Hifiman Ananda
Jul 6, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #3,856 of 4,987
Not having tried the Susvara with the 887 I still think it may not be enough in watts and/or quality (Class A vs AB). I've read the Rag 1 (~15 wpc, and first 4 are Class A) is considered the lowest quality amp to consider with the Susvara. Could be ego/sales bluster. If I had a Susvara I would try out some alternates and see what matters.
I bought a Fluxlabs FA-10 which is made for the Susvara. The 887 was indeed not enough but it wasn't that bad either. At least better than a Hugo TT2.

Jul 6, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #3,857 of 4,987
The context I believe was all or some large cup HFM's. It's all relative - a very bass light can will make them sound pretty solid in the bass. OTOH a good/great bass can such as the HE-6, HE-6se, HE-500, and LCD-* on the Rag 1 or Bryston shows that the Ananda and HEX v2 do not do well in impact. The Ananda does not do well in bass timbre either. Add to that the fatigue found in the treble, and while its a winner at the price - it is not nearly perfect as many of its fans claim. It needs some of these:

analog sounding DAC
tube sounding amp (esp hybrids)
replacement of stock cable
digital parametric EQ

I've tested it with 3 of those (no tube amp) and the treble was improved but the bass impact still sounded like a limp lasagna - even vs a HE-500 never mind the HE-6.
Am using it with the Focal cable (priced at $220) and with a Cavalli CTH. Loki Mini Plus is on its way too.

Jul 6, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #3,858 of 4,987
You always need to give some time before judging anything on a first impression, the Ananda is a proven cans and is very pleasing to most of its owners.
Probably you will "feel" a better sound with another cable but not sure you can hear it.
And BTW I did not realize any change in sound even with the Focal cable.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #3,859 of 4,987
Cables are a funny thing. For $42, I’m willing to give it a try. Not expecting miracles, but the oem cable does feel/look a bit cheesy for a headphone at this level.

Sorry, double post - please ignore or delete.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #3,860 of 4,987
You always need to give some time before judging anything on a first impression, the Ananda is a proven cans and is very pleasing to most of its owners.
Probably you will "feel" a better sound with another cable but not sure you can hear it.

Cables are a funny thing. For $42, I’m willing to give it a try. Not expecting miracles, but the oem cable does feel/look a bit cheesy for a headphone at this level.

Jul 6, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #3,861 of 4,987
I've tried a lot of cable changes for HFM cables, to wit:

HEXX4 - nothing I tried made any difference, they just don't resolve well enuf to be useful for comparison. I.E. they sit unused for over a year after both my sons turned up their noses at them.
HE-5LE- big difference between stock and Black Dragon v1 - esp in bass
HE-500 - stock microphonic and bright highs vs Black Dragon 1 - massive difference
HEX v2 - stock awful, Arctic quite good, pure silver better (due to tuning of can at least)
HE6se - stock awful, Custom Cans good, solid.
HE6 - stock more capable then other HFM stock - not as good as Black Dragon,

I actually did AB blind on the 500, HEX v2, HE6se. The others could well have been swayed by subjective factors - expectation for one.

Never heard your cables, most agree HFM stock cables including on the Ananda leave much to be desired. You made your call, I have no direct data to object.

EDIT: I mixed this in with mods of various types. Not much on the big cuppers but cable. Height for the HEX v2 and pads for the 6se. The HE-500 and HE4XX had a lot more.

Then I went for FR EQ, then CSD EQ. I'm sure there are other mods to try but it's all I can handle listening to the HE-500, HE-6se, HEX v2 (probably try more here), and the HD-600 (some mods).

If I get around to a Susvara, Voce, LCD-4, etc, No mods anymore.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #3,862 of 4,987
My Ananda's continue to sound more awesome... IMOHO

Your milage may vary...

After several hundred hours and 2 different DAC headphone amps, it has become clear that these cans flourish when paired with tubed equipment.

One set up is Schiit Bifrost 1 paired with Asgard 2 and a Modded Yaquin SD-CD3(2 6SN7 (1959 Sylvania Baldwin tubes)(Not always on)

Other setup is MHDT Labs Istanbul(Raytheon 5670 grey plate windmill getter)

Paired to a Schiit Lyr3(1951 Sylvania 6SN7GT (bad boy) tube)

Schiit Loki

The Ananda loves the 2nd setup more than the first

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #3,863 of 4,987
My Ananda's continue to sound more awesome... IMOHO

Your milage may vary...

After several hundred hours and 2 different DAC headphone amps, it has become clear that these cans flourish when paired with tubed equipment.

One set up is Schiit Bifrost 1 paired with Asgard 2 and a Modded Yaquin SD-CD3(2 6SN7 (1959 Sylvania Baldwin tubes)(Not always on)

Other setup is MHDT Labs Istanbul(Raytheon 5670 grey plate windmill getter)

Paired to a Schiit Lyr3(1951 Sylvania 6SN7GT (bad boy) tube)

Schiit Loki

The Ananda loves the 2nd setup more than the first
Paired with the Cavalli CTH would astonish you as well.

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #3,864 of 4,987
Say what you will about the stock Ananda cable.

Trusted my new robot vacuum too much, which caught the 10ft cable and wound it into a neat little knot for me.......
Elastic clear sleeving completely unwound, not one cable break anywhere along the cable.

Still chasing a cable that sounds better than the stock. Extremely disappointed with the Periapt cable. Starting to think "Silver matters" even for a headphone as bright as Ananda.
Have this cable coming: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000614744098.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.33744c4daK8PJP

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #3,865 of 4,987
Still chasing a cable that sounds better than the stock. Extremely disappointed with the Periapt cable. Starting to think "Silver matters" even for a headphone as bright as Ananda.
Have this cable coming: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000614744098.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.33744c4daK8PJP
I confirm, this is a very good sounding Chinese cable from LunaShops, very flexible and nice to touch. I'm not sure if it's really made of Ohno Continuous Cast copper but seems like it is. Definitely more transparent sound than the stock cable, let alone comfort and aesthetics. But can you please elaborate on what exactly the problem was with the Periapt cable? I use a Ninja cable for balanced, almost the same thing as Periapt, it has Canare copper cores, Cardas silver solder, just not so much shielding as Periapt. Not a single complaint about the sound. I wish it could have that Periapt shielding to be more protected. So what was wrong with it?

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #3,866 of 4,987
I confirm, this is a very good sounding Chinese cable from LunaShops, very flexible and nice to touch. I'm not sure if it's really made of Ohno Continuous Cast copper but seems like it is. Definitely more transparent sound than the stock cable, let alone comfort and aesthetics. But can you please elaborate on what exactly the problem was with the Periapt cable? I use a Ninja cable for balanced, almost the same thing as Periapt, it has Canare copper cores, Cardas silver solder, just not so much shielding as Periapt. Not a single complaint about the sound. I wish it could have that Periapt shielding to be more protected. So what was wrong with it?
The periapt i got wasn't balanced, it was a single ended 3.5mm. The soundstage was drastically smaller than either stock cable, and separation less pronounced. The lows were a bit muddier, vocals a bit more forward, and there was not much sparkle in the highs.
I'd say the cable made my Ananda into a He400i pretty much...

The single-end had 4 poles instead of 3 (wouldn't even work on my Samsung), so I'm wondering if something's wasn't quite right in any of the amp inputs i used with it, but I was certainly hearing two distinct channels.

The build quality is perfect, and the insides seem the same as other top rated cable boutiques, Idk how mine wasn't meeting others expectations. Am going to reach out to them tho

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #3,867 of 4,987
Jul 14, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #3,868 of 4,987
Jul 14, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #3,869 of 4,987
I'm inclined to believe you, but for me personally that's 1/3 the value of my 3 year old headphone, next hifiman gen can't be far away. Shooting for stock's been my goal, i could drop $250 on a THX 789 instead is my thinking 😅
Agree about the price although they use best of breed components but still......
Am lucky being able to use my Focal cable on the Ananda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back