Hifiman Ananda
Apr 2, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #3,466 of 4,987
Not completely Ananda related, but I can confirm that switching to thicker pads, i.e moving drivers farther away from ears, increased the bass response of my EMu Teak. I’ll have to test this when my ananda gets here. I’m a huge basshead, hoping the ananda will deliver.
If your a huge bass head then the Ananda is prob not for you. Although the bass response does go low and clean but its not impactful or prominent. the He6se and Sundara might be your cup of tea.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #3,467 of 4,987
If your a huge bass head then the Ananda is prob not for you. Although the bass response does go low and clean but its not impactful or prominent. the He6se and Sundara might be your cup of tea.
Well we’ll see! All the reviews seem to indicate that it takes EQ very well, so between my ifi xbass and Loki, I should be able to add about +20 dB to the subbass if the ananda will take it. Not too worried since the emu teak has me covered when I really need to get dirty with bass. It’ll just be really nice if I find the ananda satisfactory while also getting big improvements across the board.

I’ve always wanted to experience planar bass, but the lcd-xc, my top choice was just not feasible for me, coming in at about 2x the price of ananda. The YouTube comparison between lcd-xc and ananda from Adam duff lucidpixul actually seems to indicate that the ananda bass might be pretty satisfactory with the way the drivers cover so much of your face.

Just looking forward to finding out for myself! Reviews very wildly for everything so I’m still in that process of figuring out what I really like, and hopefully, am about to experience a tangible jump from “mid” to “hi” fi.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #3,468 of 4,987
Have to disagree with you there, regarding the soundstage been "very wide" maybe when compared with a HD600 but having the K1000 and listened to a HD800s its not even close. but those headphones i've mentioned has one of the widest soundstages for headphones. The Amanda soundstage is just outside the ear thats with the 20cm foam insert. with out it its even smaller.
Also to me at the beginning the soundstage sounded small, but found the "right position" I think it is nice wide, it does not play in your head at all.

I've never heard the HD 800 which I know has a huge soundstage, but I find Ananda's to be more or less like the AKG K712 Pro - maybe less tall and deep but equally wide - that I have had and which is often mentioned for having a very wide soundstage.

Apr 3, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #3,470 of 4,987
Just got the HE6se v2 and holy moly...Ananda, your huge images and giant drivers will be missed, but this is a serious upgrade. Something magic about these. And guess what? The ZMF co-pilot pad fits the HE6se as well...who knew?? :sweat_smile:

IMG_4339.jpeg
IMG_4338.jpeg

Apr 3, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #3,471 of 4,987
Just got the HE6se v2 and holy moly...Ananda, your huge images and giant drivers will be missed, but this is a serious upgrade. Something magic about these. And guess what? The ZMF co-pilot pad fits the HE6se as well...who knew?? :sweat_smile:

Pad modding for the HE6se will be much easier been round lol. Don't think i'll bother with the Ananda anymore. My topping D50s stack is good enough to drive out its full potential. Just isn't good enough for me. Coming from a end game setup i think I'll need a near end game Can as a replacement. Now its the question of Arya or HE6se :)

Apr 3, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #3,472 of 4,987
Well we’ll see! All the reviews seem to indicate that it takes EQ very well

Bass is not monolithic. There is impact (not done well by Ananda no matter how high you turn the bass). There is speed/damping/sustain. There are more. Ananada is quick, clean rise time, pitch is good. But when you start talking grunt and impact they are borderline effete (for hard charging music - for classical and quintets its actually pretty close). HE-6, HE-6se1, HE6se2, HE-500 (w/ mods) are all more satisfying. So are some hammer of the god cans in the 2-5k range.

I know all of the long cup HFM's and only the Susvara, HEK v2, and HEXse, and somewhat the Arya don't fall in the same trap as the Ananda. The HEX v2 is in the same trap, so is the HEK v1 - the 3 earliest long cup designs as it turns out.

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #3,473 of 4,987
Pad modding for the HE6se will be much easier been round lol. Don't think i'll bother with the Ananda anymore. My topping D50s stack is good enough to drive out its full potential. Just isn't good enough for me. Coming from a end game setup i think I'll need a near end game Can as a replacement. Now its the question of Arya or HE6se :)
Honestly, if you have the AKG K1000, the Arya might be more of the same kind of sound. I think generally all the egg shaped planars from Hifiman are a little thin, a little soft, and a little distant. At least the Ananda and Edition X V2 I owned were. The HE6se packs a punch and is more in your face, but the tonal balance and technicalities are just perfect.

Apr 3, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #3,475 of 4,987
Honestly, if you have the AKG K1000, the Arya might be more of the same kind of sound. I think generally all the egg shaped planars from Hifiman are a little thin, a little soft, and a little distant. At least the Ananda and Edition X V2 I owned were. The HE6se packs a punch and is more in your face, but the tonal balance and technicalities are just perfect.
from the reviews i've read Arya seems to be more warm compared to the HE6se with HE6se doing better in detail and slam. while the Arya wins in soundstage. hope i can demo both in our local store and pick a winner. With the Arya i might need to upgrade to a D90 stack but I can drive the HE6se with my K1000 speaker amp setup so that's something to consider about.

Apr 3, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #3,476 of 4,987
from the reviews i've read Arya seems to be more warm compared to the HE6se with HE6se doing better in detail and slam. while the Arya wins in soundstage. hope i can demo both in our local store and pick a winner. With the Arya i might need to upgrade to a D90 stack but I can drive the HE6se with my K1000 speaker amp setup so that's something to consider about.
I can't speak for the Arya, but I'll say compared with the Ananda the HE6se doesn't sound as "sweet" in the midrange, with slightly less mid-bass emphasis, but is definitely smoother and also better extended in the treble, without any of the harshness I heard on the Ananda. I don't think I would call one warmer than the other. I hear the Arya is even more gritty in the top end than the Ananda, and still with that plasticy timbre, which is what kept me away from it, but yeah that soundstage...makes me very curious to try them.

Apr 4, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #3,477 of 4,987
I just received my pair of Ananda's the other day. I can say that after just a few hours of listening that they have a lot more detail and clarity over the Sundara's that I own. Soundstage is also a lot better. They do seem at tad bit bright, but I'm sure the burn in period will fix that. Loving the Ananda's so far.
I've said the same thing a few times on here, so apologies for sounding like a broken record to anyone. The Oratory EQ for these is really effective. The Ananda EQ extremely well.

Apr 4, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #3,478 of 4,987
Well we’ll see! All the reviews seem to indicate that it takes EQ very well, so between my ifi xbass and Loki, I should be able to add about +20 dB to the subbass if the ananda will take it. Not too worried since the emu teak has me covered when I really need to get dirty with bass. It’ll just be really nice if I find the ananda satisfactory while also getting big improvements across the board.

I’ve always wanted to experience planar bass, but the lcd-xc, my top choice was just not feasible for me, coming in at about 2x the price of ananda. The YouTube comparison between lcd-xc and ananda from Adam duff lucidpixul actually seems to indicate that the ananda bass might be pretty satisfactory with the way the drivers cover so much of your face.

Just looking forward to finding out for myself! Reviews very wildly for everything so I’m still in that process of figuring out what I really like, and hopefully, am about to experience a tangible jump from “mid” to “hi” fi.

I use xbass on my Xcan with the Ananda, and they handle it well. Enjoy your new headphones.

Apr 4, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #3,479 of 4,987
I've said the same thing a few times on here, so apologies for sounding like a broken record to anyone. The Oratory EQ for these is really effective. The Ananda EQ extremely well.

It helps as long as one ignores the laughable bass recommendation, but even after careful EQ the Ananda doesn't do slam in the bass, is thin sounding in the mids and a bit over energized and lacking subtle details in the treble. Still, its the best overall can at its price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back