Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread
Jan 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #286 of 552
I have a problem with my usb->spdif converter on 24/88 too, now that does drive me crazy and i actually avoid 24/88 but do have one.  I haven't noticed the 24/96 hiss though.  I will listen to see if that comes up on mine, think most of my 24 bit stuff is actually 24/48 but i know i have some 96.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #287 of 552
The hiss problem occurs on about 25% of my 24/96 albums. I have sent some files with this problem to Fang and his tech guys have confirmed that there is a compatability problem and the HM-801 is unable to play these correctly. Downsample them to 24/48 and they play fine

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #289 of 552
my hifiman 801 is coming in tomorrow... according to the tracking number
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #291 of 552
I just recently bought an 801 and must say that it sounds amazing. I can see where people are coming from when they have described it as having an "analog sound". So far I'm giving it the edge over my CLAS+Rx MK2/Pico Slim combo.

I wish I would've took the plunge on this DAP earlier, but I was always put off by the looks, the 32GB SD limit and reported bulkiness. But I was expecting it to be much bigger, the 801 is actually much thinner than my CLAS sandwich once you factor in the iPhone or iPod Classic.

About the 32GB limit, this is simply NOT true. After I heard from turokrocks in the rockbox 601 and 801 thread that he or someones else tried a 64GB SD card and worked, I took the gamble and ordered a Lexar Professional Class 10 (133x) 128 GB SDXC from Amazon and it worked!!

Just thought this would be helpful for some, not sure that all sdxc cards but that one mentioned above worked for me. This now leaves me wondering why people keep saying the limit is 32GB.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #292 of 552
They say that because that is the only officially supported size as that is the max under the SDHC standard. It's great news if some high capacity SDXC cards work but if HiFiMan states this people will expect all SDXC cards to work which they probably wont

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #293 of 552

Quote:
They say that because that is the only officially supported size as that is the max under the SDHC standard. It's great news if some high capacity SDXC cards work but if HiFiMan states this people will expect all SDXC cards to work which they probably wont

Ah, gotcha. I suspected as much. I'm glad that particular card worked for me then.

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #294 of 552
Did you need to install Rockbox to get the 128GB SD to work?

Quote:
I just recently bought an 801 and must say that it sounds amazing. I can see where people are coming from when they have described it as having an "analog sound". So far I'm giving it the edge over my CLAS+Rx MK2/Pico Slim combo.

I wish I would've took the plunge on this DAP earlier, but I was always put off by the looks, the 32GB SD limit and reported bulkiness. But I was expecting it to be much bigger, the 801 is actually much thinner than my CLAS sandwich once you factor in the iPhone or iPod Classic.

About the 32GB limit, this is simply NOT true. After I heard from turokrocks in the rockbox 601 and 801 thread that he or someones else tried a 64GB SD card and worked, I took the gamble and ordered a Lexar Professional Class 10 (133x) 128 GB SDXC from Amazon and it worked!!

Just thought this would be helpful for some, not sure that all sdxc cards but that one mentioned above worked for me. This now leaves me wondering why people keep saying the limit is 32GB.

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #296 of 552
I'm *this close* to placing the order for the aforementioned 128GB card and the 801.

I intend to use this player primarily with Grado PS500s (occasionally with GS1000is) and Denon D7000s. Does anyone know how any of these pair up with the 801?

I also own a pair of UE TripleFi10s that I don't listen to all that often but might be up to the job?

Mar 24, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #297 of 552

Quote:

Just thought this would be helpful for some, not sure that all sdxc cards but that one mentioned above worked for me. This now leaves me wondering why people keep saying the limit is 32GB.How

How did you format the card??? Did you use Fat 32 ?? 

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #298 of 552
Yes you need to format it to fat32

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #300 of 552
The 801 does not recognize the exFAT filesystem that >32GB cards by default are formatted with (not many devices apart from newer cameras do). The iBasso dx100 and Colorfly C4 also need them formatted with fat32. I use guiformat to do the formatting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back