HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Jan 28, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #1,756 of 3,437
à l'extérieur, je suis hors ligne pour marée ou quobuz. à la maison j'utilise uapp qui fait du très bon boulot. si je veux roon alors c'est sur mon hugo2/2go. I quit roon arc on android
How do you see the difference between Hugo2 and RS8 sound wise?
Would be intersting to hear as Hugo2 is also a top player in its own regards

Jan 28, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #1,757 of 3,437
Comment voyez-vous la différence entre Hugo2 et RS8 en termes de son ?
Ce serait intéressant à entendre car Hugo2 est également un acteur de premier plan à ses propres égards
Sorry, I can not compare because I do not have the rs8. I allowed myself to intervene on the problem of roon arc with android, problem that I also encounter with ibasso dx320 that I have.

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #1,759 of 3,437
Well guys am I glad I never sold my original Focal Utopia as it sounds fantastic and best with turbo off. This is the best DAP I’ve ever heard by a big margin and I only have 10 hours on it.
I only have 19hrs on mine 🥲🥲😅

You're in for a treat as it starts nearing the 150 hour mark and the 200 hour mark. Enjoy!!!
ok, so break in starts to improve after..

I found that the burn in seemed to hit a break though at about 120 hours
Ok, starting at 120hrs we getting improvements.

My RS8 took over 200 hrs to fully open up and allow the treble and lower mids to blossom. Also takes ~20 mins to warm up and get all the dynamism flowing on every session.
Ah-ha, so "over" 200hr mark to "fully" open up....

Same for mine, the high has a noticeable difference after 150 hours, it is a lot brighter and cleaner than I first got it, I don't know if it's just me getting used to the sound of RSR but I did compare it with my LGPT Ti and SP2000 SS ( Both are great in high with sparkle in the treble ), I honestly love the high on R2R more. :)
ok, so the 150hr mark is a step up.

Things really took a turn for me at around 200 hours of burn in
ok, 200hrs...
All of a sudden, a huge change on Friday with 200 hours in
So should I assume that the general consensus, is reaching past the 200hr mark?

This is a superior docking solution. The orientation of the DAP is portrait instead of landscape. It charges the DAP while using it as source for a desktop and there is only 1 cable in the chain. Costs about $50-60.

Unfortunately, this cable is silver plated, and I have noted that silver plated cable almost always causes perception distortion within the treble "air" spectrum. Plus you have a long length where both channels are intertwined together.
So I feel you may be loosing out. I instead use a solid adapter, to my separate R & L cables.

What you are hearing now is not what you will hear around 200 hours. The change happens overnight and it is very noticeable. I am at about 250 hours. Your patience will be rewarded.
I am sensitive to shrill treble. I returned my Meze Liric because of this reason. The highs in the RS8 are “active” but do not fatigue me. Like little birds flying around.
can you or anyone chime on topic of burn-in period after the 200hrs?

Hiby is releasing a flagship iem tonight, name Zeta.
couldn't find it online.

But SP3k has a faster transient response of note on/off, a sharper transition which creates the perception of an even darker background, while RS8 is more of an "analog" flavor with less intense transition to make the sound smoother.
I was able to adjust transient in "MSEB", and "could" also select the RS8 to simulate the SP3k AKM dac chip, in it's "mastermind" plugin, but why would anyone want AKM chip sound, when you have R2R. 🙂

The RS8 I got for review uses a different ALPs pot, no click feedback. So, where did you purchase yours from?
I recently bought my unit(Jan16) and I can notice something, but only very very faintly.

Mine has very subtle detents that make no noise and are easy to miss if I'm not paying attention. When I gently turn the volume pot with one finger, I can feel the detents. Subtle but definitely there...
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends
IF I put my naked ear physically close to the volume knob (not thru any IEM/headphones) in a very quiet room, I can hear the very very subtle tiny clicks, like a combination safe! Although turning the knob, it is very hard to feel anything as it is super smooth.
To clarify, this is not in the audio outputs, but a physical aspect with unit off.

MSEB is so good to have, really enjoying the HD8xx now. Got an NX7 coming in for more power. Hopefully they’ll stack well.
Thanks for the tip! I slightly adjusted some sound settings here:
20230129_151713.jpg
and then added just a touch here
20230129_151735.jpg
for more sparkle, and there
20230129_151750.jpg
for some more addictive bass control, and then 💥 wow, it has more air and liveliness and the control on bass can be eye popping.
I was never an EQ guy, but this menu was so laid out so easy, that now I don't feel I have to wait for "full"(?) break-in (another 180hrs away for me!).

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #1,760 of 3,437
I also played different DSD files and no issued plus volume level is perfect, but I boosted it to 9db anyways as it sounds so clear and resolving, a real jaw drop experience 👍.
This player kept me up half the night past 4am its hard to put down!

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #1,762 of 3,437
As far as synergy with IEMs is concerned, the "MSEB" settings are very flexible and can tailor any of your IEMs to "sound" more to your preferences. It is much more intuitive than an EQ.

It's also a sort of consolation, if you can't get you hands on them "Elite" type IEMs
20230130_102327.jpg
The RS8 compliments them all.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #1,763 of 3,437
I've paired RS8 with various I own and have access to; personal preference plays a part, and RS8 and Dita PPT provided me with perfect synergy. The two just enhanced each other's strength.

I was on the border with RS8 sound until I l listened to Dita's PPT.

I don't feel like I'm listening to a portable setup; it feels like I'm listening to a very high-end near-field speaker!

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #1,764 of 3,437
As far as synergy with IEMs is concerned, the "MSEB" settings are very flexible and can tailor any of your IEMs to "sound" more to your preferences. It is much more intuitive than an EQ.

It's also a sort of consolation, if you can't get you hands on them "Elite" type IEMs
20230130_102327.jpg
The RS8 compliments them all.

You can have MSEB on any Android DAP/Phone using the Hiby Music app or system wide on any Hiby or even on Cayin N8ii (and maybe N6ii) if rooted.

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #1,765 of 3,437
I've paired RS8 with various I own and have access to; personal preference plays a part, and RS8 and Dita PPT provided me with perfect synergy. The two just enhanced each other's strength.

I was on the border with RS8 sound until I l listened to Dita's PPT.

I don't feel like I'm listening to a portable setup; it feels like I'm listening to a very high-end near-field speaker!
You don't find the sound too dull as the Hiby is very relaxed and easy to listen to in the first place. I'm looking for a flagship in ear. I wanted to hear the Vision Ears phonix, the EXT, and the elysium before I buy. I'm going to Axpona in April and hope to hear these. I'm sure Dita won't be there. I didn't like the UM Mest MKII at all I also have the Audeze in ear single driver headphones.

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #1,766 of 3,437
I just wanted to comment at how much better my unit is functioning since the most recent firmware update.
All of the issues I was experiencing have gone away. Plug ins are back and working, side buttons all work properly when using things like Uap pro and tidal. Also volume issues.
Very happy with my RS8. It is a game changer- so glad I chose it over the SP3K.

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #1,767 of 3,437
You don't find the sound too dull as the Hiby is very relaxed and easy to listen to in the first place. I'm looking for a flagship in ear. I wanted to hear the Vision Ears phonix, the EXT, and the elysium before I buy. I'm going to Axpona in April and hope to hear these. I'm sure Dita won't be there. I didn't like the UM Mest MKII at all I also have the Audeze in ear single driver headphones.
For me I didn't think it was dullll, it sounded like a headphone .

Jan 31, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #1,768 of 3,437
IMG_20230131_112427-raw.jpg
Is someone asking about these? No? That's a pity, I can't say anything about any of our products unless someone asks a question about it 🤫

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 31, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #1,769 of 3,437
IMG_20230131_112427-raw.jpg
Is someone asking about these? No? That's a pity, I can't say anything about any of our products unless someone asks a question about it 🤫
Ehem…

What’s the driver configuration? Do we have a release date? And also, how much???

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #1,770 of 3,437
Ehem…

What’s the driver configuration? Do we have a release date? And also, how much???
There's a dynamic driver, 4 BAs and 4 electrostats (9 drivers in total per side) in a 5-way crossover configuration.

I was skeptical about the coherence of the combination but the sample has made me a believer.

This should start making its rounds soon after manufacturing in China is back from the month long Chinese New Year holidays.

🤫???

I think they might have flubbed the naming of the product a bit... I see this as their intended be-all and end-all for awhile yet. Should have called it the Omega. Well, maybe I'm wrong and something even bigger is coming up in the future??? But this is pretty big for me. In terms of loadout I see this as being about as big as it can sensibly get and the sound I'm hearing is certainly very convincing.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back