Hifiman Ananda
Jul 3, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #3,841 of 4,987
This is my Anandas replacement cable:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000614744098.html

No memory shape at all, light, beatifully made and no sound difference compared to stock cable. It would be even better if strain relief was stronger, but so far has endured some pull
I ordered a similar braided cable to try through Amazon. Gotta love their free returns no questions asked policy. Meanwhile, the Anandas have opened up substantially after the first few days, or just my ears getting used to them. Either way, so far so good. Listened to Bill Frisell’s live solo acoustic stream from the village vanguard through the Anandas last night, and it was just exactly perfect.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #3,842 of 4,987
Very dissapointed with my Periapt Type-8 replacement cable, after seeing so many people say it matches or exceeds the stock cable.
It's muddier, highs lost all sparkle, far more forward, loses all instrument separation, and soundstage is just gone. Sounds like my 4XX :/
Had some trust from so many testimonials in this thread, is it the copper wire? Their cable quality is so good, how could it sound so bad?

Did I get the wrong cable configuration? 1 pole on the ends, and 4pole on the end, am I hearing the channels wrong?
This cable doesn't work in my phone, thinking I got something wrong for this headphone.
20210703_175237.jpg

Really want a sub-$100 stock 3.5mm replacement... do I really have to put out for a OIDIO? Not sure what to trust now.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #3,843 of 4,987
Very dissapointed with my Periapt Type-8 replacement cable, after seeing so many people say it matches or exceeds the stock cable.
It's muddier, highs lost all sparkle, far more forward, loses all instrument separation, and soundstage is just gone. Sounds like my 4XX :/
Had some trust from so many testimonials in this thread, is it the copper wire? Their cable quality is so good, how could it sound so bad?

Did I get the wrong cable configuration? 1 pole on the ends, and 4pole on the end, am I hearing the channels wrong?
This cable doesn't work in my phone, thinking I got something wrong for this headphone.

Really want a sub-$100 stock 3.5mm replacement... do I really have to put out for a OIDIO? Not sure what to trust now.
Myself I would have just went with a stereo plug... Since the Ananda doesn't have a mic

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #3,844 of 4,987
Myself I would have just went with a stereo plug... Since the Ananda doesn't have a mic
Exactly my thoughts, never did I ask for a 4pole, they chose the termination :/

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #3,845 of 4,987
Exactly my thoughts, never did I ask for a 4pole, they chose the termination :/
Maybe you could rma it back and get them to send you the right cable?
No wonder your Ananda sounds like it's sick :thermometer_face:

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #3,846 of 4,987
Maybe you could rma it back and get them to send you the right cable?
No wonder your Ananda sounds like it's sick :thermometer_face:

Will definitely get in contact, the build and order notes are impressive. I do hope a different one would sound different and better.

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #3,847 of 4,987
After three days, my Anandas still sound flat and lifeless, and I’m not inclined to think they’re going to get any better with another three days of break in. Maybe I got a bad set or maybe they’re just a bad match for my Burson amp, but I think I just decided they need to go back to HiFiMan. Live and learn.

Jul 4, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #3,848 of 4,987
After three days, my Anandas still sound flat and lifeless, and I’m not inclined to think they’re going to get any better with another three days of break in. Maybe I got a bad set or maybe they’re just a bad match for my Burson amp, but I think I just decided they need to go back to HiFiMan. Live and learn.
Did you try them with a different amp? Just curious; I don't own them but they're supposed to be relatively easy to drive. I wonder if there's a mismatch, like you say, maybe a rare impedance mismatch with the Burson. Are you used to a different type of signature headphone-wise?

Jul 5, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #3,850 of 4,987
I received my ananda today, I think it is great, very different from other headphones. maybe because of the unique structure:dt880smile:
It's a really unique headphone and kick way above its price tag, it's $ well spent

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #3,851 of 4,987
Did you try them with a different amp? Just curious; I don't own them but they're supposed to be relatively easy to drive. I wonder if there's a mismatch, like you say, maybe a rare impedance mismatch with the Burson. Are you used to a different type of signature headphone-wise?
I don’t think it’s the burson. In fact, although I have mixed feelings about break in for headphones, they are opening up significantly as I approach the recommended 150 hours mark. I actually think the oem cable may be part of the problem. I have some reasonably priced, well made custom hand braided Mogami/Dean cables on the way, so we shall see. At the moment, contrary to what I said yesterday, I’m actually quite happy with the Anandas at the price I paid for them ($560 open box from HiFiman - as new). Either they’re really breaking in or I’m just getting used to them. I listened all day today snd they kept me hsppy and comfortable the entire time. Bottom line: I’m much more satisfied than I was yesterday. I’d have to spend a grand or more to beat them so, pretty, pretty good.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #3,852 of 4,987

Your comments... Same cable, It works really well with the HE-5XX & HE560 V4. But with my sundaras (2021) yeah I agre, Guess I got my answer on if it'll work with my soon to be arriving Ananda.

Edit (Update): Turns out it works great with the Ananda & Arya. Not sure what was up with the Sundara. but I retract the above comment.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #3,853 of 4,987
I don’t think it’s the burson. In fact, although I have mixed feelings about break in for headphones, they are opening up significantly as I approach the recommended 150 hours mark. I actually think the oem cable may be part of the problem. I have some reasonably priced, well made custom hand braided Mogami/Dean cables on the way, so we shall see. At the moment, contrary to what I said yesterday, I’m actually quite happy with the Anandas at the price I paid for them ($560 open box from HiFiman - as new). Either they’re really breaking in or I’m just getting used to them. I listened all day today snd they kept me hsppy and comfortable the entire time. Bottom line: I’m much more satisfied than I was yesterday. I’d have to spend a grand or more to beat them so, pretty, pretty good.
You always need to give some time before judging anything on a first impression, the Ananda is a proven cans and is very pleasing to most of its owners.
Probably you will "feel" a better sound with another cable but not sure you can hear it.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #3,854 of 4,987
And Hifiman cans won't lack any bass impact if mated with the right amp, they will rumble and shake without any distortion.
The context I believe was all or some large cup HFM's. It's all relative - a very bass light can will make them sound pretty solid in the bass. OTOH a good/great bass can such as the HE-6, HE-6se, HE-500, and LCD-* on the Rag 1 or Bryston shows that the Ananda and HEX v2 do not do well in impact. The Ananda does not do well in bass timbre either. Add to that the fatigue found in the treble, and while its a winner at the price - it is not nearly perfect as many of its fans claim. It needs some of these:

analog sounding DAC
tube sounding amp (esp hybrids)
replacement of stock cable
digital parametric EQ

I've tested it with 3 of those (no tube amp) and the treble was improved but the bass impact still sounded like a limp lasagna - even vs a HE-500 never mind the HE-6.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #3,855 of 4,987
For the Utopia the Audiovalve Solaris. Was a good match.

Currently i only use a THX 887 which maybe is not enough for the Susvara (even though volume is only at 50%). That's maybe the reason why i dont use the Susvara so much but mainly the HD650 and now the ADX5000.
Not having tried the Susvara with the 887 I still think it may not be enough in watts and/or quality (Class A vs AB). I've read the Rag 1 (~15 wpc, and first 4 are Class A) is considered the lowest quality amp to consider with the Susvara. Could be ego/sales bluster. If I had a Susvara I would try out some alternates and see what matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back