Hifiman Ananda
Jan 16, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #1,757 of 4,987
Jan 16, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #1,758 of 4,987
Seemingly my term "solid state" in reference to the Ananda is misunderstood. Here:

Demo'd vs:

LCD-3
LCD-4
Senn 800S, 600
MrSpeakers 1.1 Closed, Aeon Closed, Aeon Open
HFM HEK v2, HEX v2, HE-6 (6 screw), HE-500 (modded), Arya

on Astall&Kern 3k, Ragnarok 2, Burson

With a variety of music that could be described alternately as: romantic, warm, aggressive, stark - all the cans were judged on how well they did against various types of music (stellar recordings - several of them by artists I've seen perform the pieces live). They all did their best. The Ananda distinguished itself by maintaining its personality the best - meaning it failed to be an objective reporter on what it was handed. The highs were uninviting, the mids and highs sounded very processed, unnatural, and electronic - "solid state" for short. It HAS NOTHING to do with the gear driving it. I find it to be an innate quality of the the headphone itself.

Jan 16, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #1,759 of 4,987
They all did their best. The Ananda distinguished itself by maintaining its personality the best - meaning it failed to be an objective reporter on what it was handed.
I find this statement to be an oxymoron, you use the word objective in a sentence that is purely subjective.
The highs were uninviting, the mids and highs sounded very processed, unnatural, and electronic - "solid state" for short. It HAS NOTHING to do with the gear driving it. I find it to be an innate quality of the the headphone itself.
Again this is your opinion and you are entitled to state your own thoughts. I for one understand the term "solid state sound" as I come from 30+ years of speaker audio. On the other hand you say "it has nothing to do with the gear driving it." I for one and probably most audiophiles and audio enthusiast would vehemently disagree. A set direct heated triod tube amp will sound different than a push pull tube amp or a hybrid tube amp, let alone something like a big solid state Krell amp. It is my opinion that most folks who have been in audio for a while would be able to hear differences between these. However, which one would sound the best, would be a matter of taste and opinion of the listener . I do believe like most on this forum that upstream gear can have an effect on the finale sound of the headphones or speakers.

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #1,760 of 4,987
Seemingly my term "solid state" in reference to the Ananda is misunderstood. Here:

Demo'd vs:

LCD-3
LCD-4
Senn 800S, 600
MrSpeakers 1.1 Closed, Aeon Closed, Aeon Open
HFM HEK v2, HEX v2, HE-6 (6 screw), HE-500 (modded), Arya

on Astall&Kern 3k, Ragnarok 2, Burson

With a variety of music that could be described alternately as: romantic, warm, aggressive, stark - all the cans were judged on how well they did against various types of music (stellar recordings - several of them by artists I've seen perform the pieces live). They all did their best. The Ananda distinguished itself by maintaining its personality the best - meaning it failed to be an objective reporter on what it was handed. The highs were uninviting, the mids and highs sounded very processed, unnatural, and electronic - "solid state" for short. It HAS NOTHING to do with the gear driving it. I find it to be an innate quality of the the headphone itself.
I respectfully disagree with this post on a number of issues:

1) Most of us here, as audiophiles, know the differences between a solid state amp (and pre-amp) and those that use tubes. Here, the obvious beckons as each sounds and has the characteristics of itself. Here, by definition and the laws of physics, solid state will sound solid state and tubes will sound like tubes. Therefore, by definition and the laws of physics, speakers on solid state will obviously sound solid state and will have tube sound on a tube setup. Therefore, by definition and the laws of physics, it is the equipment being used.

2) By definition and the laws of physics, any speaker hooked-up to a solid state setup will sound solid state and the only difference will be the coloring (or lack thereof for neutral) of the speaker.

3) The Ananda is known for being neutral, and is therefore showing what the equipment in front of it sounds like. Therefore, complaining that the Ananda “sounds solid state” on your solid state setup is what myself, and possibly a few others here, take issue with as the Ananda is doing exactly what it was designed to do and why so many of us like it for doing exactly that.

4) Finally, It has become overwhelmingly obvious from your numerous “correction posts” that you favor colored over neutral headphones.

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #1,761 of 4,987
Guys, maybe of course the question is off topic. Does anyone have experience listening to the HEK V1? How are they compared to Ananda?

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,762 of 4,987
I find this statement to be an oxymoron, you use the word objective in a sentence that is purely subjective.

Good thing you were still well able to work it out.

Again this is your opinion and you are entitled to state your own thoughts. I for one understand the term "solid state sound" as I come from 30+ years of speaker audio. On the other hand you say "it has nothing to do with the gear driving it." I for one and probably most audiophiles and audio enthusiast would vehemently disagree. A set direct heated triod tube amp will sound different than a push pull tube amp or a hybrid tube amp, let alone something like a big solid state Krell amp. It is my opinion that most folks who have been in audio for a while would be able to hear differences between these. However, which one would sound the best, would be a matter of taste and opinion of the listener . I do believe like most on this forum that upstream gear can have an effect on the finale sound of the headphones or speakers.

Obviously I was referring to the fact that I compared a number of headphones on the same amps/dac's in 3 different env's. My subjective finding is that the Ananda was the least able to transmit the feeling and emotion of the musical selections I used.

Excuse the less than ideal use of terms in that post, a cursory check of more of them will assure which side I'm on.. Obviously amps are different from each other as my ownership of dozes of them over the past 48 years demonstrates.

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #1,763 of 4,987
Guys, maybe of course the question is off topic. Does anyone have experience listening to the HEK V1? How are they compared to Ananda?

Depends what you like. The HEX v1 has the weaker plastic headband bits compared to the v2. There are reviews elsewhere in HF. For s shortcut answer:

Ananda is brighter & more exciting, more digital, or solid state - the HEX is softer, tube like, relaxing. Neither is real close to objective. If you could blend them you might be close to it. The Clear, Arya, HEKse, 007 would be closer to an objective listen,

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #1,764 of 4,987
I respectfully disagree with this post on a number of issues:

1) Most of us here, as audiophiles, know the differences between a solid state amp (and pre-amp) and those that use tubes. Here, the obvious beckons as each sounds and has the characteristics of itself. Here, by definition and the laws of physics, solid state will sound solid state and tubes will sound like tubes. Therefore, by definition and the laws of physics, speakers on solid state will obviously sound solid state and will have tube sound on a tube setup. Therefore, by definition and the laws of physics, it is the equipment being used.

Please - my point has nothing per se whatever to do with physics. I had a number of fine headphones, ran 3 different Anandas over time on 3 different solid state amps. Those rigs and recordings used are well able to conjure up a rich romantic, and harmonically correct sounds. Of all the headphones the Ananda was LEAST able to produce those sounds - and instead sounded threadbare, bright, harmonically bereft (or the brightness obscured the harmonics). BTW, there are some tube amps - Jadis and ARC spring to mind which do not sound very tubelike as a whole raft of hybrid amps also do not.

2) By definition and the laws of physics, any speaker hooked-up to a solid state setup will sound solid state and the only difference will be the coloring (or lack thereof for neutral) of the speaker.

Yes, the lack of one headphone to sound like the program material/dacs. It was certainly a very tough group of headphones to go up against. A middle of the road finish would be seen as good, or even a victory. I didn't like either of Aeon's but they still did better.

3) The Ananda is known for being neutral, and is therefore showing what the equipment in front of it sounds like. Therefore, complaining that the Ananda “sounds solid state” on your solid state setup is what myself, and possibly a few others here, take issue with as the Ananda is doing exactly what it was designed to do and why so many of us like it for doing exactly that.

I don't find it neutral. It is known by many as bright. Your continual attempt to cover up/obscure those that don't agree will not result in "victory". People ask, I'll tell them my experience in all good faith, and you tell them yours, but do not claim it is 100% accepted that they are know for being neutral as they are not.

4)
Finally, It has become overwhelmingly obvious from your numerous “correction posts” that you favor colored over neutral headphones.

Oh, I guess you're done with "respectfully disagree". I prefer what my budget and ears say. If I had a limitless budget I'd have sets of Voce, 007, Raal, HEDD, LCD4, Abyss Phi, Arya.faster than you could generate another "physics" argument.

The 3 cans I listen to have all been modified - that comes from being a kit builder, woofer cabinet maker, sound reinforcement pro, and speaker tweeter modifier (whatever -> ribbons starting with DQ-10's in the early 80's)

HE-500 (cost $360, mods $180) - amazing can modded - very neutral
HEX v2 (cost $712, mods $115) - much more detail and high end than stock
HD-600 (cost $300, mods $140) - mods again make this more neutral than stock

Have the HE6SE, but its not on the regular play list since the 4k issue is so brutal (not satisfied w/ current EQ). I also have the HE5LE, MD-4XX, Fostex FH500RP; had the LCD2, MD-X00 Mahogany, Alara, HE5SE in the past 18 months, and they are sold off, or boxed up for being not neutral enough.

My front end is better than my current rotation: Gumby 1, Ragnarok 1.

So I have two neutral cans and one relaxing can. Burn me at the stake - LOL. It won't give any lasting satisfaction as those who do not bow to the Ananda can never be stopped.

BTW didn't you give your list of tubes and DAC settings advice just 2-3 days ago. You mean you tailor your sound for anything but neutral? Good for the goose but not the gander?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #1,765 of 4,987
I’m not so sure I understand the “lack of bass issues” with the Ananda either as I don’t experience that at all, and I like tubes. I use my 788 and the only Ananda “issue” I can somewhat agree with some other posters here about is that the Ananda does in fact have “solid state vocals,” but the 788 is a solid state amp, so duh. I have no Ananda “issues” at all with the high, or low, end. I also don’t experience the 8k bump some here talk about quite a bit, and again, my 788 is solid state. I did pull out my HE560 as others here were talking about round vs. teardrop soundstage and I did an A/B and the soundstages are really not comparable in my perspective. I did however notice an annoying 5.9k bump on the HE560 that was not on the Ananda and I had to peq out 1.5+ db as it really annoyed me, so if I can notice a 5.9k bump, I should be able to notice an 8k bump some talk about on the Ananda, but I don’t experience that at all. I will add that going from my HEX V2 to the Ananda does “shock the ears” a bit because the Ananda has a high end the HEX V2 does not, but my ears adjust quickly and it’s like a “breath of fresh air,” or “removing a covering from my speakers,” as the high end extends on the Ananda that does not on the HEX V2.

While I’m at it, as someone who likes tubes, I really think the Ananda would benefit from a EL34 or EL84 power tube as the smooth top end, rich mids, and lush bottom I think would really make the Ananda sing. Also, while I’m at it, I think the HEX would be great on a 6L6 or KT88 because of the characteristics of each. However, for those who are not into tubes, the “solid state issue” may not even be an issue.

I strongly recommend you stop feeding this troll. If you look on this thread this troll is the a good amount of the posts and he makes up the majority of the negative posts. There’s only a handful of users that make up all the negative posts.

Obviously there’s something he can’t hear when everyone including professional and blogger reviewers seem to love these cans.

Jan 16, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #1,766 of 4,987
I strongly recommend you stop feeding this troll. If you look on this thread this troll is the a good amount of the posts and he makes up the majority of the negative posts. There’s only a handful of users that make up all the negative posts.

Obviously there’s something he can’t hear when everyone including professional and blogger reviewers seem to love these cans.

Ah, I see your point, your opinion is better than mine thus I am a troll.

Lots of people including reviewers find this can to have issues. Its far from the worst can. I find it bright and I find details such as overtones missing or obscured by the bright treble. You need not respond but if you do with insults it'll be instant karma back or if it's worthless it will just be ignored. Have a fine day.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #1,768 of 4,987
Thanks, I have known for the past few weeks that something “unusual” was going on and I was just having fun with that poster for entertainment purposes for a smile and a laugh. I don’t take that poster seriously at all and thought, “Hey, let’s poke it with a stick and see what happens?” That was my previous post from a few days ago, which worked like a charm, as the bait was taken and resulted in I think it’s seven “unusual” replies for all of us to read, smile, and laugh at as they all make no sense at all. I enjoyed reading the numerous “unusual replies” as I knew I was just “poking it with a stick” and the replies were never disappointing as it never took long to read and start thinking, “What, this isn’t even relevant and makes no sense at all,” where I knew I was winning as I just smiled and laughed while reading the posts as it was all just a game for me. I hope everybody enjoyed the “What, this isn’t even relevant and makes no sense at all” posts and got a good smile and laugh out of them like I did. Oh, and if anybody is wondering, yes, I am in fact claiming victory. : )

This post is hilarious because of its ridiculous hypocrisy. You call someone else a troll for having a different opinion than yours, and yet this entire post is you admitting to trolling. Smh.

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #1,769 of 4,987
Wow...this thread has become a little fractious.

I think there's a very emotional connection in some people between themselves and their headphones of choice. I certainly recognise it in me. God forbid anyone describe the Nighthawks as veiled, I'll be all over them!!
It's also a little tricky when we see people describing a headphone we are delighted with in absolute terms as opposed to peppering their comments with "IMHO" - again, I have reacted badly to this kind of thing in the past as well.

For me, the Ananda's are an absolute joy with no obvious weak spots and certainly no lack of bass or warmth. If I wanted a warmer presentation, I'd use the 'hawks.
However, that's me, my ears, my source and my preferences. Someone else may not be so delighted.
It's a huge part of this hobby - finding the cans that are just right for you in any given phase of your life and which fits within the price you are prepared to pay.

Absolutely love the Anandas - end game for me at the moment. But as The Dude says.......

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #1,770 of 4,987
Thanks, I have known for the past few weeks that something “unusual” was going on and I was just having fun with that poster for entertainment purposes for a smile and a laugh. I don’t take that poster seriously at all and thought, “Hey, let’s poke it with a stick and see what happens?” That was my previous post from a few days ago, which worked like a charm, as the bait was taken and resulted in I think it’s seven “unusual” replies for all of us to read, smile, and laugh at as they all make no sense at all. I enjoyed reading the numerous “unusual replies” as I knew I was just “poking it with a stick” and the replies were never disappointing as it never took long to read and start thinking, “What, this isn’t even relevant and makes no sense at all,” where I knew I was winning as I just smiled and laughed while reading the posts as it was all just a game for me. I hope everybody enjoyed the “What, this isn’t even relevant and makes no sense at all” posts and got a good smile and laugh out of them like I did. Oh, and if anybody is wondering, yes, I am in fact claiming victory. : )

So, 44 posts in 10 weeks and how much of that taken up by proving you cannot understand the meaning of "solid state" in an audiophile context? Counting these posts as a victory proves one thing, you are very hungry for victories.

Again, the Ananda has some nice traits, and some flaws, I have yet to see a review from a pro claim that the Ananda is the perfect headphone - therefore it stands that is has issues, Writing about those issues shouldn't cause anyone with a normal ego structure any particular pain. Clearly "winning" isn't enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Back