Hifiman Ananda
Jun 16, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #3,811 of 4,987
Jun 16, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #3,812 of 4,987
It's got peak at 7k - agree on the female vocals. too many too edgy. An amp or DAC that's bright, can make it worse. Overall it's thin sounding lacking body. Some claim its transparent. Where are the overtones of the cello? Why is the soundstage so tall and narrow? Why does the bass lack impact?

When some (not you) make claims, make them as $699 or lower budget killer. Because it's no HE-6, Voce, HEK se, LCD-4, etc. and right here at my house, my well modded HE-500 runs rings around them.

BTW, EQ helps the Ananda treble peak, but is useless on bass impact.
Again, try the Ananda with a CTH

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #3,813 of 4,987
Again, try the Ananda with a CTH
Helps with the high end. Not a help in the bass. Good SS amps show its true sound. Tubes as always editorialize - which I like at times, and yes could help here in some ways.. Digital parametric EQ far cheaper in fixing that treble issue, but the right tubes could give it some of the denseness it needs to sound like music and not overly scrubbed pale electrical playback of music.

BTW, all HFM's I've owned - or heard - outside of the Susvara need some serious EQ for the highs.

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #3,814 of 4,987
Helps with the high end. Not a help in the bass. Good SS amps show its true sound. Tubes as always editorialize - which I like at times, and yes could help here in some ways.. Digital parametric EQ far cheaper in fixing that treble issue, but the right tubes could give it some of the denseness it needs to sound like music and not overly scrubbed pale electrical playback of music.

BTW, all HFM's I've owned - or heard - outside of the Susvara need some serious EQ for the highs.
I have a Violectric SS amp which shines with planars but the Cavalli smooth out the highs, add warmth and the bass really rumble and it’s cheap. Just upgrade to the Golden Lion.

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #3,815 of 4,987
I have a Violectric SS amp which shines with planars but the Cavalli smooth out the highs, add warmth and the bass really rumble and it’s cheap. Just upgrade to the Golden Lion.
Big fan of the Violectric line. I believe the bass rumbles more with the Cavalli. But does it increase impact?

Jun 17, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #3,816 of 4,987
Big fan of the Violectric line. I believe the bass rumbles more with the Cavalli. But does it increase impact?
No it does not, definitely not. The Violectric are extremely dynamic with power to spare using toroidal transformers and large capacitors for power on demand but compared to the Cavalli it's fast, cruel and cold. I use the Violectric for pop, rock and metal and the CTH for Jazz, vocals and soft music.
And for just jazz mothing beats the Darkvoice coupled with the right tubes (most of the time exceeding the DV price 🤣🤣🤣)

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #3,817 of 4,987
No it does not, definitely not. The Violectric are extremely dynamic with power to spare using toroidal transformers and large capacitors for power on demand but compared to the Cavalli it's fast, cruel and cold. I use the Violectric for pop, rock and metal and the CTH for Jazz, vocals and soft music.
And for just jazz mothing beats the Darkvoice coupled with the right tubes (most of the time exceeding the DV price 🤣🤣🤣)
Close in spirit to my set up:

HE-6se v1/Rag 1 -> HE-500/Rag 1 -> HD-600/BHC w/ many mods

------- cool-------- -------warm----- ------- liquid -----

My favorite audio can follow the music with whatever sound is there. Its usually expensive. I had a speaker system that could pretty much deliver, still working on the cans.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #3,818 of 4,987
Close in spirit to my set up:

HE-6se v1/Rag 1 -> HE-500/Rag 1 -> HD-600/BHC w/ many mods

------- cool-------- -------warm----- ------- liquid -----

My favorite audio can follow the music with whatever sound is there. Its usually expensive. I had a speaker system that could pretty much deliver, still working on the cans.
When everyone is sleeping, I definitely prefer my speakers but that's kind of rare to happen 😃😃
I even introduced a tube buffer - cathode follower between the DAC and my amp to give additional warmth to my speakers.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #3,819 of 4,987
I have way too many headphones but after agonizing over whether to get the Ananda, I pulled the trigger on them two days and bought an open box from HeadAmp for $599 -- and they already came in yesterday and this is the first day I'm really listening to them .... I might have found my own personal endgame cans. :)

IMG_2827.jpg

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #3,820 of 4,987
I have way too many headphones but after agonizing over whether to get the Ananda, I pulled the trigger on them two days and bought an open box from HeadAmp for $599 -- and they already came in yesterday and this is the first day I'm really listening to them .... I might have found my own personal endgame cans. :)

IMG_2827.jpg
Oh dear. Congratulations trellus. What other cans do you have?

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #3,821 of 4,987
Oh dear. Congratulations trellus. What other cans do you have?
LCD-X, LCD-2, HE-560, T1 1st gen, among others. The Ananda just immediately sounded "right" to me. It's more typical for me to need a little "brain burn-in" to tune my brain's built-in EQ, so to speak, with new cans. I will say that the T1 also immediately was delightful, and it still is... but the Ananda is smoother.

Jun 18, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #3,822 of 4,987
LCD-X, LCD-2, HE-560, T1 1st gen, among others. The Ananda just immediately sounded "right" to me. It's more typical for me to need a little "brain burn-in" to tune my brain's built-in EQ, so to speak, with new cans. I will say that the T1 also immediately was delightful, and it still is... but the Ananda is smoother.
What's your amp ?

Jun 18, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #3,823 of 4,987
What's your amp ?

Right now, I'm listening to it on a bargain amp -- the Loxjie P20.

I actually tested it first straight out of an older iPhone SE with headphone jack, and it sounded surprisingly okay but of course I could tell it was not properly driven.

Early this morning I listened to it first with my iFi xCAN and that was far better than the iPhone SE, for sure. I've not tried it with any other amp yet, I do have the Drop THX 789, the Drop Cavali Liquid Carbon X, Project Solaris, and a Monolith tube DAC/amp that my make my T90 sing -- I'm sure I will try them later with these amps, over time.

Jun 18, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #3,824 of 4,987
Right now, I'm listening to it on a bargain amp -- the Loxjie P20.

I actually tested it first straight out of an older iPhone SE with headphone jack, and it sounded surprisingly okay but of course I could tell it was not properly driven.

Early this morning I listened to it first with my iFi xCAN and that was far better than the iPhone SE, for sure. I've not tried it with any other amp yet, I do have the Drop THX 789, the Drop Cavali Liquid Carbon X, Project Solaris, and a Monolith tube DAC/amp that my make my T90 sing -- I'm sure I will try them later with these amps, over time.
With this list of amps, am sure you're in for a sonic treat with the Ananda 👍👍

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #3,825 of 4,987
The upper mids dip of Audeze does sound unnatural despite their tonality being warm overall. Crincacle really dislikes the tuning of most Audezes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back