Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread
Jan 30, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #196 of 552
I received my 801 and listened to it using the PK-1. Many on this site talk of lack of bass. I do not find a lack of bass at all. There are bass heads who love the bass loud to almost overwhelm the music and blow out your eardrum. Live music bass is a part of the music not overwhelming loud in your eardrum except in a disco setting. It should be present in the background as part of the whole music picture.

The one problem I do find is the lack of liquidity and somewhat dry sound. That means that there is a lack of extension in the high end. That is less noticable in the line out and much more in the headphone out. I can only guess that magnetic nickle connectors, cheap volume pod and or none audiophile solder may have been used. I compared it to my Creative vision M mp3 and creatives $59 ubs soundblaster exterior xfi box (all without equilization using wave files). Both sounded better. The soundstage was larger on the HIFIMAN. However the liqudity (high frequency extension) was sweet and smooth in the creative products. The creative products where significantly more musical.

Nothing bothers me much about the HiFiMAn except the dry lack of liquidity and high end extension. There is no doubt that some parts used where great. However when A $59 dollar item (granted you need a laptop connection) sounds better, clearly the volume and headphone amp section was not designed properly using using non magnetic parts in the signal path. Magnetic parts in the audio signal path can cause havic to the sound.

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #198 of 552
I 'enjoy' reading this thread
regular_smile .gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #199 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Friedman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I compared it to my Creative vision M mp3 and creatives $59 ubs soundblaster exterior xfi box (all without equilization using wave files). Both sounded better. The soundstage was larger on the HIFIMAN. However the liqudity (high frequency extension) was sweet and smooth in the creative products. The creative products where significantly more musical.

that means sansa clip forever, thanx for saving 800$

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #201 of 552
What's that old saying about "blaming the messenger for the message". It's not the playback that's flawed, it's only playing back what's actually on the recording. The truth is most popular music recordings don't have a lot of upper frequency liquidity, most players are intentionally designed to not accurately reproduce that fact. I would go as far to say if most produced players don't have "colorations" that make most music sound better then it actually was recorded they won't be marketed. From what I've read the Hifiman will never be marketed as an off the shelf item.

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #202 of 552
Hello everyone,
I wonder if anyone bought the new amp module yet? I was rather disappointed that the original module did not compare favourably against the d10. I would have liked this as an all-in-one solution and am diappointed that I will have to buy a new module to reach this idea.
If anyone gets the new module I wonder if they can compare it to the old one and to some external amps like the ibasso d4 or lisa via lineout with iems?
Thanks in advance
Greetings, Anouk,

May 3, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #203 of 552
I've been using the 801's with a Protector and TWAG'd JH 13 Pro's. Sounds great! Am also surprised at how well the headphone output of the 801 drives my Sony R10s. Great to know that I could go out on the streets with the R10's if I had the desire.

May 3, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #204 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using the 801's with a Protector and TWAG'd JH 13 Pro's. Sounds great! Am also surprised at how well the headphone output of the 801 drives my Sony R10s. Great to know that I could go out on the streets with the R10's if I had the desire.

Watch out for the audiophile robbers!

May 5, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #205 of 552
The new GAME module is actually designed for IEMs? I see people happy with their HiFiMAN + JH13, but when I pair my SM3 with HiFiMAN using the GAME module, with the 'Normal' EQ (which I don't think to be normal at all, it overemphasizes midrange too much), I get no details from music, and instrument separation is so bad.

I have this HiFiMAN for 2 weeks, and I am as disappointed as when I received them on the first day...Am I missing anything?

May 5, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #207 of 552
I take it to mean 'Normal' is the default setting of the player, which means no EQ, or flat. The 'User' EQ setting has 5 bands, and I found that a 8-10db up in 300Hz sounds close to the 'Normal' setting.

Or the 'Normal' EQ setting is in fact not the default/flat setting?

May 6, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #208 of 552
I have the GAME module in my HM-801.  I did a head to head A/B comparison with the stock module and the GAME module.

Suffice it to say, the lower gain is a big improvement for use with sensitive IEM's.  Overall sound quality is nearly identical between the two.  The GAME card's layout looks very much like a high end PIMETA.  Except without the rail split power supply.

But honestly, the ultimate combo would be to cram the Pico Slim inside the HM-801.  Until then, the tiny Slim will be piggy backing my HM-801.  The overall sound is superior with this set up.  And this Ultimate Portable Rig, is pretty much my full time rig.  :)

May 6, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #209 of 552
Edwood, you need to bug Justin to make a Hifiman module of the Slim.  It so needs to happen! I asked him once long time ago, before the Hifiman was ever officially released and he said he had no plans on making one, but maybe he's changing his mind now. In any case, you would be far more persuasive then I could be :p

May 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #210 of 552
I already asked long ago as well.  It's apparently not possible for the Pico Slim to access the volume control pot in the HM-801.

I'm really hoping at some point in the future, that perhaps Head-Direct and HeadAmp can get together and make an HM-901.  

Ideal specs would be USB straight to I2S (no SPDIF).  Smaller overall size.  Touch screen interface.  DAC Specs equal to or better than the HM-801.  Last but not least, the Pico Slim design as it's internal amp.  :)

So go forth and send an email and/or PM to Nankai and Justin Wilson asking for this collaboration to happen! 

The more demand there is, the more likely it will happen.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back