filter to chop that down.

Now the Anada is elevated at 7 kHz and a little at 8-9 kHz. It can I think (not 100% sure) be beaten back with good equipment matching, I think that is not true for Arya, needs the EQ. I'd say that the Arya is 8% better than the Ananda. Factor in changes in equipment into the price. If there was any way afford the next step up you get to the HEK v2 and HEK se (used if u are up to it).

Arya very much likes liquid tubey amps and DAC's (but well damped tubes in the bass, no sludge). Cost no object a Class A amp from Pass, a hybrid pre-amp (like the Freya), and calm but deeply detailed DAC like a Gumby. Still at that point you would be looking at a better can than the Arya.

Of course at the price point of the Ananda - why not try the HE-6se v2 (from Adorama) which IMO betters that Ananda in every way except image height (Ananda is too tall like other HFM large cup cans). They both need new cables, and the 6se needs different pads than stock. But the 6se certainly has much of the missing bass impact that Ananda does not so well.

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #3,995 of 4,987
Mine
IMG_20201127_000040.jpg
This is good, very good. R2R2K has the power and Ananda delivers...

Q-6

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #3,996 of 4,987
Arya's have diff versions. I believe I heard an early-mid 2nd one. It's supposed to be a good version. I think that Arya is betterhan the two Anandas I have heard, but in audio twice the price (or a bit more) does not mean 100 or even 50% better. Arya has more def, more dynamic contrast, better bass, better mids. But it is sharp in the treble (around 5 KHz) and it needs an EQ or an inline filter to chop that down.

Now the Anada is elevated at 7 kHz and a little at 8-9 kHz. It can I think (not 100% sure) be beaten back with good equipment matching, I think that is not true for Arya, needs the EQ. I'd say that the Arya is 8% better than the Ananda. Factor in changes in equipment into the price. If there was any way afford the next step up you get to the HEK v2 and HEK se (used if u are up to it).

Arya very much likes liquid tubey amps and DAC's (but well damped tubes in the bass, no sludge). Cost no object a Class A amp from Pass, a hybrid pre-amp (like the Freya), and calm but deeply detailed DAC like a Gumby. Still at that point you would be looking at a better can than the Arya.

Of course at the price point of the Ananda - why not try the HE-6se v2 (from Adorama) which IMO betters that Ananda in every way except image height (Ananda is too tall like other HFM large cup cans). They both need new cables, and the 6se needs different pads than stock. But the 6se certainly has much of the missing bass impact that Ananda does not so well.
Would you be able to comment as to the distinction of the Arya/Ananda and the HE1000v2/SE? And how the HE6se fares against the series also?

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #3,997 of 4,987
Not true. I'm a purist who loves bass and once I was able to eq properly, I think they do an excellent job with sub bass. I have a nice home system with 2 M&K MX-350 THX subwoofers. Me putting on the headphones, I don't feel like I'm missing any of the bass that my home system gives me.
Will be ordering the Loki Mini Plus soon, I trust your input as the Ananda is a very capable headphone

Sep 20, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #3,998 of 4,987
Just wondering, are your old Ananda’s still running. ??

Looking online at what people write about Hifiman quality, does not seem to give a good picture if there really is a problem with the drivers, as anyone who has had a driver failure, is likely going to be very loud about it. It’s as if, if you want to find info that Anadas fail, then you will…

So I thought I’d ask here J

Ps, - Yes,- I am looking to buy one,- so that’s why I’m asking.

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #3,999 of 4,987

Looking online at what people write about Hifiman quality, does not seem to give a good picture if there really is a problem with the drivers, as anyone who has had a driver failure, is likely going to be very loud about it. It’s as if, if you want to find info that Anadas fail, then you will…

I’ve owned my Anandas for nearly a year and my HE4xx for two years before that without a single issue. While not as bespoke looking or robust a build as my Kennertons, they are lighter, more comfortable, better sounding, and reliable as that pair and any other pair of headphones I’ve ever owned.

HTH,
Marc

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #4,000 of 4,987

Gonna agree with MrMarc, only held mine for like 68 hours so far but they feel solid and sound great (especially for the price I got mine lol)😝

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #4,001 of 4,987
Gonna agree with MrMarc, only held mine for like 68 hours so far but they feel solid and sound great (especially for the price I got mine lol)😝
Well, that Ananda is something like 1200 USD in the EU, so it aint cheap.

Sep 25, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #4,002 of 4,987
Hi!
I'm new here.
And here to find info about ananda.
I'm using HD518 now and so satisfied with it.
Can i be satisfied with ananda too?
I prefer headphones with spacious sound, moderate base like HD600, and celan treble.
Trebles Like Mariah Carey, Whiteny Huston.
Also what is ananda like compare to dt1770 or 177x go?

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #4,003 of 4,987
Hi!
I'm new here.
And here to find info about ananda.
I'm using HD518 now and so satisfied with it.
Can i be satisfied with ananda too?
I prefer headphones with spacious sound, moderate base like HD600, and celan treble.
Trebles Like Mariah Carey, Whiteny Huston.
Also what is ananda like compare to dt1770 or 177x go?
Yes, if that's what you are looking for.
Ananda is not as bright as dt1770 or not as dark or laid back or as intimate or forward sounding vocals as HD600. It's the most neutral sounding phones I have heard.
It definitely has more sub bass than HD6XX and the is bass more tighter and controlled than LCD2C.

Yeah, it's spacious than HD6XX series.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back