Hifiman Ananda
Dec 31, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #1,726 of 4,987
Beyers are certainly as a group brighter than HFM. Having read just about every comment on HFM written I here and having listened to almost every one made since '10, I'd say on average, HFM are a bit bright on average. HE-4, HE-5 (all), HE-6 (both), HE-4** (all), HEK (v1&2), Arya, Ananda are all bright. Some seem less due to more bass & mids. Some are bright were it doesn't bother some. Others: all HE-5** (cept 500), Ananda, HEK v1, HE6SE are bright were I don't like Like it or maybe unit variability kicked in. 500 has a lot of issues in the treble but they don't annoy as badly. Toss in the mods and 5 min with them is worth way more to me in musical enjoyment and insight than the 560 or Ananda can produce in.a great deal more time.

Variability seems plausible. Also, I have a theory, when you put your hands close to earcups sound changes dramatically, it becomes much thinner and tinnier, so the same way would our heads being close to it not affect the sound? Therefore the fit on the head, how close our flesh gets to the drivers or even how big someones ears are might affect the sound. I am not sure how crazy this sounds but I do not see a reason why this would not happen.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #1,727 of 4,987
Variability seems plausible. Also, I have a theory, when you put your hands close to earcups sound changes dramatically, it becomes much thinner and tinnier, so the same way would our heads being close to it not affect the sound? Therefore the fit on the head, how close our flesh gets to the drivers or even how big someones ears are might affect the sound. I am not sure how crazy this sounds but I do not see a reason why this would not happen.
Tuning headphones is I think an area that is not paid enough attention to, but also offers less than you can do with speakers in a room. Pad depth, material inside and outside, closed, open, or partial. Materials used.... The driver gets the lions share of attention, and sad to say often (everything but the driver) needs post sales adjustments

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #1,729 of 4,987
I just A/B'd the Ananda against the LCD2 Classic for the Roses From Friends track running from Benchmark DAC1. The difference in bass impact was minimal (actually not noticeable) until the last 1/3rd of the track where the bass ramped up a bit. At that point the LCD2 Classic barely edged the Ananda out. Not a night and day difference by any means (under 5%).

Is this how you saw it, or was the significance of the difference much larger for you from the same setup?

EDIT: when I jump back and forth between the Ananda and the LCD2 Classic the main thing that hits me is not any big difference in bass, but the LCD2 Classic's much more forwards and 'creamier' mids..

I own both, this is my experience as well. Mids are what made me buy the lcd2c. Details and treble made me by the Ananda’s. Bass is comparable for both.

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #1,730 of 4,987
I own both, this is my experience as well. Mids are what made me buy the lcd2c. Details and treble made me by the Ananda’s. Bass is comparable for both.

LCD2's are a venerable design, which doesn't reach as low as the Ananda, the Ananda is also faster, but lighter in the bass too. It doesn't have the same density or tone as the LCD2.

LCD2 mids creamier, more liquid, deeper than the Ananda. LCD2 has a bigger upper mid/low treble suck out, and Ananda has a lot more treble over 10k than then LCD2. The LCD2 treble is somewhat of an offshoot of the mids in tone, but lower in amplitude. On pop recordings or say Columbia LP's from the 60's and 70's the LCD2 treble is a blessing to the ears. Ananda more purely accurate, but also tough to listen to in long sessions because it is too bright (blend of the two might yield an excellent treble).

I think the LCD2 is a bit thick in the bass, and too rocky in response from upper mids up, but music comes out of them in a way that is both romantic and suave (akin to tubes). The Ananda seems very solid state, with a slight clean/bright edge all the time, and yet somehow missing subtle overtones and recording artifacts.

I find enough flaws in both to be more interested in higher end models from both manufacturers. The LCD4 is a great can, but too expensive new, used it could function as a top 3 can in almost any collection. The Arya is much cheaper new (but not cheap), hard to find used, and would be a top 3-4 can for almost anybody. These up market cans from the ones discussed tend to have the family sound, and sort of show the vector that the Ananda and LCD2 are on.

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #1,731 of 4,987
I have received the Ananda under the HiFiMan loaner Tour. Thank you HiFiMan.

In the next few weeks I will post my impressions.

First impressions are on build quality. Stunning.
Well packaged, designed and built.
I will test using Yggy DAC, V281 and Woo WA22 amps.
I will compare between the Aeon Open and HD6XX. I also have NightHawks but I won't compare unless someone asks.

Photo below of my gear:

177613.jpg

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #1,732 of 4,987
I have received the Ananda under the HiFiMan loaner Tour. Thank you HiFiMan.

In the next few weeks I will post my impressions.

First impressions are on build quality. Stunning.
Well packaged, designed and built.
I will test using Yggy DAC, V281 and Woo WA22 amps.
I will compare between the Aeon Open and HD6XX. I also have NightHawks but I won't compare unless someone asks.

Photo below of my gear:

177613.jpg

Great setup!

Did hifiman contact you about the loaner program? I've been waiting since day one to hear from them and I've gotten no responses or messages.

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #1,733 of 4,987
Photo below of my gear:

177613.jpg

So I focus on your stack, and go Whoa! someone put a TT on Rag 1 with little or no venting? then I saw it was a Yggy....

Your gear is better than mine: Yggy > Gumby 1; both amps > my Rag 1; Can't wait to see what TOTL can you get to push your gear.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #1,734 of 4,987
Maybe it’s just me, but comparing a round LCD2 headphone to a teardrop (egg-shaped) headphone such as an Ananda is like comparing apples and rocks as the round planar headphones provide a “wall of sound” where the teardrop planar headphones provide a “room of sound.” Here, from my perspective, comparing the LCD2 to other round headphones like the HE560, Sundara, etc, wound be much more like an apples and apples comparison. Also, with many saying the teardrop headphones provide a “HUGE” and “LARGE” sound, where the round headphones do not, is again an apples and rocks comparison. Therefore, since the round planar headphones and the teardrop planar headphones are not the same, any comparison should focus on the main differences: wall of sound vs. room of sound with huge and large sound.

Also, for readers (posters and lurkers) I feel the audiophile (flat) and audio enthusiast (adjustments) perspectives should be discussed more in-depth. For instance, from my perspective, saying the Ananda sounds “solid state” for vocals (from a solid state amp) could be argued as correct, but only from an audiophile perspective as adding some EL34 and EL84 tube sound around 750hz really makes headphones like a “solid state vocals sounding Ananda (on a solid state amp)” sound incredible and tube-like. Further, if somebody wanted to add in a KT88 shimmer, they could just add a peq around 15k. Then, if somebody wanted, they could add some 30hz – 50hz subbase for an EL34 or EL84 feel that’s tight like a 6L6. Then, if somebody wanted, they could adjust the DAC setting to increase the decay for an “I’m there” feel. Therefore, just saying the Ananda is a “bad headphone” because it has “solid state vocals (on a solid state amp)” is very deceiving and is only really fueling the Ananda bashing that’s more prevalent on this site than the people who enjoy this headphone. Additionally, there are I’m sure many listeners who would not have any issues at all with a “solid state vocals” sounding headphone as they might not even be tube fans. Therefore, there’s nothing wrong with the “solid state vocals (on a solid state amp)” on the Ananda from an audiophile perspective as it’s personal preference and can be easily adjusted from an audio enthusiast perspective.

Lastly, the Ananda is an incredible headphone and I’m not really sure why some people, who do not even own this headphone and have no intention of even buying it, continue with the bashing?

Jan 12, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #1,736 of 4,987
Maybe it’s just me, but comparing a round LCD2 headphone to a teardrop (egg-shaped) headphone such as an Ananda is like comparing apples and rocks as the round planar headphones provide a “wall of sound” where the teardrop planar headphones provide a “room of sound.” Here, from my perspective, comparing the LCD2 to other round headphones like the HE560, Sundara, etc, wound be much more like an apples and apples comparison. Also, with many saying the teardrop headphones provide a “HUGE” and “LARGE” sound, where the round headphones do not, is again an apples and rocks comparison. Therefore, since the round planar headphones and the teardrop planar headphones are not the same, any comparison should focus on the main differences: wall of sound vs. room of sound with huge and large sound.

Also, for readers (posters and lurkers) I feel the audiophile (flat) and audio enthusiast (adjustments) perspectives should be discussed more in-depth. For instance, from my perspective, saying the Ananda sounds “solid state” for vocals (from a solid state amp) could be argued as correct, but only from an audiophile perspective as adding some EL34 and EL84 tube sound around 750hz really makes headphones like a “solid state vocals sounding Ananda (on a solid state amp)” sound incredible and tube-like. Further, if somebody wanted to add in a KT88 shimmer, they could just add a peq around 15k. Then, if somebody wanted, they could add some 30hz – 50hz subbase for an EL34 or EL84 feel that’s tight like a 6L6. Then, if somebody wanted, they could adjust the DAC setting to increase the decay for an “I’m there” feel. Therefore, just saying the Ananda is a “bad headphone” because it has “solid state vocals (on a solid state amp)” is very deceiving and is only really fueling the Ananda bashing that’s more prevalent on this site than the people who enjoy this headphone. Additionally, there are I’m sure many listeners who would not have any issues at all with a “solid state vocals” sounding headphone as they might not even be tube fans. Therefore, there’s nothing wrong with the “solid state vocals (on a solid state amp)” on the Ananda from an audiophile perspective as it’s personal preference and can be easily adjusted from an audio enthusiast perspective.

Lastly, the Ananda is an incredible headphone and I’m not really sure why some people, who do not even own this headphone and have no intention of even buying it, continue with the bashing?

Ignore them. Most are salty Edition X owners.

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #1,737 of 4,987

LCD has to be a 10 year old design. I like the voicing of the HFM better, and a really top notch LCD-2 might be able to beat out an Ananda, but none of the others.
A HE-500 with some mods IMO has a much better soundstage shape than the Ananda and the HEX v2 which are both very tall (too tall) and not wide enough. The primary issue with many of the teardrop shaped HFM is that while the bass goes way low and is clean, the image is too large, and the impact too spread out in some cases where the HE-6 beats them silly with very concentrated attacks and texture.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. The Ananda sounds solid state in direct comparison to gear on the same equipment that does not. That characteristic makes it "solid state" to me.

I've never heard the Ananda on tubes or tube hybrids. I have heard it on a Ragnarok 2 ($1500), stripo Burson, and an Astall & Kern SP1000M ($3000). It sounds solid state (and not just in the mids), threadbare, and lacking body. If one needs to add tone controls, mods, or colored tubes to adjust the sound, then fine, but its no longer a budget classic that can run on an average DAP or desktop - or without special instructions.

It is not required for anyone to own anything to comment here. If you hadn't put this post in here, I wouldn't be responding. I did enjoy your run down of tube types, and the mention of adjusting DAC's - which most people do not have available to them.

Nothing personal. I like a lot of your writing. In a democracy people have to agree to disagree. You are entitled to express your ideas and me mine. I can't understand why people feel that they have defend their choices and purchases. I throw dirt (some of it pretty hard - but I don't go after people, I GO AFTER gear) over a lot my purchases: HE5SE, HE6SE, Alara, 4XX, Fostex FH500RP, MD-X00, LCD2... go look it up, really you think I just illogically pick on the Ananda - go do the. I see flaws and I criticize, what would you prefer, that slather all over everything like a sales droid - where is the value added? My value here is as a very old time audiophile and burgeoning headphone guy that doesn't sugar coat things. No good for you? OK, don't read me.

I'm stoked on my HD600, HE500 (two clear classics of the past 10 years according to most), and recognize the weaknesses of my HEX v2, although I do enjoy it. I'm giving the HE6SE's a shot with EQ, or they are gone.

I really like the Arya a lot, and right now its my most likely next move of a substantial price. It's better then the HEK v1, arguable vs the HEK v2, nails the HEX v2 and Ananda - IMO.

Peace out man.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #1,738 of 4,987
Are any of the new Hifiman headphones (below $2k) worthy successors to the HE6se? I still use that headphone but I need to be teatherd to a 60lb SS vintage Amp to get it working. I wouldn't mind something comparable to drive with the KANN.
Any recommendations welcome.

Jan 13, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #1,739 of 4,987

The round planar HE-500 has a much wider, more rectangular (speaker like) away from the head soundstage than either the Ananda or HEX v2 - both of those cans have a taller and notably less wide soundstage. Posters here and elsewhere have consistently noted that, along with a preference for the HE-500 on that topic.

Also, while the Ananda and HEX v2 go deep and the bass image is larger than a round can like the HE-6, but the impact and density of serious bass notes is much more realistic on the HE-6 than the Ananda and HEX v2. I don't have enough time with the HEK v1, v2 to comment. The HEK SE and the Arya are better in this regard, but I could not A/B directly so again can't comment.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #1,740 of 4,987
Are any of the new Hifiman headphones (below $2k) worthy successors to the HE6se? I still use that headphone but I need to be teatherd to a 60lb SS vintage Amp to get it working. I wouldn't mind something comparable to drive with the KANN.
Any recommendations welcome.

I have a HE6SE, but its an Adorama which doesn't seem to be as good as the earlier ones. Right now if I was spending money in the over 1.5k range I'd be looking at the Arya vs the E2 (have never heard it). Both the HEDD and RAAL look interesting but have to be looked at carefully.

As much as I question the HE6SE, and it seems less efficient than the HE-6, I can easily drive it with the Ragnarok 1 - IE 6 wpc at 50 ohms ought to do it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back