HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Jan 18, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #1,696 of 3,413
I forget where it was posted here, that the rear of the unit is a fingerprint magnet, so I decided to place a screen protector on the rear
20230116_182505.jpg
when I first recieved my unit. The question now is I'm thinking I should pull off that outer layer for better heat dissipation and grip.
That outer layer is a bit hard.

Jan 18, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #1,697 of 3,413
I also noticed that the leather presentation case is a nice place to store the unit, except that once the leather case is on the RS8 , it no longer fits in center of top section.
20230116_182230.jpg
So I found out you can switch the inner sections to swap the lower section on top,
20230116_182739.jpg
so that the larger opening can be used to rest my unit when not in use,
20230116_183143.jpg
and the extra openings can be used for IEMs. 👍

Jan 18, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #1,698 of 3,413
I’m surprised there are no third party cases yet. I didn’t find the RS8 to give off that much heat (for my use case) to where I felt it needed to be exposed at the back like that. Given how prone the body of the DAP is to scratches and discoloration, it would be nice to see a more protective case. Even something TPU to show off the titanium finish.

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #1,699 of 3,413
I also noticed that the leather presentation case is a nice place to store the unit, except that once the leather case is on the RS8 , it no longer fits in center of top section.

So I found out you can switch the inner sections to swap the lower section on top,

so that the larger opening can be used to rest my unit when not in use,

and the extra openings can be used for IEMs. 👍

Thanks for letting us know! I’ll do the same thing switching the bottom to the top!
I’m keeping my screen protectant on the back for the time being because I don’t know how good it is for the skin to touch that titanium? And it gets really dirty and ugly. Definitely needs a better case!

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #1,700 of 3,413
NOTE: This is my personal experience with titanium ownership from bikes to watches.

When the back of the my RS8 gets discolored or oxidized over time from touch or out in the open, I use a drop of clear mild liquid dishwashing detergent (specifically, Palmolive Utra Pure + Clear) on a lightly damp (not wet or soaking wet) microfiber cloth. Work it in to get a light sud. With the RS8 off, gently wipe it then followed by a dry microfiber. Repeat for back, then side, top and bottom. If there's residual water streak, I'll huff it with my breath and wipe.

This is the process I use on my natural unsealed titanium bike frames.

IMG_0310.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #1,701 of 3,413
NOTE: This is my personal experience with titanium ownership from bikes to watches.

When the back of the my RS8 gets discorded or oxidize over time from touch or out in the open, I use a drop of clear mild liquid dishwashing detergent (specifically, Palmolive Utra Pure + Clear) on a damp microfiber cloth. Work it in to get a light sud. With the RS8 off, I just gentle wipe it then followed by a dry microfiber. I'll do the back, then side, top and bottom. If there's residual water streak, I'll huff it with my breath and wipe.

This is the process I use on my natural unsealed titanium bike frames.

Thanks very much for the tip!
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #1,702 of 3,413
Thanks for letting us know! I’ll do the same thing switching the bottom to the top!
I’m keeping my screen protectant on the back for the time being because I don’t know how good it is for the skin to touch that titanium? And it gets really dirty and ugly. Definitely needs a better case!
I'm doing the same thing with keeping a screen protector covering the back. The RS8 really needs a better (more protective) case.
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #1,703 of 3,413
Jan 19, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #1,704 of 3,413
On the surface, fixing it should be possible given that Hiby Music (using Tidal) does not have the issue.
I actually like HiBy Music, it seems to be a well designed app, and will continue using it. But, Tidal's download for offline playback is a feature absolutely have to use in certain situations.
That is only possible because HiBy Music is integrated with the firmware of the player, reads MQA file metadata (which are not always accurate) and signal to the player in advance that the next file is MQA or not. This is not possible on any third party app unless they program specifically for our player, which I don't see will happen even if it's possible.

Or, it can be "fixed", if we just upsample everything to the sample rate of MQA 16x, MQA or not.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 19, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #1,705 of 3,413
That is only possible because HiBy Music is integrated with the firmware of the player, reads MQA file metadata (which are not always accurate) and signal to the player in advance that the next file is MQA or not. This is not possible on any third party app unless they program specifically for our player, which I don't see will happen even if it's possible.

Or, it can be "fixed", if we just upsample everything to the sample rate of MQA 16x, MQA or not.
Thanks for the explanation Joe.

Jan 19, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #1,706 of 3,413
Here's what HiByCast UI (screen mirroring) looks like on Android. Scrolling and response can be a little slow but works well and stable.

I didn't realize just how convenient and great the hibby cast is on my phone!
Screenshot_20230119_011330_HiByCast.jpg
No lag on Fold4 split screen 🙂 actually for me to the Dap screen responds quicker to my finger than on the phone(!), so I guess my phone reflects response like a split second after the dap responds. So prob what your encountering.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #1,707 of 3,413
this is a Fold4 landscape screenshot
Screenshot_20230119_013820_HiByCast.jpg
I will will be switching to a surface Duo phone to see how that feels.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #1,708 of 3,413
I forget where it was posted here, that the rear of the unit is a fingerprint magnet, so I decided to place a screen protector on the rear
20230116_182505.jpg
when I first recieved my unit. The question now is I'm thinking I should pull off that outer layer for better heat dissipation and grip.
That outer layer is a bit hard.
I wonder if this wont have a negative effect on cooling, Ti isnt all that heat conductive as it is...

I keep mine bare, i dont mind some patina/schmutzing.

I like the openbacked case, also for cooling...

Jan 19, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #1,709 of 3,413
I wonder if this wont have a negative effect on cooling, Ti isnt all that heat conductive as it is...

I keep mine bare, i dont mind some patina/schmutzing.

I like the openbacked case, also for cooling...
Agreed! Also for those of us who have the dock, the plastic protector would interfere with the magnets and cooling a bit.

I just end up not touching the back when I’m handling it haha.

Jan 19, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #1,710 of 3,413
Agreed! Also for those of us who have the dock, the plastic protector would interfere with the magnets and cooling a bit.

I just end up not touching the back when I’m handling it haha.
How does the RS8 drive your stealth? Is it a lot weaker on the bass compared to the caldera?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back