Hifiman Ananda
Apr 10, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #3,526 of 4,987
Normally I would agree except I have a large head and could never get a good seal with my ear in the center of the driver without it hanging off the bottom of my jaw. That is to say at least 50% of people will not get a perfect seal probably much higher percentage. Also the group delay is very bad and definitely audible. Also why bother getting high-end amplifiers when the headphone is over 5% distortion at 100 dB which is totally reachable on a loud song. There are definitely issues with the High frequencies. It was a headphone for me that required EQ to be totally listenable. My he6se I've never even thought about EQ because the highest don't have that peaky sound although I do think they are great headphones I was kind of shocked considering the HE6 measured world class and it is a decade old.

The HE6 upper mids and treble transition is smooth. The Ananda is great but I think his review was fair. Objectively speaking. it definitely has more distortion in the upper mids relative to the HE6. It's a big driver and keeping distortion down is tough unless you thin the pads, but then you lose the super tall soundstage and open sound. To me, it was a decision that Hifiman took, to preserve it's presentation and I'm happy that they did.

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #3,528 of 4,987
Not too much value in broken-seal measurements.
Not if you’re among the people who won’t get a proper seal with it. What few people realise is that Rtings’ measurements in the bass are done on five real humans with in ear mics. The traces at the bottom in the bass correspond to Amir’s measurements : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#670/4012
It’s just that the Ananda, like a lot of headphones, isn’t designed well enough to ensure a proper fit across a wide range of listeners.

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #3,529 of 4,987
as for fit, I've read lots of people have the lower jaw pain. I get it after extended sessions with the Ananda as well.
How have you adjusted the fit? The earcups are so long I initially simply wore it with the adjustment fully in the yoke. Then after I while I experimented with drawing out a click at a time, and am now at 5 clicks out on boths sides, and for me that helps the stability of the fit.

Sorry to hear you are having adaptation discomfort, I hope it passes as you get used to wearing the Ananda.

How long can you wear them before starting to feel the discomfort? I wouldn't push past that much until you are comfortable again at that elapsed time period, no sense causing a recurring strain repetition - that makes it tough to get past later.

I have that with my knees, and have learned to not "tough it out", and sit and rest, take anti-inflammatory treatments as applicable. Of course for my knees I am under care of several Doctors, and I take a few anti-inflammatory supplements as well as prescription. I should have taken this route 10 years earlier and I'd be better off now.

On a cheerful note, I'm really enjoying the relaxation of mind and body by listening to my favorite music through the Ananda's :)
Not if you’re among the people who won’t get a proper seal with it. ...It’s just that the Ananda, like a lot of headphones, isn’t designed well enough to ensure a proper fit across a wide range of listeners.
The Ananda's geometry and size are definite limiting factors. Fortunately I have a long (big) head, and I am 6'4" tall, which gives the Ananda a firm perch to rest on.

Even so it isn't a tight fit, and I don't think I would want it to be. It is stable and firm in place sitting up, but laying down it can drift back - pushing my ears off center - and so I push the headphones forward every so often while I am laying down, to correct for the drift. I don't find it unusual, I adjust my other headphones as well - each with their own special adjustments. It is simply another adaptation we learn to accomdate an apparatus on our heads we weren't born with.

I don't notice any lack of seal - or Bass/Sub-Bass change when the Ananda moves about, but the soundstage is most enjoyable when my ears are centered in the middle of the earcups.

For people with untenable fitment issues I'd suggest returning the Ananda and get the Hifiman HE6SE V2, as I find that is a more "normal" fit and I enjoy it immensely - as well as I enjoy the Ananda. :)

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #3,530 of 4,987
How have you adjusted the fit? The earcups are so long I initially simply wore it with the adjustment fully in the yoke. Then after I while I experimented with drawing out a click at a time, and am now at 5 clicks out on boths sides, and for me that helps the stability of the fit.

Sorry to hear you are having adaptation discomfort, I hope it passes as you get used to wearing the Ananda.

How long can you wear them before starting to feel the discomfort? I wouldn't push past that much until you are comfortable again at that elapsed time period, no sense causing a recurring strain repetition - that makes it tough to get past later.

I have that with my knees, and have learned to not "tough it out", and sit and rest, take anti-inflammatory treatments as applicable. Of course for my knees I am under care of several Doctors, and I take a few anti-inflammatory supplements as well as prescription. I should have taken this route 10 years earlier and I'd be better off now.

On a cheerful note, I'm really enjoying the relaxation of mind and body by listening to my favorite music through the Ananda's :)

The Ananda's geometry and size are definite limiting factors. Fortunately I have a long (big) head, and I am 6'4" tall, which gives the Ananda a firm perch to rest on.

Even so it isn't a tight fit, and I don't think I would want it to be. It is stable and firm in place sitting up, but laying down it can drift back - pushing my ears off center - and so I push the headphones forward every so often while I am laying down, to correct for the drift. I don't find it unusual, I adjust my other headphones as well - each with their own special adjustments. It is simply another adaptation we learn to accomdate an apparatus on our heads we weren't born with.

I don't notice any lack of seal - or Bass/Sub-Bass change when the Ananda moves about, but the soundstage is most enjoyable when my ears are centered in the middle of the earcups.

For people with untenable fitment issues I'd suggest returning the Ananda and get the Hifiman HE6SE V2, as I find that is a more "normal" fit and I enjoy it immensely - as well as I enjoy the Ananda. :)

I wear them higher up, bottom inner of the pad just about touches my lobes. I can go for over half an hour. I've adjusted the clamp on the headband and the angle on yokes a bit. its more comfortable now. Sorry about your knees, good luck. Yeah, it's a good idea to listen to your body when it tells you to give something a rest :)

Apr 10, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #3,531 of 4,987
Not if you’re among the people who won’t get a proper seal with it. What few people realise is that Rtings’ measurements in the bass are done on five real humans with in ear mics. The traces at the bottom in the bass correspond to Amir’s measurements : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#670/4012
It’s just that the Ananda, like a lot of headphones, isn’t designed well enough to ensure a proper fit across a wide range of listeners.

Yup, 100%

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #3,532 of 4,987
I wear them higher up, bottom inner of the pad just about touches my lobes. I can go for over half an hour. I've adjusted the clamp on the headband and the angle on yokes a bit. its more comfortable now. Sorry about your knees, good luck. Yeah, it's a good idea to listen to your body when it tells you to give something a rest :)
yes i did this at first but then i realized the center of the 6" planar driver is 2 inches above my hear drum and i wasnt getting the best sound to i had to fully extend the cups but even then it wasnt enough to center my ears totally and the bottom was hanging off my jaw and my head is HUGE no motorcycle helmets can fit me. so the he6se is really perfect for me. less sibilant stronger brother and with easily upgraded grills and pads its another level. i do wish the anandas fit i would have kept them as well.

Apr 10, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #3,533 of 4,987
Weird because I get a seal with the Ananda and the Arya and my head is regular-sized. Sure they reach my jaw, but I found the pads soft enough to contour to my jaw line in such a manner that the pads leave no gaps behind (at least none that I can feel). I wear my Arya just three clicks up from the smallest setting. Anyways, I am no fan of the Ananda for other reasons and I care not one whit if they are panned. Still, the flawed methodology of his Ananda measurements casts doubt of their veracity in my mind.
The pads took a while to contour with my head when I first got my pair. I wish the housings swiveled quite a bit more as that would have helped the fit. It’s good now, but it took about a week of use for the pads to seal properly for me.

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #3,534 of 4,987
The pads took a while to contour with my head when I first got my pair. I wish the housings swiveled quite a bit more as that would have helped the fit. It’s good now, but it took about a week of use for the pads to seal properly for me.
I agree that the fixed swivel does the Ananda no favors when it comes to fit. Personally, I find the swiveling yokes of the HEXv2, Arya, and HEKv1 to be a better fit for my head than the Ananda.

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #3,535 of 4,987
Can't comment on the LCD 4 as I haven't heard it, but the Fostex TH900 mkII is the best bass can I've heard, in terms of slam. That thing is off the charts.
For sure. I’m sure my emu teak gets close, but Ill get a 900 someday. Ananda is doing everything else better though, so it has dethroned my main x00/teak setup that kept me happy for 5 years.

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #3,536 of 4,987
How do you feel about the stock cable? All the reviewers seemed to hate it, but I feel Iike they missed the point—there don’t seem to be any lighter materials that could’ve been used. I feel like hifiman really just wanted to minimize weight and they nailed it.

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #3,537 of 4,987
The fitment issue is something he continually has although in this he did say he tried pressing down while measuring and when I had the ananda my main reason for selling was the fitment issues it's just way too long so it is fair criticism but I understand it could be affecting the measurements if he didn't get a good seal but it appears he mostly did. He has the best measuring equipment or maybe the second best in the world so it is good to have the data.
I feel most people who are doing measurements with the egg shaped Hifimans are aware about the seal and placement issues when handling it. That said, measurements from the ones I mentioned have consistency with some unit variation, but not to the degree of difference that Amir has. Doesn't matter if Amir has the best equipment money can buy - measurements should have consistency with even the second or third best equipment used by other people, despite some variation in the results. Having a high degree of difference either points to every other measurements made being incorrect, or the outlier being the one so. In this case, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #3,538 of 4,987
Doesn't matter if Amir has the best equipment money can buy - measurements should have consistency with even the second or third best equipment used by other people, despite some variation in the results. Having a high degree of difference either points to every other measurements made being incorrect, or the outlier being the one so. In this case, I'm leaning towards the latter.
True, it's better to be knowledgeable in measurements than have the best equipment. You could have the best equipment and don't know how to make the best of the equipments. There's been people with lesser equipment that was more of pioneers or had real knowledge of measurements than people that touts having better gear (all they mainly do is talk about how great their and better their equipment is.). Those people deserve the better equipment. The people that can actually figure it out themselves and make better use of it.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #3,539 of 4,987
True, it's better to be knowledgeable in measurements than have the best equipment. You could have the best equipment and don't know how to make the best of the equipments. There's been people with lesser equipment that was more of pioneers or had real knowledge of measurements than people that touts having better gear (all they mainly do is talk about how great their and better their equipment is.). Those people deserve the better equipment. The people that can actually figure it out themselves and make better use of it.
i agree. but when amir directly reported to bill gates reguarding his research into audio compression and also has the best gear it is at least worth a look. i dont agree with him on many things but his techincal knowledge about audio compression and equipment isnt just made up or a fraud. the measurements speak for themselves and all he has to do is step out of the way. which he doesnt always do. again the anandas have a very strange shape and you are seeing the effects here. people should know about that. i think its a great headphone. sucks about the distorion and phase alignment unless someone could prove thats because of the lack of seal but i dont think so.

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #3,540 of 4,987
i agree. but when amir directly reported to bill gates reguarding his research into audio compression and also has the best gear it is at least worth a look. i dont agree with him on many things but his techincal knowledge about audio compression and equipment isnt just made up or a fraud. the measurements speak for themselves and all he has to do is step out of the way. which he doesnt always do. again the anandas have a very strange shape and you are seeing the effects here. people should know about that. i think its a great headphone. sucks about the distorion and phase alignment unless someone could prove thats because of the lack of seal but i dont think so.
I would look at other measurements other than Amir's, not just Amir's. See how they differentiate, etc.. It's not set in stone that Amir's is the standard. I only see Amir's measurements as just another rig's result.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back