HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Jan 20, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #1,726 of 3,439
I accidentally connected my D8000 to the LO on my RS8 output and blasted my ears with 100 on the volume for 2 seconds. I blasted my ears with my Astell DAP as well a couple years ago because the volume changes so rapidly when you happen to touch the screen. I wonder how many decibels the headphones max out at? And how many times this can happen before you damage hearing permanently. I’m sure this happens to almost everyone because it happens very easily.
It happened to me as well several times on various gears, so I developed a reflex to remove the headphones from my head instead of starting to look for the volume knob. That proved to be faster and more universal.

No idea what is needed for permanent damage. Here are some little basics:
https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/hearing_loss/how_does_loud_noise_cause_hearing_loss.html

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #1,727 of 3,439
It happened to me as well several times on various gears, so I developed a reflex to remove the headphones from my head instead of starting to look for the volume knob. That proved to be faster and more universal.

No idea what is needed for permanent damage. Here are some little basics:
https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/hearing_loss/how_does_loud_noise_cause_hearing_loss.html
Yes I should definitely try to remember to remove the headphones before playing music. Glad to hear you’re ok happening a few times. Maybe a few times not too bad.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #1,728 of 3,439
The beginning or the end? Or the end of the beginning or the beginning of the end.

Ah well, this sounds great and I have found a pair of Elites that are within reach.

Rs8. C9. Nutsac. Not shown but heard are HD660S

2D845406-C7A5-4F9C-A5CC-6E364DA03445.jpeg

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #1,729 of 3,439
Hi , probably I missed this while surfing the thread .. is there anyone here posted impressions of RS8 vs M17 and SP3000 ( or owns some of them for comparison )?

I haven't spent much time comparing or drafting impressions between the RS8 and M17, but your inquiry was a catalyst for me to dust off my M17. My impressions will be less of which one between the two is best as IEM/headphone and DAP synergy in my experience plays an important role. As you'll note in my sig, I own a couple of DAPs as each have their unique sound characteristics and technical features – I tend to not double up DAPs with same DACs and weigh AMP signature highly important.

DAP impressions are evaluated using an Orioulus RAOSound audio selector with Cayin CS-44C44 8-wire hybrid copper interconnects (24 core OFC, 8 core 6N SCC). Today's IEM, FiR Xe6 and Eletech OTL (Ode to Laura, copper) cable. RS8 has over 200 hours of listening time and 160 hours for M17.

I volume matched both DAPs and the M17 was set to over-headphone gain (battery mode) / vol 28 to match RS8's Turbo mode, medium gain, no Darwin controller presets or MSEIB, vol 28.

Overall the RS8 has a natural tonality with fuller body giving weight to the notes, analog sound and texture – the Xe6 is a warm sounding IEM and the RS8 doesn't add any additional warmth. Upper frequencies and smooth. Depending on track, vocals are intimate with accurate imaging and layer of instruments. With IEM synergy, the RS8 is musically foot tapping-head nodding engaging.

Whereas the M17 is revealing with neutral tonality which comes off as dry, treble and upper mids are cooler – It's not harsh or bright as most associate with ESS DAC as I think Fiio has done exceptional work to implementing the ESS Pro DAC – perhaps THX 788+ AMP contributes a bit to this. Sound stage comes off with less depth and vocals are more forward. Plugged into DC power mode with enhanced over-headphone mode selected, I hear a tad more warmth in the mids. Personally I find this mode transforms the M17 but at the loss of portability.

Currently the RS8 is the GOAT quickly followed by 3MAX SS and N8ii, DX312 is my travel and M17 assigned as headphone DAP:

RS8 + Xe6 / EXT / EVO / Indigo / Audeze
3MAX + Xe6 / EXT / EVO / Indigo / Audeze
N8ii + Xe6 / EXT / EVO
M17 + EXT / EVO / Audeze

What I enjoy the most with RS8 is its overall natural tonality analog sound and texture where it brings out the best features of each IEM. The sound customizations and features are a bonus and adds to the RS8's flexibility, including long battery life and playtime.

DAP selection comes down to personal tastes and use cases (sound signature, etc), collection of headphones and IEMs. If you're looking for a "reference" sound, I recommend M17 but you should also consider iBasso's highly regarded DX320 which offers more flexibility with AMP sigs and value - BTW iBasso makes some incredible AMPs and DAPs that punches above their price points – a DX320 (standard with AMP11mk2s) with AMP14 (dual tubes) or AMP12 price wise would be close to M17 and would be a more engaging portable listen.

IMG_0452.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #1,730 of 3,439
The beginning or the end? Or the end of the beginning or the beginning of the end.

Ah well, this sounds great and I have found a pair of Elites that are within reach.

Where did you get the nutsac? Does it fit both units?

Jan 20, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #1,732 of 3,439

2D845406-C7A5-4F9C-A5CC-6E364DA03445.jpeg
Elites sound great, even without C9, directly out of the RS8.

Jan 21, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #1,736 of 3,439
I haven't spent much time comparing or drafting impressions between the RS8 and M17, but your inquiry was a catalyst for me to dust off my M17. My impressions will be less of which one between the two is best as IEM/headphone and DAP synergy in my experience plays an important role. As you'll note in my sig, I own a couple of DAPs as each have their unique sound characteristics and technical features – I tend to not double up DAPs with same DACs and weigh AMP signature highly important.

DAP impressions are evaluated using an Orioulus RAOSound audio selector with Cayin CS-44C44 8-wire hybrid copper interconnects (24 core OFC, 8 core 6N SCC). Today's IEM, FiR Xe6 and Eletech OTL (Ode to Laura, copper) cable. RS8 has over 200 hours of listening time and 160 hours for M17.

I volume matched both DAPs and the M17 was set to over-headphone gain (battery mode) / vol 28 to match RS8's Turbo mode, medium gain, no Darwin controller presets or MSEIB, vol 28.

Overall the RS8 has a natural tonality with fuller body giving weight to the notes, analog sound and texture – the Xe6 is a warm sounding IEM and the RS8 doesn't add any additional warmth. Upper frequencies and smooth. Depending on track, vocals are intimate with accurate imaging and layer of instruments. With IEM synergy, the RS8 is musically foot tapping-head nodding engaging.

Whereas the M17 is revealing with neutral tonality which comes off as dry, treble and upper mids are cooler – It's not harsh or bright as most associate with ESS DAC as I think Fiio has done exceptional work to implementing the ESS Pro DAC – perhaps THX 788+ AMP contributes a bit to this. Sound stage comes off with less depth and vocals are more forward. Plugged into DC power mode with enhanced over-headphone mode selected, I hear a tad more warmth in the mids. Personally I find this mode transforms the M17 but at the loss of portability.

Currently the RS8 is the GOAT quickly followed by 3MAX SS and N8ii, DX312 is my travel and M17 assigned as headphone DAP:

RS8 + Xe6 / EXT / EVO / Indigo / Audeze
3MAX + Xe6 / EXT / EVO / Indigo / Audeze
N8ii + Xe6 / EXT / EVO
M17 + EXT / EVO / Audeze

What I enjoy the most with RS8 is its overall natural tonality analog sound and texture where it brings out the best features of each IEM. The sound customizations and features are a bonus and adds to the RS8's flexibility, including long battery life and playtime.

DAP selection comes down to personal tastes and use cases (sound signature, etc), collection of headphones and IEMs. If you're looking for a "reference" sound, I recommend M17 but you should also consider iBasso's highly regarded DX320 which offers more flexibility with AMP sigs and value - BTW iBasso makes some incredible AMPs and DAPs that punches above their price points – a DX320 (standard with AMP11mk2s) with AMP14 (dual tubes) or AMP12 price wise would be close to M17 and would be a more engaging portable listen.

Thanks for the write up.. It softened my interest for M17 , and added some for dx320 o 300max .
Between ESS and AK chips i like the second which are more analogue and musical and less analitical, and less highs too . The Shanling M9 uses AK4499eq chips but there 's not so much reference for it as for other flagships dap

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #1,739 of 3,439
@Joe Bloggs Do you know why the RS8 as the only DAP does not work with an Ethernet cable?
Unfortunately I don't. My guess is it might have something to do with the Android version and something that broke while adapting a new version to this hardware.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 22, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #1,740 of 3,439
Has somebody compared the RS8 and N8ii with the Phoenix?
The topic: I own the RS6, a C9 and the N8ii.
And my VE EXT, Fourté Noir and Indigo sounds to my ears slightly better with the RS6/C9 combo.
But, the Phoenix fits perfectly to the a little bit more treble forward N8ii.
So, I’m wondering, whether the RS8 could also be a good match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back