HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Nov 3, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #751 of 1,195
Hi Ryan, different people have different taste. HM-602 is not a "v-shape" sound signature. It will never give you "wow" in the first second when you listen to it, but you will like it after you get used to its sound signature. You can listen to it for hours and hours, and will never feel tired. However, some people like warm/sweet/analogue sound (such old meridian), some others do not (they might prefer a much cheaper denon than an old meridian player). If HM-602 is not your cup of tea, contact our customer service team and return it for refund.

When we designed HM-602, I used my threshold amp and B&W 808 speaker set up to test its line out against HM-801 and some other TDA1543 DACs. In my opinion, HM-602 line out is better than most entrance level TDA1543 DAC. I am not a 3gs owner so that I do not have any ideas about its sound. We did compared it to imod. I don' t think HM-602 line out is less clear or detailed than imod, and HM-602 is much more musical.  In addition, please make sure you turned of eq and set sound effect as standard, and every time before you test HM-602 against other products, pls turn 602 on for more than 15 min to make sure it is warmed up. 

Quote:
@Fang
Do you notice any differences/changes/improvements with burn-in?? And if so how much burn-in would you recommend?(opamp) My 602 has improved a little within the first 30hrs.
Would you expect the 602 LO to outperform the LO of iphone 3Gs buy a significant margin? I am finding the 3gs a "tiny bit" more clear, detailed, refined. The 602 is certainly a more analogue sounding DAP and is very musical - maybe it will 'tighten up' a little with some burn-in?
Although I am still working out a few kinks, I think it is a beautiful player and certainly a good buy considering the included iem.
Thanks for your help mate,
Ryan

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Nov 3, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #752 of 1,195

I apologize for the mistake we made. I just called our factory and ask about our employee why they made such a stupid mistake. It seemed they were trying to finish pre-orders quickly so that they did not finish QC good enough. I will go to China and stay with my workers and engineers after NYC meet. I will try my best to make them doing better work.

We will be happy to help you get replacement or refund.  You can ship your player to our NYC address and let me test it. If it sound bad, we will get you a replacement. I will fix it and ship it back to you so that you don't have to wait international package for weeks to get a replacement. We will ship another USB cable to you for sure. If it sound right, we will get you refund because hm-602's sound is not for you.

Thank you Fang, I agree if the player sounds right to you issue a refund .... PM sent.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #753 of 1,195
Thank you Fang, I own B&W 601 speakers and love it's sound so I think the 602 sound is for me. I think synergy is a huge factor and the more I test the 602, the more I am likeing it. I guess I was used to a more anaylitical/treble sound in my portable setup. It is definately more musical than the iMod LO which I found quite neutral. It is also a beautiful unit with a alot of features imo.
Lastly, do you find any improvements with burn-in?

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #754 of 1,195

Quote:
Thank you Fang, I own B&W 601 speakers and love it's sound so I think the 602 sound is for me. I think synergy is a huge factor and the more I test the 602, the more I am likeing it. I guess I was used to a more anaylitical/treble sound in my portable setup. It is definately more musical than the iMod LO which I found quite neutral. It is also a beautiful unit with a alot of features imo.
Lastly, do you find any improvements with burn-in?

Yes. Try to run-in for 200hrs+.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Nov 3, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #755 of 1,195
This is my first time dealing with some better dac and I have never thought that these need warm up for best performance.

Since the day before yesterday I kept thinking 'oh this isnt worth the $$ should I return it' and some ten minutes later 'wow this really is something' and I was quite puzzled. Now I know:)

is warm up required for all higher end dac/amps?

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #756 of 1,195

Quote:
is warm up required for all higher end dac/amps?

Not necessarily.  It really is dependent on the components involved.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #757 of 1,195
I'm digging my own grave here, but I always thought that HM-801 sounded better after some 20-30 minutes of playback. I'm not talking about HM-801 to EF5 set-up (so no tubes involved), just plain HM-801 to headphones. To me, the easiest explanation was that I had to get myself in the mood for listening. Seems it's not that simple. And if HM-602 behaves the same way...

I just hope this tread won't end up in science forum.

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #758 of 1,195
It won't end up in science - it was started as a general impressions thread, not a critique. Still, not sure why the other one went to the science thread as it wasn't science that someone tested the ability of it to drive headphones - anyone without the slightest scientific inkling can do that. 

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #759 of 1,195

Quote:
Hi Ryan, different people have different taste. HM-602 is not a "v-shape" sound signature. It will never give you "wow" in the first second when you listen to it, but you will like it after you get used to its sound signature. You can listen to it for hours and hours, and will never feel tired. However, some people like warm/sweet/analogue sound (such old meridian), some others do not (they might prefer a much cheaper denon than an old meridian player). If HM-602 is not your cup of tea, contact our customer service team and return it for refund.

When we designed HM-602, I used my threshold amp and B&W 808 speaker set up to test its line out against HM-801 and some other TDA1543 DACs. In my opinion, HM-602 line out is better than most entrance level TDA1543 DAC. I am not a 3gs owner so that I do not have any ideas about its sound. We did compared it to imod. I don' t think HM-602 line out is less clear or detailed than imod, and HM-602 is much more musical.  In addition, please make sure you turned of eq and set sound effect as standard, and every time before you test HM-602 against other products, pls turn 602 on for more than 15 min to make sure it is warmed up. 

wow this deserves a +1

the sound HM602 produces is different that I'm used to but I love it. Its not cold its as you say- warm and very ANALOGUE! I'm a very happy customer. Thank you for a very enjoyable product

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #760 of 1,195
I have 4 concerns.

1.  I cannot make my SD card adopter for a mini SD card piggy-back click in and stay in, it does not click in, it never gets to that point, as it does into my laptop, where it clicks in easily.

2.  I did not receive a manual, for how the buttons work. I experimented some, but I cannot get it to do things in a way that I can predict repeatedly, like:
To stop a song that was playing and to click to get the next song. I tried and tried to shut the song off or to get the next one, no luck.  I had to shut it off and try get another song. After clicking here there and there and there, I got another song but am not sure what made it work.

3.  I pressed the golden High gain and low gain button into high gain, and after 30 minutes the unit got so hot I was afraid to leave it in that position. Switched it to the low gain and it began to cool down. I liked the sound in high gain position and a tad less in the low gain, but raising the volume helped a bit. Anyone else try it in High Gain and see if it gets hot?

4.  I received no USB chord, I did receive, what looks like a charger, to plug into 110 on the wall plug, with a USB input on the other end. The chord does not detach from the side that has the 110 plug on it. as part of it, also received the free earphone, and the 262.

I did enjoy the sound better than with the AMP3 and Zune 120, both of which I have.

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #761 of 1,195

Quote:
I have 4 concerns.

1.  I cannot make my SD card adopter for a mini SD card piggy-back click in and stay in, it does not click in, it never gets to that point, as it does into my laptop, where it clicks in easily.

You are doing something wrong.  The micro adapter fits fine.  Use your nail if you can't press in far enough.

2.  I did not receive a manual, for how the buttons work. I experimented some, but I cannot get it to do things in a way that I can predict repeatedly, like:
To stop a song that was playing and to click to get the next song. I tried and tried to shut the song off or to get the next one, no luck.  I had to shut it off and try get another song. After clicking here there and there and there, I got another song but am not sure what made it work.

Middle button is pause and play.  Left and right select and go back.  Up and down is next song or previous.

3.  I pressed the golden High gain and low gain button into high gain, and after 30 minutes the unit got so hot I was afraid to leave it in that position. Switched it to the low gain and it began to cool down. I liked the sound in high gain position and a tad less in the low gain, but raising the volume helped a bit. Anyone else try it in High Gain and see if it gets hot?

Mine got hot the first day, way more than the Sflo2.  I took it easy the next day.  Not sure if the problem is gone or not since I use the LO now w/ volume set to min.  Now its less warm than the Sflo2 w/o using the HPO.

4.  I received no USB chord, I did receive, what looks like a charger, to plug into 110 on the wall plug, with a USB input on the other end. The chord does not detach from the side that has the 110 plug on it. as part of it, also received the free earphone, and the 262.

Why would the cord detach?  Its not detachable.  Every wall plug you have detaches??  The USB chord is hidden under the packaging, lift up to reveal it around the grooves.

I did enjoy the sound better than with the AMP3 and Zune 120, both of which I have.

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #762 of 1,195
My 602 didn't get hotter than 4~5 degree C from the ambience, which is actually slightly below / comparable to s:flo2 in most cases.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #764 of 1,195
Quote:
Can 602 be charged through a USB wall charger? I think, it can be charged through computer USB port and the included wall charger.

You, it can be charged via the USB data port (not sure abotu the USB DAC port), but it will be slower than the adapter.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #765 of 1,195

Quote:
My 602 didn't get hotter than 4~5 degree C from the ambience, which is actually slightly below / comparable to s:flo2 in most cases.

Yeah I don't know how much variance there is in units or if user experiences are just that varied due to circumstances.  That first day out of the box my 602 was defnitely HOT, whilst my Sflo was never more than warm.  No issues since though and I think it sounds fantastic.  Care to comment on some concerns people are having about the unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back