HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Dec 8, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #991 of 1,195
Quote:
It's a pity that HD chose to make it as a rockchip based player. Certainly there could've been other choices.

Unfortunately there ain't as many choice as it seems. I can see why RockChip is used as they do provide a good level of hardware design for their customer (meaning they will help you in designing the PCB so it will work fine for what you want to do). Plus they are not quite as choosy on their clientele and will work for small companies for relatively low price. These factors make them a popular for all local Chinese companies (in fact rumor has said that ColorFly is using RockChip as well, but remarked the chip as 'C4'). The downside is of course the immaturity of the RockChip's software platform, making it extra hard to get the firmware right. I have heard the RockChip may be going to adapt ARM structure in the future that aims to support Andriod natively. That will be great but I guess we still have a long way to go.

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #992 of 1,195
I found the following 3 bugs in the firmware:

1. Under "FLASH ON BOARD' folders don't always get sorted alphabetically if within the main folder there is a file / another folder starting with a non-alphabetic character, different from '1-9'
2. CUE sheet support is not perfect and sometimes tracks start late by as much as 10 seconds
3. AAC is only supported if files are with extension .acc. My .m4a did not work.

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #993 of 1,195
I don't think the 1st one is a bug. It's sorted by the order they get put on the drive or the sdhc card if you use it.

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #994 of 1,195

Quote:
Quote:
It's a pity that HD chose to make it as a rockchip based player. Certainly there could've been other choices.

Unfortunately there ain't as many choice as it seems. I can see why RockChip is used as they do provide a good level of hardware design for their customer (meaning they will help you in designing the PCB so it will work fine for what you want to do). Plus they are not quite as choosy on their clientele and will work for small companies for relatively low price. These factors make them a popular for all local Chinese companies (in fact rumor has said that ColorFly is using RockChip as well, but remarked the chip as 'C4'). The downside is of course the immaturity of the RockChip's software platform, making it extra hard to get the firmware right. I have heard the RockChip may be going to adapt ARM structure in the future that aims to support Andriod natively. That will be great but I guess we still have a long way to go.

well, yeah. I guess so.

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #996 of 1,195
I don't have a problem w/ your post, you made it clear you are not stating your personal opinion or experience.  However, I know many DAPs that have better bass and treble extension than the 602 including the Clip+ and they are quite below the 602 in overall SQ to my ears.  I know I'm not alone in that regard.  If FR is your be all end all measuring stick, kudos to you.  Get a Clip or iPod, your search is over.  No need for a colorfly, Sflo2 or anything over $50.

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #997 of 1,195

Quote:
kostalex said:
I respect what HiFiMan (Fang) does for our hobby. This product is another great long-awaited gear for head-fiers. Unfortunately, there are some major things to improve aside of sound quality. I hope my review will help Fang to make customer satisfaction even better. Some things, like public info on product incompatibilities, a very easy for vendor to improve. At the same time, they are critically important for customers.

Read more in my review: HM-602: brief Love & Hate notes

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #998 of 1,195

Quote:

Quote:
kostalex said:
I respect what HiFiMan (Fang) does for our hobby. This product is another great long-awaited gear for head-fiers. Unfortunately, there are some major things to improve aside of sound quality. I hope my review will help Fang to make customer satisfaction even better. Some things, like public info on product incompatibilities, a very easy for vendor to improve. At the same time, they are critically important for customers.

Very good review kosta, I completely agree with everything you wrote. The biggest flaw for me is the playback is not resumed where ended after the player being shut down, haven't had a portable player or phone to not do that, so that's a big minus and the squeaking sound it makes when the batter is drained. The user interface really is bad an illogical, I would rate it ever worse than you. But the sound is as you say so very musical so it is a unique analog sounding player in a digital era.

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #999 of 1,195

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
kostalex said:

Very good review kosta, I completely agree with everything you wrote. The biggest flaw for me is the playback is not resumed where ended after the player being shut down, haven't had a portable player or phone to not do that, so that's a big minus and the squeaking sound it makes when the batter is drained. The user interface really is bad an illogical, I would rate it ever worse than you. But the sound is as you say so very musical so it is a unique analog sounding player in a digital era.

I've seen a couple of people say this, but i've found i can pick up where i left off by just pressing left on the d-pad after powering the player back on. I'm not sure if that is what everyone means?

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #1,000 of 1,195

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
kostalex said:

I've seen a couple of people say this, but i've found i can pick up where i left off by just pressing left on the d-pad after powering the player back on. I'm not sure if that is what everyone means?

wow I will try that. If it works I will send you a wet kiss.

Dec 12, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #1,001 of 1,195
I'm not sure if i want it to work or not now.
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #1,005 of 1,195
Well it does work, but sometimes it shows a wrong song(at the same folder). Yeah, it is only sometimes, but I can't figure out the pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back