HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Nov 15, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #3,017 of 3,440
Ah yes, these are two different approaches to using the convolver. The first one is a synthetic filter that follows a simplified head model in free field (no room effect) whereas the other is a full room simulation based on measurements. Certainly the first one is more appealing to those following a "purist" approach, as it offers very little modification to the existing frequency and phase responses. The second one, while it has also been calibrated to an overall flat frequency response statistically speaking, has an undeniable room effect (as per design) for which your mileage may vary in terms of how you like it.

I am actually planning a new measurement for the latter approach with some changes to the technique that may yield a "cleaner" sound. Watch this space...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 15, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #3,018 of 3,440
Ah yes, these are two different approaches to using the convolver. The first one is a synthetic filter that follows a simplified head model in free field (no room effect) whereas the other is a full room simulation based on measurements. Certainly the first one is more appealing to those following a "purist" approach, as it offers very little modification to the existing frequency and phase responses. The second one, while it has also been calibrated to an overall flat frequency response statistically speaking, has an undeniable room effect (as per design) for which your mileage may vary in terms of how you like it.

I am actually planning a new measurement for the latter approach with some changes to the technique that may yield a "cleaner" sound. Watch this space...

So in these terms I think I’m looking for a something that would result in melodies (not bass) passing through me and maybe one or two reflections

Any idea how it can be achieved? Can it be achieved? -)

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #3,019 of 3,440
So in these terms I think I’m looking for a something that would result in melodies (not bass) passing through me and maybe one or two reflections

Any idea how it can be achieved? Can it be achieved? -)
The crossfeed effect is actually more at bass frequencies, as the head shadows that way less than high frequencies. This (and the separation of bass frequencies by the earphones without the program) is a major factor in you perceiving the music to be around you with it vs on your ears without.

It sounds like you are after a more authentic room simulation than the synthetic crossfeed but one that produces much fewer reflections. Let me see what I can do later.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #3,020 of 3,440
The crossfeed effect is actually more at bass frequencies, as the head shadows that way less than high frequencies. This (and the separation of bass frequencies by the earphones without the program) is a major factor in you perceiving the music to be around you with it vs on your ears without.

It sounds like you are after a more authentic room simulation than the synthetic crossfeed but one that produces much fewer reflections. Let me see what I can do later.

One more question out of curiosity/ lack of knowledge

How do you do room measurements? Through simulating a head? If so, how many microphones?

I’m guessing the effect I’m after could require multiple microphones around the head to be able to do the sounds passing through. That would be my amateur guess though -)

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #3,021 of 3,440
Hello!
Has anyone used the RS8 with a Centrance Ampersand portable amp? When using a balanced line output, my RS8 overloads the amplifier and causes distortion. The output voltage of the balanced line output in the RS8 specification corresponds to the maximum Centrance Ampersand input voltage. When I used the iBasso DX220 Max I didn't have this problem.

Nov 17, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #3,022 of 3,440
Just got a new Firmware!

(Maybe old news… )

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #3,023 of 3,440
I've been loving the RS8 and CFA Bonneville today. RS8 has really grown on me. It's not quite as dynamic as the L&P LP6 but it's technically excellent and super refined, transparent, clear and above all effortless in its presentation. Instruments and vocals are natural & authoritative with just a touch of added wetness Signature is arguably more balanced overall than LP6, which I found to be tilted ever so slightly upward. Staging is cavernous and deep and outside my head. Sonically it blows my SR35 out of the water, but I would hope so given the trade off in size & portablity. R2R has this thing where the longer you listen the better it sounds and as this afternoon has progressed I've just become more and more intoxicated with the sound of the RS8. I'm a fan. I'll be doing a deep dive into this player in the coming weeks.

317E3693-02E5-44B6-A34F-128283BD4049.JPEG

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #3,025 of 3,440
I've been loving the RS8 and CFA Bonneville today. RS8 has really grown on me. It's not quite as dynamic as the L&P LP6 but it's technically excellent and super refined, transparent, clear and above all effortless in its presentation. Instruments and vocals are natural & authoritative with just a touch of added wetness Signature is arguably more balanced overall than LP6, which I found to be tilted ever so slightly upward. Staging is cavernous and deep and outside my head. Sonically it blows my SR35 out of the water, but I would hope so given the trade off in size & portablity. R2R has this thing where the longer you listen the better it sounds and as this afternoon has progressed I've just become more and more intoxicated with the sound of the RS8. I'm a fan. I'll be doing a deep dive into this player in the coming weeks.

317E3693-02E5-44B6-A34F-128283BD4049.JPEG
If you haven't already played with them, the filters, plug-ins and MSEB settings will offer weeks of fun. Seriously it's like having eight DAPs in one...

Nov 19, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #3,026 of 3,440
Has anyone else noticed slow battery drain when their RS8 is turned off? On the order of 2-3% in a day. I started noticing it after the recent firmware update, but it could have existed before then and I just didn't notice it. Curious if anyone else sees this, or if it's a sign of a defect in my unit.

Nov 19, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #3,027 of 3,440
Well the fun continues, I'm now getting a popping sound when I change bit rates and when I pause/stop playback. I factory reset today and afterwards this started happening. Is this the recent firmware? Or just a coincidence and I have a unit that is starting to fail? 😕

Nov 20, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #3,028 of 3,440
Well the fun continues, I'm now getting a popping sound when I change bit rates and when I pause/stop playback. I factory reset today and afterwards this started happening. Is this the recent firmware? Or just a coincidence and I have a unit that is starting to fail? 😕
I also noticed the intermittent and "popping" sound on my DAP when I started playing some Tidal songs, but didn't pay attention to their bitrate. I don't remember if I noticed it on the latest firmware..... After a couple seconds of playback, everything was back to normal.

Nov 20, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #3,029 of 3,440
is this the thing where it pops half a minute after all sounds have stopped?

Nov 20, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #3,030 of 3,440

Users who are viewing this thread

• haci
Back