Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread
May 6, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #211 of 552
Good Morning,

A few questions that I haven't seen addressed in the threads:

Is it possible to charge a 2nd battery for the Hifiman 801 externally?

Will there be an additional amp module (beyond the GAME module) released that is optimized for sensitive IEMs?

Thanks in advance!

May 6, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #213 of 552

Quote:
Good Morning,

A few questions that I haven't seen addressed in the threads:

Is it possible to charge a 2nd battery for the Hifiman 801 externally?

Will there be an additional amp module (beyond the GAME module) released that is optimized for sensitive IEMs?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think you can charge a battery without it being in the Hifiman. But its removable so you can charge one, remove it, put another in, charge it.

There will be an additional amp module but from what I understood it'll be the 'super high end ultimate' module. What the gain on it will be though, I don't know. But the GAME is plenty fine for even the most sensitive IEM.

May 6, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #215 of 552
A smaller and more lightweight charger would be a huge improvement, as the current one is huge and heavy, and eliminates the whole purpose of having a portable device.  The battery life is way too short to be able to go without bringing a charger on a trip, even a weekend trip.

-Ed

May 7, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #216 of 552
Hi Ed,

So is there an external charger available?  International flights on a single battery w/ layovers = having to carry a 2nd player unless it's possible to bring a spare charged battery in reserve.  But if the only way to charge is in the Hifiman, that kind of defeats the purpose of a 2nd battery, or at least complicates things if you want to continue to listen.

Thanks,

Josh

May 7, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #217 of 552

Quote:
Hi Ed,

So is there an external charger available?  International flights on a single battery w/ layovers = having to carry a 2nd player unless it's possible to bring a spare charged battery in reserve.  But if the only way to charge is in the Hifiman, that kind of defeats the purpose of a 2nd battery, or at least complicates things if you want to continue to listen.

Thanks,

Josh

There isn't an external charger available.  Perhaps if enough of us asked for one, it might happen.  :wink:

Otherwise, as mentioned before, you can precharge a spare battery (you can purchase another battery separately from Head-Direct).  That's what I do, but it doesn't solve the problem of the stock AC Adapter being so large and heavy.

-Ed

May 7, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #218 of 552
so the latest batch uses PCM1704U , before this PCM1704k ? (please correct me if im wrong) was used ,does this have a big impact on the quality?

quote from lessloss website
" Many people do not know that the PCM1704 is classified into different categories of perfection. There is the PCM1704U, which is the least expensive and worst lot. Then there are better ones, which are marked PCM1704U-J and PCM1704U-K at the factory."

May 7, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #220 of 552
Hi Ed & Bojamijams,

Thanks for the clarification regarding the AC adapter & no charger.

It might be possible to find an alternate AC adapter which may be lighter/smaller if the specs for power & the DC connector size for the one included with the Hifiman are published.

Josh

May 7, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #223 of 552

Quote:
so the latest batch uses PCM1704U , before this PCM1704k ? (please correct me if im wrong) was used ,does this have a big impact on the quality?

quote from lessloss website
" Many people do not know that the PCM1704 is classified into different categories of perfection. There is the PCM1704U, which is the least expensive and worst lot. Then there are better ones, which are marked PCM1704U-J and PCM1704U-K at the factory."

My malfunctioning one (had the 24/96 playback problem) was replaced recently by Head-Direct with one from the 3rd Batch.  Here's proof that it's the "K" version. 
wink.gif

So I opened mine up to take a peek so that those that aren't comfortable doing so don't have to.  Be aware that the screws are very very easy to strip, so you have to be very careful.  I would suggest not doing so unless you are willing to potentially void your warranty.

-Ed

May 9, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #225 of 552

Quote:
I use Normal with JH13.

I don't know the SM3, have you tried other phones with the 801?

Thanks for the input!

I tried IE8 and e-Q7 with HiFiMAN. I like IE8 when pair with HiFiMAN. Bass has better impact. e-Q7 sounded good with HiFiMAN too. However, since the main reason I bought the HiFiMAN is to pair it up with SM3, I am disappointed that they don't go along well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back