Hifiman Ananda
Jul 28, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #3,886 of 4,987
Been listening with the dx7pro with a 4.4mm bal cable, the bass response has improved quite a bit. It was slightly anemic before, this has definitely given it just enough to be a bit more satisfying.

Jul 28, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #3,887 of 4,987
I am in this club with 2nd hand one from ebay, and finds it improved version from Sundara in lower areas.
Hifiman is always correct with classical orchestral music in its tonality balance, and especially correct in highs.
it is comparable to my LCD-x and is light for summer time.
But It is a little bit lagging in sub-bass area compared to LCDs, but is ok and justified with light weight in this hot summer day and overall tonality and the tonality for voices.

Ananada is the name of the most important disciple of Buddha, and I think it serves its name value for the cash cow for Hifiman which can be a Buddha from Asia who suddenly realized what is the reality in sounding world of this universe and tried to become a Buddha for Sonic world.
In fact while the Ananda is shy on bass the Audeze is a bass head cans while lacking in the highs. Using the Reveal + would be a totally new story for the Audeze.

Jul 28, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #3,888 of 4,987
I like the highs of this phone, which is one of the legacies of Hifiman.
I had he-5LE, 6, 400, 500, and 560, which are always exceptional highs excluding he-400.
Topping A90 is good match to this and right out of the box it shows all qualities of Hifiman's household sonic signature.
It requires not huge power as was the case of He-6, but not light-weighted in mid and highs as was the case of He-560, where it evolved through Sundara to its way to higher world of sonic Buddha who cares poor man who cannot afford to get He-1000, or higher cost phones.
Wait till you try it with a Hybrid like the Cavalli CTH coupled with a golden Lion tube, you will love it as even the bass is pronounced and the mids are sooo warm.

Jul 28, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #3,889 of 4,987
All true, the overall sound from Ananda is quite lovely, but don’t you think the noticeable lightness in bass attack/traction is hard to live with after the LCD-X? It is for me, although admittedly less so on classical than on jazz. Ideally, I think I’d like Ananda’s overall sound signature with LCD-X bass and construction (without having to spend $3k to get it).

Dream on….!
While the X is a phenomenal cans especially with the Reveal +, I usually hate equalization but that was the Audeze acknowledgment of the curve sound flow, the Ananda is nice out of the box and giving the price it beats the X until the Arya beats both 😁😁

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #3,890 of 4,987
In fact while the Ananda is shy on bass
For me, the amount of bass Ananda does is spot on when I listen to orquestral music, compared to what I hear when going to live performances in classical music venues. I also find a bit of extra bass pleasant for pop and rock music, though

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #3,891 of 4,987
For me, the amount of bass Ananda does is spot on when I listen to orquestral music, compared to what I hear when going to live performances in classical music venues. I also find a bit of extra bass pleasant for pop and rock music, though
For me too in fact but can't discard the fact that it's shy of it in general compared to the Audeze line but again it's YMMV

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #3,892 of 4,987
Yes - although I’ve been an audiophile for most of the last 40 years, I’m relatively new to the headphone end of the hobby, having lived happily with just a pair of Sennheiser HD580 Precision and a modest bedside Creek headphone amp setup for ~25 of those years. Coming from the audiophile world, I have a little philosophical hang up about owning multiple headphones for different types of listening. It makes sense intellectually, and I see it is commonplace for members of this forum, but for so many years my mindset was to try to ‘perfect’ my one stereo system, I now have trouble accepting that I need multiple headphones to cover the musical landscape. I want the ‘one can to rule them all.’ 🙂
We've been flying in the same flock! 50 years almost all stereos. Then the last 5 years with the cans. But I'm getting the stereo going again. A Rotel 1080 amp, Cizek Speakers, Onkyo tuner, a modest Sony CD player, and a GFP-750 (original board) as my second rig. Next step up in cans is too much money.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #3,893 of 4,987
=)

CAD_9141.jpg

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #3,897 of 4,987
I'm once again here wondering why the Stock ananada rubber band cables make this headphone sound SO MUCH better: clearer, layered, spacious, and imaged than the like 4 aftermarket cables at the ~$100 pricepoint I've tried.

If you're not using your 3.5mm rubber tube stock cable, PM me I will very gladly take it off your hands for a good asking price, tired of chasing what hifiman somehow got so right from the factory.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #3,898 of 4,987
Mate, this is NOT single ended :scream: This is a new PRO 3.5mm balanced, the one that's used in Gustard H16 for example. It is incompatible with a normal 3.5mm SE.
This is my thinking, but wondering if the tip is just a OEM 4-pole with like an unused mic pole, quite sure my order instructed them to wire it singe-ended. It wouldn't even work if I was really plugging in a balanced end would it? Reaching out to periapt.

My AliExpress Luna cable also came and sounds VERY copper. Not even in the same league of resolution as the stock cable, like I'm missing entire parts of the song when A/Bing. Starting to think the silver in the stock cable is the real secret, and that it may actually matter somehow. May be onto the questioning the copper type being OCC too as it sounded less clear than the Periapt cable I received too.
Feel like I'm going insane here, am I hearing something others simply aren't, there's no way this is confirmation bias alone.
Hesitant to try yet another Luna cable of theirs that much better matches what Hifiman claims theirs is

How much of this snake oil really works yall

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #3,899 of 4,987
I'm once again here wondering why the Stock ananada rubber band cables make this headphone sound SO MUCH better: clearer, layered, spacious, and imaged than the like 4 aftermarket cables at the ~$100 pricepoint I've tried.
All of the aftermarket cables I've tried with Ananda and Arya sounded much better than the stock "medical tube": clearer, more layered, spacious. Even the cheap cable from Lunashops (Aliexpress) sounded better. Well, not that cheap actually because I bought an OCC 16-core pure copper that will always sound better than a stock silver plated, not to mention the stark difference in aesthetics between a very soft, thick, beautiful copper braiding and an absolutely ugly, stiff and horrible looking medical tube.

Mate, I've no idea why the stock silver plated copper sounds better for you than most aftermarket cables. Silver plated copper is generally not the best choice for quality musical experience in the first place. Especially if made so poorly as the stock one. I'm a happy owner of some Ninja cables with Canare copper (one SE 6.35 mm jack and one balanced XLR) and I've just got a Periapt XLR cable as well. I extensively tested this Periapt cable yesterday for several hours comparing it to the other ones I have. I was amazed of how much wider, more layered and resolving the sound became! For me, everything sounds better than the stock cable including the SE Lunashops OCC and SE Ninja both sounding much more textured and resolving. With an XLR balanced option you've got better layering, separation and imaging, based on my experience with Ninja XLR and Periapt XLR.

So I've nothing bad to say about Periapt. I love their cable for its sound and aesthetics. But one needs to pay close attention to the correct termination of the cable.

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #3,900 of 4,987
My AliExpress Luna cable also came and sounds VERY copper. Not even in the same league of resolution as the stock cable, like I'm missing entire parts of the song when A/Bing. Starting to think the silver in the stock cable is the real secret, and that it may actually matter. May be onto the questionable copper type too as it sounded less clear than the scuffed Periapt cable I received too.
Feel like I'm going insane here, am I hearing something others simply aren't, there's no way this is confirmation bias alone.
Hesitant to try yet another Luna cable of theirs that much better matches what Hifiman claims theirs is
Well, if you listen directly from your Samsung phone, it kinda explains the difference between your experience and of the rest of the community, I guess. In this case the silver plated stock cable is probably the best option even in terms of the sound due to the specific phone circuit. I don't know, it's just my assumption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back