HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Nov 16, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #917 of 1,195

Quote:
Does the HM-602 and HM-601 sound better than the S:flo2?

Yes and no. 602 sounds very smooth, mid forward, treble and bass are not fully extend; I hate to say this, it somewhat lacks excitement. I am torn here, if S:flo2's treble is not harsh from time to time, I'll return 602 (16GB) due to the huge price difference ($440 vs $180). I don't know the final price for 601 (2GB), let me guess $300-$350; S:flo2 (2GB) is $120.
PS,
Hifiman gifts earphones for preorderers, but it will eventually end; like others said, buy it for the player, not for earphones.

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #918 of 1,195

Quote:
Quote:
RE262 is supposed to be priced at $249, if that makes anyone feels better about 602 preorder...
Although I like RE262, I won't pay that price for it; I am only lukewarm to 602. (It doesn't sound good until I turn it louder, but I am not a loud listener.) Return or keep...

Agree, the sound really comes into its own juiced up.  If you are a low level listener probably not for you.  Though using the 262 in conjunction would be a major cause of that most likely.

Just to clarify you are talking about the 602 correct?

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #919 of 1,195

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
RE262 is supposed to be priced at $249, if that makes anyone feels better about 602 preorder...
Although I like RE262, I won't pay that price for it; I am only lukewarm to 602. (It doesn't sound good until I turn it louder, but I am not a loud listener.) Return or keep...

Agree, the sound really comes into its own juiced up.  If you are a low level listener probably not for you.  Though using the 262 in conjunction would be a major cause of that most likely.

Just to clarify you are talking about the 602 correct?

Yuppers, then again more sensitive phones might prove differently.  I don't really use any hypersensitive, low ohm phones.  

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #920 of 1,195
Can you try on your most sensitive phone? I'm guessing it would be the DBA-02. Low level listening is what I do and if it doesn't work as well then maybe I'll think twice about it.

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #921 of 1,195

Quote:
Can you try on your most sensitive phone? I'm guessing it would be the DBA-02. Low level listening is what I do and if it doesn't work as well then maybe I'll think twice about it.

I'll need a bit to warm it up and readjust my hearing from Ice Road Truckers Himalaya edition, lol.  I think my M1 or M6 would be more sensitive, I don't consider the DBA the epitome of sensitivity compared to something like the SM3 or some 16ohm thing.  I'll try to do HO and LO.

Edit - M1 32ohm/110, M6 16ohm/98

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #922 of 1,195
Listening to Rush on 602 w/ M1.

Lol, Using the M1 w/the 602 HO volume set to min.  The volume is louder set to low and quieter set to high gain and I'm actually able to listen to music just fine on low w/ no volume.  High gain at min is more like a minor hearing test.

Volume set to '2' and the M1 sounds fine on low gain.  Treble, mids and bass.  High gain now bumps up the volume as it should.  Nothing drastic which is typical.  No problems heard at this level.  Turned it up to '4' and matched gains on my Arrow best I could and everything just sounds so much fuller and natural once your ears readjust from the shock of low level listening.  If you expect the 602 to sound best at very low levels I would say you get 85% but at '3'-'4' things get fantastic.  Not sure if it's the player or my Fletcher Munsons.  I think I need to amend the original observation.

IMO, the player sounds perfectly fine at any volume level.  The sound signature itself sounds best at average and higher levels.  I think that's more accurate and hope that makes more sense.

Now I'm curious if I save more battery life at Min level using hi gain instead of low.

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #924 of 1,195

Quote:
IMO, the player sounds perfectly fine at any volume level.  The sound signature itself sounds best at average and higher levels.  I think that's more accurate and hope that makes more sense.

Now I'm curious if I save more battery life at Min level using hi gain instead of low.

It makes perfect sense. Thanks

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #925 of 1,195
When I first connected the RE262 to the HM602 after about a week with the Sen PX200 I thought they sounded very lean, but a day and a half later and I am  likeing the pairing of the HM602 & the RE262 alot, no doubt it can only get better from hear 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #926 of 1,195
Just got done sharing some impressions w/ another member who recently received their player.  According to their ears noticeable distortion exists while listening to hi-res files from both HO and LO.  For me the effect was worse from the LO.  We both felt that although the hi-res files tend to have better mastering then many 16 bit counterparts these hi-res files do not sound as good compared to listening to 16 bit audio via the 601/602.  To me, the higher resolution files sound degraded to a level below that of standard CD Redbook.  I suspect that there is an issue w/ the NOS DAC down-sampling these higher res files.  At this point I feel comfortable saying the 602 allows me to access higher quality masters via hi-res format but the playback quality is below the standard 16 bit spec.  Not sure if a firmware upgrade will resolve this issue or not.  I'm curious if we are the only two to have noticed this fact due to bad samples or if others haven't listened much to high-res material.  I would like to hear more from other owners on the matter as well as Fang.  Now that my case isn't isolated I think there is an issue to be addressed here.  Time for me to do some of my own trouble shooting just to rule out some variables.   

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #927 of 1,195
I re-coded 24/92 to 24/48. A while back I read an article, it explained, sound quality depends more on what the chip can do best, not the chip's spec. I found 24/48 sounded better. (My 24/92 files were recorded through Korg MR-2000S; we did not record at 16/44.)

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #928 of 1,195

Quote:
I re-coded 24/92 to 24/48. A while back I read an article, it explained, sound quality depends more on what the chip can do best, not the chip's spec. I found 24/48 sounded better. (My 24/92 files were recorded through Korg MR-2000S; we did not record at 16/44.)

Ahhh.  Makes sense.  I'd still like to hear Fang's response to confirm this.  I guess I'll give recoding a try... 

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #930 of 1,195

I don't hear this effect at all. I listen to 24/96 files every day on the 602, and haven't noticed any distortion or any other issue. 24/96 definitely sounding better than 16/44.1 to me. Maybe there is something up with your players?

Quote:
Just got done sharing some impressions w/ another member who recently received their player.  According to their ears noticeable distortion exists while listening to hi-res files from both HO and LO.  For me the effect was worse from the LO.  We both felt that although the hi-res files tend to have better mastering then many 16 bit counterparts these hi-res files do not sound as good compared to listening to 16 bit audio via the 601/602.  To me, the higher resolution files sound degraded to a level below that of standard CD Redbook.  I suspect that there is an issue w/ the NOS DAC down-sampling these higher res files.  At this point I feel comfortable saying the 602 allows me to access higher quality masters via hi-res format but the playback quality is below the standard 16 bit spec.  Not sure if a firmware upgrade will resolve this issue or not.  I'm curious if we are the only two to have noticed this fact due to bad samples or if others haven't listened much to high-res material.  I would like to hear more from other owners on the matter as well as Fang.  Now that my case isn't isolated I think there is an issue to be addressed here.  Time for me to do some of my own trouble shooting just to rule out some variables.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back