HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Nov 21, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #931 of 1,195
K, after conferring it seems the problem was a combination of EQ defaulting to normal and the DAC dealing w/ 24/96.  I remember setting my EQ to off but it showed up set to Normal.  When comparing notes a similar thing was responsible on the other player.  The 602 now plays 24/96 well but does sound a even better w/ 24/48 IMO.  Somewhat of a false alarm there.  If anyone notices something similar, do doublecheck your settings.  

Nov 21, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #932 of 1,195

Quote:
K, after conferring it seems the problem was a combination of EQ defaulting to normal and the DAC dealing w/ 24/96.  I remember setting my EQ to off but it showed up set to Normal.  When comparing notes a similar thing was responsible on the other player.  The 602 now plays 24/96 well but does sound a even better w/ 24/48 IMO.  Somewhat of a false alarm there.  If anyone notices something similar, do doublecheck your settings.  

How do you off the eq? Best i got is normal..

Nov 21, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #933 of 1,195

Quote:
Quote:

How do you off the eq? Best i got is normal..

setting-->main menu set-->eq setting off/user eq off.

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #936 of 1,195
Alright, now that this whole 24/48 and 24/96 thing is cleared up for the most part.  Is anyone able to play anything that's 24/88?  

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #937 of 1,195

Quote:
I thought that was to set whether the eq function will be displayed on the main menu?

correct. 

"normal" is EQ off

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #939 of 1,195

Quote:
The guys from Europe who ordered this player. Do you pay some tax in your country  if  yes, how many? I'm from Denmark.

I didn't have to and I usually do so I look forward to ordering some more stuff from Head Direct, hopefully again with no tax charges.

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #944 of 1,195

Quote:
When people said the soundstage isn't good, can that be fixed with an amp? Is it at least better or at the same level as ipods?

Soundstage or headstage in my experience can be improved various ways with the single most important component being the quality of headphones/IEMs.  Having said that, the entire chain is important, including amplification, source, interconnects and their termination (balanced vs. single-ended).

Since this is an HM-602 thread, I'm assuming your question is related to the soundstage projected by its own built-in s/e opamp and whether a dedicated external amp can improve on that.   Although I don't feel the HM-602 soundstage lacking in any way with TWagged JH13s/16s which I listen to mine most of the time, a balanced external amp would certainly improve the most on it, such as the RSA Protector or the iBasso PB1 Toucan.  

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #945 of 1,195
I just tested my unit as a dac using media monkey.  The background is perfectly quite and it makes it sound better then when I use the 602 as a DAP.  I'm using JH 16.  Do other people notice this.  I am sending in the unit and that would be amazing if it was this quite with the DAP too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back