HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Nov 2, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #736 of 1,195
I am totally happy with this player, what are you all talking about not liking it? it is the best player I have heard, better than the AMP3 by a mile, better than the Zune 120 I had better than my $1700 desk head amp with the JH13. I have not heard the 801 but it is huge and twice the price.

However how do I turn the screen light off?

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #739 of 1,195

Quote:
Be glad too. In my words there is little detail in the music in the normal EQ setting. Things I could hear before in a $30.00 player are gone. The other settings are unusable, muffled, stagnant .... like I said in my original rant ... horrible. I use the Rumours album by Fleetwood Mac for most of my baselines. I find their music tangible .. you can feel it. Mac offers good vocals, great guitar work both acoustic and electric, incredible percussion, keyboards, bass and an attention to detail ... not to mention the bands use of an array of effects. The strumming I heard before have become "chords". I hope I'm painting the picture for you .. I'm not in the habit of dishing things but the HM-602 I received is not a decent piece of equipment. After opening the box and listening for an hour through different headphones I felt compelled to post my thoughts. If the unit blew me away I'd be chasing a cable privately or chalk it up to someones way of life... but to hear what I have and receive what I did ... well I'll exercise my rights and share my experience. I cannot be the only one .....

That said I will take your respected advice and give it some more time  ... if anyone needs an extra cable let me know before trash day. I want it out of the house.

Ah, just take advantage of the 30 day return policy.  You're never going to like it, so why put yourself through the wringer?

- Ed

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #740 of 1,195
Here's the sad part .... I really want to like and enjoy this player, but the sound is substandard and after listening more last evening it sounds like a bowl of Rice Crispy's when there's a pause in a song. e.g. the pauses in the song "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac. The 262's were never deal breaker for me (thank gawd), I have enough IEM's and headphones and love the UM3X's. I only wanted the player based on the hype and reviews of the 801 and beta 602's.
I'm going to email Fang and ask for a replacement ... if I'm forced to send this back on my own dime and wait another two months I'll be VERY disappointed to say the least.  Hopefully he'll do the right thing ....

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #741 of 1,195
I'm not sure but I think some might be confusing a brighter and wider signature w/ more detail.  Perhaps some just prefer that more solid state type of sharp and brittle treble presentation.  I have my QA350 for that which is honestly less resolving, less refined or portable but sounds more analytical and colder.  

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #742 of 1,195

Quote:
Here's the sad part .... I really want to like and enjoy this player, but the sound is substandard and after listening more last evening it sounds like a bowl of Rice Crispy's when there's a pause in a song. e.g. the pauses in the song "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac. The 262's were never deal breaker for me (thank gawd), I have enough IEM's and headphones and love the UM3X's. I only wanted the player based on the hype and reviews of the 801 and beta 602's.
I'm going to email Fang and ask for a replacement ... if I'm forced to send this back on my own dime and wait another two months I'll be VERY disappointed to say the least.  Hopefully he'll do the right thing ....

I think it's not for you.  It is a noisier unit w/ more hiss.  Its not as bad as when I first got it but its not going to be a black background.  I think a firmware update would do more to alleviate the issue rather than a replacement unit.

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #743 of 1,195
So, I got mine yesterday and I love the sound it produces.  However, it is unable to recognize the SD cards I plug on it (tried 2 different cards).  Also, it does not show all songs I've uploaded to its internal memory via Artists or Albums.

Did I get a defective unit?

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #744 of 1,195

Quote:
So, I got mine yesterday and I love the sound it produces.  However, it is unable to recognize the SD cards I plug on it (tried 2 different cards).  Also, it does not show all songs I've uploaded to its internal memory via Artists or Albums.

Did I get a defective unit?

My cards work perfectly.  What spec and brand of cards are you using?  Haven't played w/ my internal memory yet.  Try cycling it off and on.

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #745 of 1,195
Nope it's not just your unit. I've got stuff that doesn't show up in artist/album but i have to go into flash on board to find it. i think it means it's not label the same way and the player can't work out who it's by or the album name, i haven't played around with it yet to see the difference between the ones that work and don't.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #746 of 1,195
I apologize for the mistake we made. I just called our factory and ask about our employee why they made such a stupid mistake. It seemed they were trying to finish pre-orders quickly so that they did not finish QC good enough. I will go to China and stay with my workers and engineers after NYC meet. I will try my best to make them doing better work.

We will be happy to help you get replacement or refund.  You can ship your player to our NYC address and let me test it. If it sound bad, we will get you a replacement. I will fix it and ship it back to you so that you don't have to wait international package for weeks to get a replacement. We will ship another USB cable to you for sure. If it sound right, we will get you refund because hm-602's sound is not for you.

Quote:

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Nov 3, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #747 of 1,195
@Fang
Do you notice any differences/changes/improvements with burn-in?? And if so how much burn-in would you recommend?(opamp) My 602 has improved a little within the first 30hrs.
Would you expect the 602 LO to outperform the LO of iphone 3Gs buy a significant margin? I am finding the 3gs a "tiny bit" more clear, detailed, refined. The 602 is certainly a more analogue sounding DAP and is very musical - maybe it will 'tighten up' a little with some burn-in?
Although I am still working out a few kinks, I think it is a beautiful player and certainly a good buy considering the included iem.
Thanks for your help mate,
Ryan

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #748 of 1,195
Are you asking the manufacturer of an audio device of his device will outperform another device? I'm trying very hard to imagine the outcome of his response, but can't quite catch it. Anyone here better at conjecturing prophesy from marketing dreams?

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #749 of 1,195

Quote:
Are you asking the manufacturer of an audio device of his device will outperform another device? I'm trying very hard to imagine the outcome of his response, but can't quite catch it. Anyone here better at conjecturing prophesy from marketing dreams?

Try not to over complicate the question Shizeo. It was simply an opinion of two common sound signatures. I just wanted to make sure my device was working to it's potential to avoid a time consuming replacement or refund.
Hopefully Fang can answer my questions since they were directed at him, especialy the one re  burn in of opamp/device.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #750 of 1,195
I'm sure he'll shed some light on the unit itself, but I'd put more stock in that than a comparison from a manufacturer of two competing units, one of them his. Anyway, as always, I am following this thread closely as the price is just about right on this unit. Like with anything you listen to, the more you hear it, the more you will come to like/understand its sound. I'm sure the 602 will grow on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back