HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Nov 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #961 of 1,195
Had my 602 in a fanny pack to take with me on thanksgiving holiday. Went to listen to music and found the screen is cracked and I can't listen to music. Very bummed out. I'll have to settle for my iPhone with Pico Slim for a few days, since I didn't want to risk my 801 getting damaged too.

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #963 of 1,195

Quote:
Had my 602 in a fanny pack to take with me on thanksgiving holiday. Went to listen to music and found the screen is cracked and I can't listen to music. Very bummed out. I'll have to settle for my iPhone with Pico Slim for a few days, since I didn't want to risk my 801 getting damaged too.

Ouch! Was it squished in the boot or something?

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #965 of 1,195
I have QA350 for a few months, Hifiman 602 for about thirty days. The biggest difference: QA350 sounds like a very decent CD player; 602 sounds like a good cassette player. The 602: I really like how it colors the music and treble rolling off; I really don't like, the low bass cut-off, and it sounds like an old Sansa mp3 player when playing at low volume (blur, if I have to pick a word). I am thinking either I will try 601 or 801 soon.
Beside the different sound signatures, many wonder about their values. I planned to buy RE252 (RE262 bundled as a gift), so 602 is basically $200 for me. If I have to pay full price between QA350 and 602, I will probably pick QA350. (And, maybe a tube headphone amp - how I love the tube sound.)

P.S.
Someone said 602 and 801 sound like high-end stereo. To be honest, I had listened some very high-end stereo which sounded very bright. My point is: it's your music, your preference is the only thing matters; if you are caught with the Head-fi fever, some lucky members will be lucky picking up yours cheaply in FS section.

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #966 of 1,195
I am going to take a shot at posting my impressions of the 602.  It's been a long time since I've posted a review or impressions of any kind on HF.  I took me a long time to realize that reading them was of little value to me in terms of my listening experience.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading them and yes, looking at the pics but it's more for a general understanding of the product not for make a purchase decision.  I'm fortunate that, for the most part, I can buy most things that I want to try and make a decision on what I'm hearing.  

I remember way back, when I first saw and then heard the 801.  I was skeptical, to say the least.  It was large, was not and iPod, which is all I've used in terms of a DAP since the first 5 GB was released before I discovered HF.  I've had more iPods/iPhones then I can remember.  I love them, they have this very easy to use interface and I can use all my ALAC music without an issue.  Every time I would see Fang at a meet, I made it a point to try out the 801.  It was great.  There was no question in my mind that from a purely sound quality perspective, it was better than any iPod I had at the time.  I even found it better than my iPods with whatever portable amp I had at that particular moment.  My discussion with Fang always was about the size and lack of built in storage.  

Then comes the 602.  So I go to the NYC meet last year and there is Fang with this new smaller portable DAP and I give it a try.  I should add that the only headphone I own is the JH13.  I do not feel the need for any other headphones although the HE-6 is tempting.  I listen to speakers the vast majority of the time I listen to music.  Anyway, so I listen to the 602 and the 801 and my comments are the same as the always have been.  Still too big and not enough built in storage.  At the time, I also felt the 801 was just better than the 602, which I guess was in the early development stages.

Almost a year later, I am contacted by Miguel (mrarroyo) who lives about 30 minutes away from me.  He offers up the 801 and and early production (maybe pre-production) 602 for me to try for a while.  I take him up on the offer and spend a few days with both players.  There is no question that the 801 was better.  That early 602 just didn't do it for me.  I told Miguel this and he says that I should with hold judgment as my complaint, mostly lack of bass response was being worked on for the production model.  

This brings me to my next encounter with the 602.  I went to RMAF this year, mostly to check out the speaker rigs.  Most of my time at CanJam was to go grab a buddy to hear a pair of speakers.  I did find time to say hello to Fang, whom I've known for a long time and consider one of the good people in this hobby.  He insists that I sit down and listen to the 602.  I tell him about my earlier experience and he say, forget it, just listen.  We talk about my qualms about the size (not as big a deal as with the 801) and the lack of storage.  He asks what I am using and I show him a 16 GB and my 32 GB iPhone.  I realize that the storage thing is really in my own head as 32 GB is plenty of music to carry around, even if lossless.  I really enjoy my time with the 602. The bass is deeper than I remembered.  It was closer to the 801, which was the basis of my prior comparison.  I realize it's pretty light, fits nicely in my pocket.  I eventually leave and when I get home, decide to ask Fang to try one out for an extended time, which is happy to do.  

I've now had the 602 for at least a month.  I've used it for extended listening sessions out back, carried it with my while walking the dog, took it on business trip for a hotel/Starbucks rig and I'm am not going to give it back.  Fang, if you read this, just send me a bill and I will settle up with you.  The 602 is a perfect match for my JH13.  I have two 32 GB SD cards and have only filled one of them so far.  I have not found the need to fill the other.  I have plenty of music in FLAC but with all the music I have on the not filled 32 GB card. 

Now to the sound quality.  I'm going to keep this simple.  I really like this thing.  I have not used any iPods or amps since it has arrived.  The sq is better than any other portable experience I've had (I don't consider the 801 portable so not part of this comparison).  I've read other say it has some treble roll off and it's a bit colored.  As I said earlier, that stuff is generally meaningless to me.  There are so many factors that color what others say about audio that I can only speak for myself and do not expect others to rely on what I say for making a purchase.  I'm 50 years old, I've been to more live shows then I can remember so I suspect my hearing has suffered although, it's not noticeable to me but I'm sure it's there.  Many of you are much younger and very well may be capable of hearing things that I cannot.  If it is colored and if the treble is rolled off, then I guess that is what I like.  What can I say, I just like the thing.  Is it perfect, definitely not but the sq is such that some of the little quirks are not an issue for me.

One other thing I like about it is that I can use it as a stand along DAC.  I have been using it in my office rig and it sounds great through my Audioengine A5's.  I have an Amarra 4 DAC from Sonic Studios which has been out for repair for the last month or so.  When I listen to digital music I have been using the 602 as the DAC.  While it is not close to the Amarra 4 it is very good through my speaker rig which consists of a Manley Stingray and Zu Soul Superfly speakers.  The 602 has really come in handy for me while my DAC is being repaired.

I could try to throw out some audiophile terms for you all but I don't feel that would be doing any of you a service.  You need to listen for yourself and make your own judgments on whether this or any other audio product is for you.  My opinion is only that, my opinion.  Just one example, at RMAF I looked to listen to a speaker that I heard was just amazing, I had to check them out.  They are way more money than I could or would ever spend but I did want to hear what all the fuss was about.  I went into the room, expecting to be blown away by these speakers which cost in the many thousands of dollars.  They turned out to be some of the worst sound I heard at RMAF.  The speakers were YB Acoustics (forget the model).  So listen to your ears and make your own decisions. 

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #969 of 1,195
I just posted my thoughts on the 602 in a separate thread but my thoughts closely mirror Tyrion's.

Best portable sound I've heard to date in a relatively small package (dap,lod & is larger and heavier). While not the 801 it's close and much better than an iPhone amp combo.

It may be the best JH13 match to date and I'm surprised Jerry and company don't use one. If my home rig blew up on me I'd live very happily with the the 602 jh13 combo and not feel like I'm missing a thing.

Fang thanks for taking a chance and diving into the dap world with an absolutely high end device.

PS I'm using Patriot 32gb class 4 cards

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #970 of 1,195
I'm using a Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SD card which is not a good choice.  I'm going to pick up a different card and use the two Transcend cards for my camera.  These are causing a minor issue with the 602 which requires me to pop the card out and put it back in after shutting down and starting up.  This issue is not present when I use a Kingston card.

As Jp said, it's a match made in heaven for the JH13.  

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #971 of 1,195
when someone finds a good 32 gig card please do post your feelings on it. I use a Transcend 16 gig class 6 and it works great. what is the advantage of a higher class?
I too love the JH13 and have posted in other places that it is the best match with the 602 and I actually gained respect for JH 13 after this match before that I used it on Amp3 version 2 and it just was dull compared to Sure 530 SE with Zune 120 or was it 80 cannot recall now. I loved the sound, but the base used to not be there enough, I loved the quick response of it then it was the quickest I had ever heard and just was lost in the music. The JH13 and the 602 have surpassed that quite well and once again I feel lost in music in a more wonderful stimulation of my ears

I will add that listening to speakers with 50 watts/channel and then listening with an amp 200 watts/channel is similar to AMP3 with JH13 and the 602 with JH13 the space of the sound stage opens up so wide it is as if it is not the same JH13, every facet of music I hear is now a delight with the 602 combined with the JH13. I have only listened to them together less than 50 hours but I hear improvement as time goes on however slight it is better with aging.

Nov 27, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #972 of 1,195
I think the higher class is a disadvantage. I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that anything over 6 could be a problem. Of course, I didn't read it until after I bought the class 10 cards.

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #973 of 1,195
I got my HM-602 on friday - at last
o2smile.gif

Two questions:

It seems like the software doesn't read the track numbers, so the tunes lists in alphabetical order only - unless the name of the file starts with the track number of course. 
Has anyone a solution for this?
(I used both Foobar and Windows Media Player to tag the files, but tracks are all in alphabetical order.Then I drag-and-dropped them in Windows to the internal flash memory.)

It seems AKG K701 is a very good bargain these days. However I have heard it is heavy to drive. Anyone who has heard K701 with the 602?
In that case I would love to read your impressions.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #974 of 1,195
K702 pairs nicely with the HM602 ..but you cant get enough volume . if you are a OK with that it has good synergy with the K702. 
to compare  50-60% of maverick D1 with K702 = 100 -hi-gain - of HM602 with K702.

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #975 of 1,195
^^ I really wonder what volume people listen at because even an iPod touch 2G that isn't as loud as the 601 could push the 701 to piercing volume levels. The HM601 most certainly can hit the threshold of hearing damage with the 701, so please be careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back