Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread
May 9, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #227 of 552

Quote:
Same here for EQ.  Normal for everything.

JH13 and SRH840 are used the most for me.

Oh thanks guys
regular_smile .gif

I know I can tweak the EQ to make my SM3 sounds good, but...I don't against EQ by the way.

I remember reading Nankai saying a good player doesn't need EQ, so I am trying to go with him without using any EQ with my IEMs.

May 18, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #228 of 552
I have a Hifiman HM 801 on my way and plan to use it to feed my AMB M3 amp and ATH-AD2000s
L3000.gif
 Now a quick question for you guys: after HM 801, which dac should I upgrade to? Maybe a TPA Buffalo dac or Stello DA100? Would you consider AMB gamma 2 dac as an upgrade to HM 801's dac? I assume that the HM 801's dac should perform better than my Audio-gd Compass. 801 Owners, please advise me. Thanks.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #229 of 552
I have recently purchased a Hifiman 801 and have been unable to play lossless WMA files, which is how I digitized most of my CD collection..  Several reviews noted that the Hifiman 801 supports that format. They show up on the SD card, I can access them from my computer when hooked up via USB, and can play them on other devices that support the format.  Both WAV and MP3 work fine on the Hifiman 801.  Anyone have any experience with lossless WMA on the Hifiman 801?

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #230 of 552
For Mac/iTunes users I've cobbled together an Apple Script - Prepare Files for HM-801 Transfer

This script will copy, rename and convert (using Max) the selected itunes tracks to a specified folder. 

The renamed file will be prefixed with a sequential number for each selected track starting at a user prompted number. 
If this prompted number is zero then the filename will be prefixed with the track number. 
Prefixing each file with a sequential number allows the folder to be sorted in the same sequence as the itunes playlist

The filename is named as:

nnn Track Name - Artist

Where nnn is either the sequential number or track number

This is the format I use on my HM-801 but this can be easily changed in the script

After all the selected files have been copied/renamed to the folder, then the Apple Lossless files within 
the folder are converted to FLAC using Max

If interested, pm me with your email and I'll send the script

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #231 of 552
ade_hall: My laptop has just about no space on it. With the SD card installed and HM-801 linked to my computer via USB your script can convert everything and copy it over straight away w/o me needing to delete anything, right? I regret using iTunes now, sort of. It was just so easy to maintain!

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #233 of 552
I got my HM801 today, and I have to say that I'm very impressed with this player! After reading all of the posts here and at abi I was definitely on the fence. I finally decided I wanted to find out for myself so I ordered it, and I'm glad I did! Works great with my JH16pros! Now I really want to see how the game card changes things.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm very happy with the unit. The only thing I thing that could do with some work is the UI. I can't say it's the best user experience, but its definitely usable.

One other thing I forgot mention is that, it's much smaller in the hands then I thought it would be. It's also very solid feeling. I was really happy with the overall look of the player.

Question. Should the hm801 be able to play 24/88 material? It doesn't seem to like track7 of the headfi hdtracks album.

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #234 of 552
Congratulations.

I know that the 801 supports 16/44.1 and 24/96 as I have tried both of them.  Also it seems that I've heard problems regarding to 24/88.2 files.  Try ask Nankai.

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #238 of 552

Quote:
How much burn in does the hifiman need? It sounds good, more life and dynamics than an ipod. but I felt my Pico DAC + RSA amp combo was better/gave a clearer, musical experience that I could get excited about, it didnt give me the portable desktop sound I thought

LO to a better amp.  The built-in amp can't unleash the full potential of the 801.

Oct 23, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #240 of 552
Is the GAME amp much better than the built-in one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back