HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Oct 25, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #601 of 1,195
You sure you mean AAC, not ALAC? I don't care about ALAC, but and all my files are @256kbps AAC, so I don't feel like converting my library to something else..

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #603 of 1,195
I have used a number of resistive in line attenuators and all of them affect the sound in some way. The thing is that I don't want to use an outboard amp or outboard cable. Simplicity, especially when driven by a high end player, is paramount. If I spend a load of dosh on a player that is supposed to rule the roost, it had better run my earphones well. The S:Flo, iPod touch and iPod shuffle 5G all hiss within very small tolerances. I have no problem with any of them and the DACPort is best, but of course, it is a USB device and not good for out and about. I want to know what is missing in the hissy players, or what is added that adds hiss. The S:Flo, iPod touch 2G and shuffle 5G and Dacport are fine with even the most sensitive of iems. That level of hiss I can tolerate. The AMP3Pro hisses with the ER4S, believe it or not and a number of my large headphones. AND, it doesn't drive lowΩ phones well at all - losing stereo separation, driving up distortion, and losing bass resolution. 

I expect the 602 drives low ohm phones better becasue the 802 is supposed to do so, but if it hisses, I am not interested. I will borrow on maybe soon to check. 

Quote:
Most players will have background noise. Unfortunately some IEMs have high sensitivity. Use an inline resistor to limit the hiss.  It might be slightly more difficult to drive with it, but it is worth experimenting. Make sure it is primarily resistive, so that the sound will not be affected. If it has a capacitor (i.e., Etymotic P->S converter), then it will change the sound.

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #606 of 1,195
Of course, being behind the Korean firewall, I may never receive the 602. I'd love to test it fresh, but I'm not willing to risk customs here.

Quote:
there's the 30 day money back try out, which I know...it is still $439!!!

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #607 of 1,195
sorry my bad, i mixed it up with Apple's ALAC ~~~ i thought i remember i read AAC from most mobile phone music support format from memory when i look up my SE 's Spec but jump the gun too fast

so yeah AAC is supported according to this URL   http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/424053/updated-hifiman-hm-801-portable-music-player-preorder

Quote:
You sure you mean AAC, not ALAC? I don't care about ALAC, but and all my files are @256kbps AAC, so I don't feel like converting my library to something else..

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #608 of 1,195

consider yourself very lucky ~ in some countries , you not only have to "TIP" the custom, pay the import tax & sales tax ~~~ you also have high chance of losing the package or being opened and lost parts or items of your package
wink.gif
seriously !!!
Quote:
Of course, being behind the Korean firewall, I may never receive the 602. I'd love to test it fresh, but I'm not willing to risk customs here.

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #609 of 1,195
^^ I lived in Canada, so I know what that is about. But imagine this: you are given a relatively good custom limit of 150$, but that custom includes shipping. If you rush a 90$ product, or just suffer from high shipping costs and that number runs above 150$, you pay. Customs in Korea, charges shipping as if it is part of the product. Plus they'll open it and have fun with it all they want. Overall, their package system is very good and I love the post here, but the customs is one of those horrid instances of non-trust and arbitrary governance. 

AND: you pay customs and there is NO guarantee that you will see the product. That has happened to me only once, but I don't want to chance it. I've started buying and shipping to Japan instead and waiting till I'm there to pick my stuff up. 

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #610 of 1,195
Australian r quite lucky, i think the custom limit is AU$1000 including shipping, as long as you dont go over that then u r fine~ also no food or medicine i think , keep in mind with that limit and play nicely you can get alot of goodies from ebay global..... while compare to US.... i dont even feel like i wana ship my human body there at all consider the airport scanner and Radiation all that

Quote:
^^ I lived in Canada, so I know what that is about. But imagine this: you are given a relatively good custom limit of 150$, but that custom includes shipping. If you rush a 90$ product, or just suffer from high shipping costs and that number runs above 150$, you pay. Customs in Korea, charges shipping as if it is part of the product. Plus they'll open it and have fun with it all they want. Overall, their package system is very good and I love the post here, but the customs is one of those horrid instances of non-trust and arbitrary governance. 

AND: you pay customs and there is NO guarantee that you will see the product. That has happened to me only once, but I don't want to chance it. I've started buying and shipping to Japan instead and waiting till I'm there to pick my stuff up. 

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #611 of 1,195
Even the horrible Korean tax didn't prevent me from ordering this player
wink.gif
(tax will be about $80).

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #613 of 1,195

Quote:
I hope you get it in safely. I've paid customs on certain items and never received them. Show my passport, prove that I ain't a terrorist, lose sleep and still no soap. 

Thanks, I do understand dealing with foreign country's government may be frustrating. 

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #614 of 1,195
Once on the subject, there's EUR1000=USD1350 limit of duty free import into Russia (=total per month, shipping excluded). Good enough for me.
Talk about free trade...

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #615 of 1,195
I placed my order for the HM-602, but then I changed my mind after reading so many reviews describing the rather dark sound of the player and cancelled it. I am all about treble. I wonder if this player has enough to keep me happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back