Hifiman Ananda
Apr 7, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #3,496 of 4,987
I can't speak for the Arya, but I'll say compared with the Ananda the HE6se doesn't sound as "sweet" in the midrange, with slightly less mid-bass emphasis, but is definitely smoother and also better extended in the treble, without any of the harshness I heard on the Ananda. I don't think I would call one warmer than the other. I hear the Arya is even more gritty in the top end than the Ananda, and still with that plasticy timbre, which is what kept me away from it, but yeah that soundstage...makes me very curious to try them.
have you modded your grills? i did that and added XL hybrid perforated on the inside pads from brainwavz and the sound is comparable to the larger hifimans stage maybe not arya but its all i could want . the stock grills close in the sound quite a bit although i might have lost some bass but thats a maybe.

Apr 7, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #3,497 of 4,987
have you modded your grills? i did that and added XL hybrid perforated on the inside pads from brainwavz and the sound is comparable to the larger hifimans stage maybe not arya but its all i could want . the stock grills close in the sound quite a bit although i might have lost some bass but thats a maybe.
Oh yeah. Honeycomb grills installed, and some Angled Mr Speaker Ether pads on the way :sunglasses: How are the brainwavz hybrid perferated pads? I saw them and wasnt sure they'd have enough room for my dumbo ears, since they keep the same round shape of the original pads.

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #3,498 of 4,987
Is it just me or more bass have even less impact with these ? I mean it takes eq well but somehow bass became soft and less impactful, loses tactility/agility. Not fan of big boost in bass for music with this headphone. Stock bass have some sweet qualities.

I dont get why people loving the stock tonality though. Its really off to my ears between 1-5k. It might be my individual ear gain or driver variation though.
got my Arya and were able to AB with the Ananda. yea its in a different league especially the 3d soundstage (no foam padding needed) and i'm just using the A50s Amp which is not enough to power them correctly with out a balanced cable. If i get my hands on a He6se i'll definitely see which i prefer more.
The HE6SE has the Bass the Ananda doesn't, but the Ananda has it's special "shaped charge" that detonates in a special way to my ears. While the Ananda may not have the extended Bass slam of the HE6SE V2, I end up listening to both for days on end and have to remember to "switch-up" the headphones after a while. I could live with either, but having both keeps them both fresh for me.

The question is, what am I going to do with all of my Dynamic driver headphones, and IEM's? :wink:

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #3,499 of 4,987
The HE6SE has the Bass the Ananda doesn't, but the Ananda has it's special "shaped charge" that detonates in a special way to my ears. While the Ananda may not have the extended Bass slam of the HE6SE V2, I end up listening to both for days on end and have to remember to "switch-up" the headphones after a while. I could live with either, but having both keeps them both fresh for me.

The question is, what am I going to do with all of my Dynamic driver headphones, and IEM's? :wink:
That's easy, Get an OTL and you will enjoy your dynamic cans as well as the Ananda 😎😎

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #3,500 of 4,987
That's easy, Get an OTL and you will enjoy your dynamic cans as well as the Ananda 😎😎
Well, I am part way there with the Xduoo TA-20 with dual pre-amp 12AU7's + SS output, which I can use with both Dynamic and Planar.

And yes, I am looking at other Tube AMP options for both Dynamic and Planars, what OTL amps do you recommend? :)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #3,501 of 4,987
Well, I am part way there with the Xduoo TA-20 with dual pre-amp 12AU7's + SS output, which I can use with both Dynamic and Planar.

And yes, I am looking at other Tube AMP options for both Dynamic and Planars, what OTL amps do you recommend? :)
It really depends on your budget and OTLs under $500 does not mate well with planars.
The Xduoo is a hybrid and should be fine with planars.
OTL compatible with low impedance planars WOO or Feliks around 1K or you can keep it simple and get a Darkvoice or for a bit more BH Crank

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #3,502 of 4,987
It really depends on your budget and OTLs under $500 does not mate well with planars.
OTL compatible with low impedance planars WOO or Feliks around 1K or you can keep it simple and get a Darkvoice or for a bit more BH Crank
I was thinking of the entry level
Any OTL speaker amps? I've looked at the Woo / Feliks headphone amps, but IDK if they have enough power output for the HE6SE V2.

And, I "think" I like the "classic" Transformer output Tube amp sound, where I heard it first many decades ago - but I do appreciate the auto-bias technology refined since to optimize tube performance as they age and to add the flexibility of auto-configuring output tube options - so I'm looking at the Primaluna line of tube AMPs.

I still need a bit more research on which specific model, IDK how high up the chain of model features I need to go, but I think the entry level Primaluna EVO 100 AMP/Integrated would be fine for the power requirements of the HE6SE V2.

Going up the model chain a bit to the PRIMALUNA DIALOGUE PREMIUM AMP adds the simplicity of 6x 12AU7 + 4x EL34/KT88/KT120/KT150, 2 tube types to roll (after choosing power output tube) instead of 3 or 4 or more different tube types to roll.

The Primaluna Integrated amps also have a headphone tap off of the tube amp, but goes through a voltage divider to reduce the power to a friendly level tolerated by most headphones, so I'd still want to connect the HE6SE V2 to the 16/8/4 ohm taps for the full output.

Does anyone have experience with the Primaluna tube amps with the HE6SE V2?

Still looking... :)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #3,503 of 4,987

Any OTL speaker amps? I've looked at the Woo / Feliks headphone amps, but IDK if they have enough power output for the HE6SE V2.

And, I "think" I like the "classic" Transformer output Tube amp sound, where I heard it first many decades ago - but I do appreciate the auto-bias technology refined since to optimize tube performance as they age and to add the flexibility of auto-configuring output tube options - so I'm looking at the Primaluna line of tube AMPs.

I still need a bit more research on which specific model, IDK how high up the chain of model features I need to go, but I think the entry level Primaluna EVO 100 AMP/Integrated would be fine for the power requirements of the HE6SE V2.

Going up the model chain a bit to the PRIMALUNA DIALOGUE PREMIUM AMP adds several output tube options as well as simplicity of 6 - 12AU7 + 4 EL34/KT88/KT120/KT150, 2 tube types to roll (after choosing which output tube) instead of 3 or 4 or more different tube types to roll.

Normally you never go wrong with PrimaLuna products, they also have a very nice tube DAC 😍
If your budget allows you should also check the Mcintosch MHA 200
https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/headphone-amplifiers/MHA200

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #3,504 of 4,987
Normally you never go wrong with PrimaLuna products, they also have a very nice tube DAC 😍
If your budget allows you should also check the Mcintosch MHA 200
https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/headphone-amplifiers/MHA200
Yup, that's another one I am looking at, IDK if it is really going to release at $2500, that seems kind of "inexpensive" for a Mcintosh :)

I don't want to rule out the MHA200 without user reports, but the 500mA power output doesn't appear to be enough to drive the HE6SE V2, on the published specifications alone.

The Primaluna amps/integrated can drive speakers along with the HE6SE's, while the MHA200 cannot.

The McIntosh Headphone Amplifier MHA200 can be useful driving my other headphones, even if it cannot drive the HE6SE V2's adequately. :)

Getting "both" makes the most sense... :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #3,505 of 4,987

Going up the model chain a bit to the PRIMALUNA DIALOGUE PREMIUM AMP adds the simplicity of 6x 12AU7 + 4x EL34/KT88/KT120/KT150, 2 tube types to roll (after choosing power output tube) instead of 3 or 4 or more different tube types to roll.

The Primaluna Integrated amps also have a headphone tap off of the tube amp, but goes through a voltage divider to reduce the power, so I'd still want to connect the HE6SE V2 to the 16/8/4 ohm taps for the full output.

I use a Primaluna Prologue 4 running KT120 power tubes as a headphone amplifier. I use a speaker level to 4-pin XLR adaptor from Dyson Audio and run my phones on balanced cables to the adaptor. I use it with either a dac with volume control or a tube preamp to control volume levels. It's fantastic! Great tube tone and liquid smoothness with a ton of power and headroom.

I originally adopted this to run the power hungry Modhouse Argons with great success. I've have since been running my Sundaras, HE4XXs, HD600s, and HD6XXs with great effect. I think this would work wonderfully on the HE6SE or any other phone where large power and current is beneficial.

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #3,506 of 4,987
I use a Primaluna Prologue 4 running KT120 power tubes as a headphone amplifier. I use a speaker level to 4-pin XLR adaptor from Dyson Audio and run my phones on balanced cables to the adaptor. I use it with either a dac with volume control or a tube preamp to control volume levels. It's fantastic! Great tube tone and liquid smoothness with a ton of power and headroom.

I originally adopted this to run the power hungry Modhouse Argons with great success. I've have since been running my Sundaras, HE4XXs, HD600s, and HD6XXs with great effect. I think this would work wonderfully on the HE6SE or any other phone where large power and current is beneficial.
That is "music to my ears", thank you for that great run down :)

Did you try the Hifiman HE-Adapter? It looks like Dyson Audio has some short jumpers I could use to wire up the Hifiman HE-Adapter (a speaker terminal to XLR box with protection built in).

I don't see a specific XLR to speaker terminal SKU, did you get a custom one or build it yourself?

How about pre-amplifier 12AU7 / drive 12AX7 tube choices in the Primaluna Prologue 4? Which did you find most enjoyable? Why the KT120 vs other choices you tried?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #3,507 of 4,987
Yup, that's another one I am looking at, IDK if it is really going to release at $2500, that seems kind of "inexpensive" for a Mcintosh :)

I don't want to rule out the MHA200 without user reports, but the 500mA power output doesn't appear to be enough to drive the HE6SE V2, on the published specifications alone.

The Primaluna amps/integrated can drive speakers along with the HE6SE's, while the MHA200 cannot.

The MHA200 can be useful driving my other headphones, even if it cannot drive the HE6SE V2's adequately. :)

Getting "both" makes the most sense... :ksc75smile:
I never owned a PL but I have a Mcintosch Integrated Amp and I tell you there is no Freaking way you can go wrong getting a Mcintosch IMHO lol.
From experience, those guys stands firm behind their products, if you ever in a blue moon may need a technical support for their products.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #3,508 of 4,987
I just got a Feliks Elise and it works perfectly with the HE1000V2. Why is that so? I thought otl amps wouldn't be suited for planars.

Apr 8, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #3,509 of 4,987
I just got a Feliks Elise and it works perfectly with the HE1000V2. Why is that so? I thought otl amps wouldn't be suited for planars.
while Planars have low impedance still it’s hard to drive with OTLs, normally suited with Hybrids for a touch of tube sound experience.

Feliks and WOO are of the few which works with planars, exactly the reason why i mentioned both brands 😊
The Elise is a very special amp 👍

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #3,510 of 4,987
Or you can use with an output transformer coupled tube amp. I use one as a headphone amplifier driving planars with great success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back