HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Nov 1, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #721 of 1,195

Quote:
Thanks Kid... that's the word I was looking for ... I got "jipped"

I tried the 602 with the Grado 325i's and my 702's. The Grado's are better than my UM3X (pity i can't walk around with the 325's on ... well i could!) but thats not what I bought this for or what I assumed it was intended for. I would think a "top of the line" DAP would sound decent through a GOOD pair of IEM's.
I guess I was expecting too much .... maybe guys like me need to stick with the local walmart which sells new products you can return in 90 days for $3.00 in gas. 
I don't get this thing .. I can't wrap my arms around it and after seeing the cable am afraid to touch anything. It's no wonder the ABI guys laugh at us ... whoever packaged this grabbed a cable a 602 a charger and said TS. 
That my friends is a lousy way to do business. 

So what wrong w/ the 602 sound?  Care to explain rather than just saying 'it's bad' or 'I don't get it'?  I also recommend you wait a few days it you are just listening out of the box.

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #722 of 1,195

Quote:
So what wrong w/ the 602 sound?  Care to explain rather than just saying 'it's bad' or 'I don't get it'?  I also recommend you wait a few days it you are just listening out of the box.

Be glad too. In my words there is little detail in the music in the normal EQ setting. Things I could hear before in a $30.00 player are gone. The other settings are unusable, muffled, stagnant .... like I said in my original rant ... horrible. I use the Rumours album by Fleetwood Mac for most of my baselines. I find their music tangible .. you can feel it. Mac offers good vocals, great guitar work both acoustic and electric, incredible percussion, keyboards, bass and an attention to detail ... not to mention the bands use of an array of effects. The strumming I heard before have become "chords". I hope I'm painting the picture for you .. I'm not in the habit of dishing things but the HM-602 I received is not a decent piece of equipment. After opening the box and listening for an hour through different headphones I felt compelled to post my thoughts. If the unit blew me away I'd be chasing a cable privately or chalk it up to someones way of life... but to hear what I have and receive what I did ... well I'll exercise my rights and share my experience. I cannot be the only one .....

That said I will take your respected advice and give it some more time  ... if anyone needs an extra cable let me know before trash day. I want it out of the house.

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #723 of 1,195
Well, I can imagine UM3X to be not-that-great sounding with HM602 purely on synergy issue, but the USB cable could very well be a mistake on HifiMan's part. I know they have make the mistake of sending out returned unit before (I think they moved their factory recently and many thing got misplaced, but I can't be sure), so it could be another mistake on their part. I think the least you could try is to contact Head-Direct and have them sort things out.

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #724 of 1,195
Has anyone noticed already that the HIFIMAN-262 no longer comes bundled with the HM-602? Batch 2 is officially filled. Not that I want to order one. I cancelled my order. Ovrclkd , I was trying to avoid your experience with the sound quality and presentation of the unit when I cancelled the order. To me the only good player is the HM-801, but it is out of my reach right now. Everything else is mediocre. Maybe you can still return your player if it is within the 30 day period.

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #725 of 1,195
^
Fang mentioned somewhere that today the pre order bundle with the RE262 will be finished so no more free RE262. The bundle with the RE262 wasn't going to last forever.

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #726 of 1,195
Ovrclkd may i make a suggestion, if you haven't already try it with the EQ OFF not set to normal.
Edit: ignore me i just had a play. I just turned the EQ menu off not the actual EQ
I would also be very unhappy if my cable had looked like that.

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #727 of 1,195
Quote:
Thanks Kid... that's the word I was looking for ... I got "jipped"

No, not really.

I am not particularly PC but FYI...   "jipped' is just an incorrect/evolved spelling for "gyped". Here is a decent explanation from the Internet:

Quote:
  : : : The word is gypped or gyped as related to gypsy.

: : : Quite stereotypical and racist to link a whole group of people to being thieves.

: : : The Roma have been made up of many different groups of people from the very beginning, and have absorbed outsiders throughout their history. Because they arrived in Europe from the East, they were thought by the first Europeans to be from Turkey or Nubia or Egypt, or any number of vaguely acknowledged non-European places, and they were called, among other things, Egyptians or 'Gyptians, which is where the word "Gypsy" comes from. In some places, this Egyptian identity was taken entirely seriously, and was no doubt borrowed by the early Roma themselves. In the 15th century, James the Fifth of Scotland concluded a treaty with a local Romani leader pledging the support of his armies to help recover "Little Egypt" (an old name for Epirus, on the Greek-Albanian coast) for them.

However... that cable is disgraceful! I heart your outrage.

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #728 of 1,195

Quote:
ovrclkd said:
Here's a shot of the cable .. for $400.00 they could have thrown a new 50 cent cable in there. If this came from anywhere in the U.S. they'd be out of business. Sorry for the rant .... I know most of you like yours, I must have gotten the runt of the litter. I think the IASUS speakers in my Shuberth S-1 Helmet Bluetoothed to the Garmin Zumo 550 sound better. Yea it's that bad ..... Here's what they send with a "$400.00" unit. This just isn't right .... at least not where I come from. 
angry_face.gif
  It's a good thing we have a no swearing rule ... feel free add your own expletives though ... I'd put one in every other word. 

Now lets see what kind of customer service we get ......

My wall charger....is even more horrible. Well just looking at that it was fine, but when I connected the player with the charger I got an electric shock. Not that powerful, but enough for me to discard the charger right away. Well the player wasn't damaged luckily. Now I have a feeling that If I did not get the shock then I would have used the charger and one day it would explode and set the entire dorm on fire. I am using the charger from the iRiver P10, it works perfectly.

My cable just didn't work. I am using stock D2 cables which is just fine.

Happy with the purchase? yeah I am. However I agree this is not what people send us with a $400 unit.

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #730 of 1,195
Am I the only one that has no loss of detail w/ the 602?  I hear more detail that any other portable I've tried.  The only difference is the soundstage is more congested than say the Sflo2.  Hopefully ovrclkd just got a bad unit.

@ ovrclkd - Does the sound stay the same out of the LO?  The LO isnt as powerful as the Sflo2 so you could actually just plug into it to find out.

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #732 of 1,195
Has anyone had a chance to listen to the M50 with these? I think I am having a good used deal but if the bass is too strong I might have to reconsider.

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #733 of 1,195

Quote:
Be glad too. In my words there is little detail in the music in the normal EQ setting. Things I could hear before in a $30.00 player are gone. The other settings are unusable, muffled, stagnant .... like I said in my original rant ... horrible. I use the Rumours album by Fleetwood Mac for most of my baselines. I find their music tangible .. you can feel it. Mac offers good vocals, great guitar work both acoustic and electric, incredible percussion, keyboards, bass and an attention to detail ... not to mention the bands use of an array of effects. The strumming I heard before have become "chords". I hope I'm painting the picture for you .. I'm not in the habit of dishing things but the HM-602 I received is not a decent piece of equipment. After opening the box and listening for an hour through different headphones I felt compelled to post my thoughts. If the unit blew me away I'd be chasing a cable privately or chalk it up to someones way of life... but to hear what I have and receive what I did ... well I'll exercise my rights and share my experience. I cannot be the only one .....

That said I will take your respected advice and give it some more time  ... if anyone needs an extra cable let me know before trash day. I want it out of the house.

You are not the only one ovrclkd, albeit nowhere near as bad an experiance. Everything arrived in perfect condition, the only qualm I have is with the sound quality of the hm-602.
First off I need to say it is not bad, it is just nowhere near what I expected. I am using my ie8's with TWag (near new -100hrs) and my friends fully burnt in ie8's, grado 225's.
For portable i used my iphone 3GS with Graham Slee Voyager (awesome amp btw). 
So -  Iphone LO+ voyager (boost off) beats 602 HO.
       - Iphone LO + voyager (boost off) beats 602 LO + voyager (only just, iphone LO has more detail, clear, tighter, refined)
       - 602 HO beats Iphone HO ( This again was not by a considerable margin, smoother, more powerful bass & dynamics)

My iMod smashed my iphone LO with alot more detail, more neutral sound sig. Unfortunately I sold it some time ago. I expected the 602 to clearly outdo my iphone which would make up for it's shortcommings ie ineterface, battery etc. I feel that I can say with confidence that the iMod would outperform the 602 LO only.
Also the EQ where entirely useless IMO. I wont go into it, they were shocking.- I can not imagine anyone using them.

I have also compared the 602 and iphone 3gs LO only by using my Maverick D1 Line in desktop amp with my HD650 TWag.
With the desktop amp the 602 LO is performing slightly better than the iphone LO now. The 602 LO has more power, dynamics,smoother.

I know that synergy has alot to do with these results. I guess that in summary, the LO of these two devices are very close and I expected the 602 to be significantly better.
Also the 602 is not fully burnt in and seems to be improving slowly but slightly. Has anyone found significant burn-in improvements???
It is a beautiful player and I would love to keep it but unless it improves a fair bit, I will probably be sending it back.  

This is of course just my own experiance and I am relatively new to this hobby/addiction so please take my opinions with a grain of salt. I would love to know if anyone has had a similar experiance and especially if anyone has noticed changes with burn-in???

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #734 of 1,195

Quote:
Has anyone had a chance to listen to the M50 with these? I think I am having a good used deal but if the bass is too strong I might have to reconsider.

I did a listen with M50s. Bass is not too strong, at least not for me.

And yeah I agree the EQ is horrible, its probably there just so its there and the player has one functionality more.

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #735 of 1,195
i m not sure whats happening( how ever that cable looks seriously wrong !!! ) but i am with you that my 602 & RE262 works fine and i had been running them both since yesterday 3pm non stop till now

so far my opinion is the 602 + RE262 is really strong on vocal (treble?? bass is not bad at all~ you definitely hear bass) but i cant tell whether that's due to 262 or 602 ~ i was really impress by the performance hence i posted "wow, oh my god" i actually asked myself which one is better ? 801 or 602 ? but since i got 602 i haven't listen back to 801 (reason being i m testing 602 extensively and exclusively thus later when i hear back 801 i should be able to instantly hear the difference~ i also unplug my TF10 etc etc only 602 + RE262 now)

so far i like my 602 so i guess i have the luxury of keeping them long pass the run-in period, i understand for many the full refund period might not fit  within their run-in period so they have to make up their mind whether to keep or return as soon as possible .......

i m sure gradually the feedback will kick in one after another so i will just wait, i m  also eager to hear others feedback on RE262 coz i m really impress(still i haven't touch any other earphone yet,so don't take my word straight away)

two things i think is important here ~

1st if you felt that 602 cant even beat your usual set up like mobile phone plus amp etc etc, i mean really ~ commonsense apply that's gotta be some thing wrong coz unless i m nuts or biologically structured different than most of people (which i don't as i m pretty sure last time i checked i have regular size of cock LOL) i think u should really consider refund..... perhaps you will miss out the free RE262 but wouldn't you wana wait out see others feedback and have a stress free mind instead of all the anxiety ? i m sure Head-Direct only want their customer to be happy !! coz keeping an unhappy customer forever is like having virus inside your body, no body would want that.

2nd thing is the EQ .......... unfortunately this has been since 801 ~ if any one dig up my past post, you should see i complain about the EQ from day one and i suggest every one to switch it off coz i rather not have EQ and its useless. but other than that there is nothing more than love to my 801 and i was never a EQ guy any way(too lazy,but i kind of like Sony's Mega bass since its lazy guy's friend)

not trying to put my words in Fang's mouth, but i think Fang don't like EQ ~ fang has his unique philosophy towards whats best sound, i guess that's his sonic signature~~ like buying Grado , JH, Westone etc etc i m sure we are all buying a piece of their designer's sound signature.

i m not sure if the EQ issue will be solve or not, but if you r having difficult time with your 602? try switch off the EQ etc and see if there is any improvement ?

P.S: my RE262 has no channel balance issue after run-in ~
Quote:
Am I the only one that has no loss of detail w/ the 602?  I hear more detail that any other portable I've tried.  The only difference is the soundstage is more congested than say the Sflo2.  Hopefully ovrclkd just got a bad unit.

@ ovrclkd - Does the sound stay the same out of the LO?  The LO isnt as powerful as the Sflo2 so you could actually just plug into it to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back