HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Oct 9, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #406 of 1,195
Quote:
Imo RE262 can go beyond what 602 is capable of providing.

Could you specify what you mean, please?

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #407 of 1,195

Quote:
Could you specify what you mean, please?

What I meant was the 602's amp isn't sufficient enough to drive the RE262s to its full potential. That's my opinion at least. They are very good earphones deserving more what 602 has to offer.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #409 of 1,195

Quote:
I did not want to open the DBA-02 if I might sell them they are still sealed. I can not afford to them keep both.  I will wait for more reviews in the next couple of weeks

You probably wouldn't lose much if any value since the DBAs are always out of stock.

So now one person is saying the 602 can't drive the 262 adequately and another that says the 602 is better than the Sflo2 with an Arrow.  They can't both be true unless the 262 is as hard to drive as a Sennheiser 650.

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #411 of 1,195

Quote:
You probably wouldn't lose much if any value since the DBAs are always out of stock.

So now one person is saying the 602 can't drive the 262 adequately and another that says the 602 is better than the Sflo2 with an Arrow.  They can't both be true unless the 262 is as hard to drive as a Sennheiser 650.

Clarification- I never said it cannot drive them adequately. Never. What I did say is 262 can do better with a more powerful amp just like HD800 can do better with a more powerful amp. See the difference? A generic earphone can be driven with any cmoy to its full potential. Regarding sensitivity- I found easier to drive HD600 than RE262. I won't be giving any more impressions as people might misinterpret them, again.

Oct 10, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #412 of 1,195
anymore impressions?? or maybe a comparsion against S-flo2 and toucan?

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #414 of 1,195
This interests me. I feel that once the hype dies out, people will start noticing the flaws in this player. Keep it coming. I think, I will stay away from the 602. I may save and get the 801 instead.

Quote:
When I test the DAC function of 602(Using the line out of 602 to my home theater with big subwoofer), I found bass roll off at low frequency with 602's line out.

My cheap creative USB sound blaster live sound card does not have bass roll off with this same setup.  

Does anyone notice that?

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #415 of 1,195

Quote:
This interests me. I feel that once the hype dies out, people will start noticing the flaws in this player. Keep it coming. I think, I will stay away from the 602. I may save and get the 801 instead.

It maybe hype that currently be driving the reviews, but I have found warp08's reviews fairly objective (or as objective as one can get in this hobby). According to warp08 (who is the only one to have done a comparison between the HM-801 and HM-602), the difference between the two players is only fleshed out when using high-res music (24/96 or higher).

Oct 10, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #416 of 1,195
I don't have mine yet. From a few Chinese posts I gathered: the mid range sounds sticky, very good for Chinese Vocal Pop (think Western Folk Song); high treble and low bass to be desired. (Those people have the finalized version, not earlier versions; and they are not totally happy with this player.)
More opinions, please. Anyone ?

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #417 of 1,195

Quote:
I don't have mine yet. From a few Chinese posts I gathered: the mid range sounds sticky, very good for Chinese Vocal Pop (think Western Folk Song); high treble and low bass to be desired. (Those people have the finalized version, not earlier versions; and they are not totally happy with this player.)
More opinions, please. Anyone ?

A first batch of HM-602s was released to the Chinese market only sometime early September.  Using feedback from this batch, Head-Direct had made some further modifications and tuning to the final design, which is the version that is distributed to the US and other markets, including China I presume from now on.  It sounds like whatever feedback you're referring to was from that early batch.  I have posted a preview in mid August about my impressions of that at Can Fest, NC and the sound quality of that pre-production sample was not bad, but nowhere near as good as the final products.  I think I said something unscientific as "80" of the HM-801 or similar to illustrate my impressions.

The final version's overall sound quality, at least thru headphones and IEMs is different now to that of the HM-801 (depending on which amp module the 801 is using), but that "difference" has narrowed considerably.  So the choice between them could indeed depend on factors like budget, preferred genre and application (on-the-go or desktop listening) than tiering based on specs vs the flagship model.

Bear in mind this is just my evaluation based on my hearing.  Others may come to a different conclusion and prefer one over the other.

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #418 of 1,195
Quote:

It maybe hype that currently be driving the reviews, but I have found warp08's reviews fairly objective (or as objective as one can get in this hobby). According to warp08 (who is the only one to have done a comparison between the HM-801 and HM-602), the difference between the two players is only fleshed out when using high-res music (24/96 or higher).

I thought that Warp was quite clear on the superiority of the 801 with 16 bit flac. Of course the differences will be even greater with 24/96 since the 602 downsamples those.

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #419 of 1,195

Quote:
A first batch of HM-602s was released to the Chinese market only sometime early September.  Using feedback from this batch, Head-Direct had made some further modifications and tuning to the final design, which is the version that is distributed to the US and other markets, including China I presume from now on.  It sounds like whatever feedback you're referring to was from that early batch.  I have posted a preview in mid August about my impressions of that at Can Fest, NC and the sound quality of that pre-production sample was not bad, but nowhere near as good as the final products.  I think I said something unscientific as "80" of the HM-801 or similar to illustrate my impressions.

The final version's overall sound quality, at least thru headphones and IEMs is different now to that of the HM-801 (depending on which amp module the 801 is using), but that "difference" has narrowed considerably.  So the choice between them could indeed depend on factors like budget, preferred genre and application (on-the-go or desktop listening) than tiering based on specs vs the flagship model.

Bear in mind this is just my evaluation based on my hearing.  Others may come to a different conclusion and prefer one over the other.

Reviews and PM I have read, they were for the final version. Those people don't have 602 for too long, 7 to 10 days. I am not saying it's bad; it's just me, I am more interested in "faults". I'd like to know the good and the worst before I buy - I basically don't like surprises. Again, it's in-line with "roll-off" we already knew about 801, since 602's sound is 90 percents of 801 (according to Fang). I am asking myself, I already have some hi-end DAP, do I really want another one ?  For me, I'll probably not to cancel my pre-order, I can always return it within 30 days; for some, it's time to read 801 reviews (especially read the negative points), you will get better idea what you get into.

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #420 of 1,195
I just went to the post office and guess what I found?

Totally wasn't expecting to find it (seeing as I never got an email), but sure enough my HM-602 and RE262 was there waiting for me.
It could have been there for close to a week, so not getting an email was a pain.

Playing around with it now. I won't comment on the sound but what I will say is it is SO MUCH lighter than I expected it to be!
Once I play with the settings some more and put some (more) music on it I'll give you my impressions on the sound.

So far so good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back