HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Jun 8, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #2,311 of 3,437
@Joe Bloggs, I wanted to thank you and the HiBy folks for the excellent work you all are doing to keep the RS8 as a flagship DAP. It isn't often you see DAP makers add new features and functionality to a already released product. I am choosing the RS8 to be my go-to portable music source because of HiBy's effort to make it even more useful.
Please thank everyone for me. Now I have a few DAPs to put up for sale...:wink:
Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Jun 8, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #2,314 of 3,437
@Joe Bloggs, I wanted to thank you and the HiBy folks for the excellent work you all are doing to keep the RS8 as a flagship DAP. It isn't often you see DAP makers add new features and functionality to a already released product. I am choosing the RS8 to be my go-to portable music source because of HiBy's effort to make it even more useful.
-HK sends
I agree - sound quality, features, battery life. Best DAP I have ever owned or tried. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #2,315 of 3,437
By which I mean download tracks/releases for listening off-line
I have tried it with the below playlist and others but getting the error (at the bottom).

Attachments

• IMG_5356.jpg
    IMG_5356.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5357.jpg
    IMG_5357.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 0
Jun 8, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #2,316 of 3,437
I have tried it with the below playlist and others but getting the error (at the bottom).
Strange it works for me. But I don't deal with playlists. Have you tried importing a track or an album?

Jun 8, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #2,317 of 3,437
yes
Strange it works for me. But I don't deal with playlists. Have you tried importing a track or an album?
that works. but I'm very much playlists. have hundreds. all the CD's I converted into AAC became playlists which then I synced into tidal, amazon etc

Jun 8, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #2,318 of 3,437
I believe you're right as you're not the first to report this. Reported to headquarters.

Update: we haven't been able to test and implement a hi-res client so far because literally nobody at headquarters could pay for an account. No, not because we're that poor, because Qobuz wasn't operating in China and so wouldn't take money from a Chinese account. Well, I can fix that :)
Thanks for taking care of that.

After implementing Qobuz hi-res, the next thing I would prefer to have is the HiByLink working with Qobuz.

I am still looking for a very stable solution for having the RS8 in my pocket and remote controlling it (mainly playing from Qobuz) by android or apple phone.

Currently using UAPP UPnP renderer on RS8 and mconnect on iPhone or BubbleUpNP on android phone.

HiByCast has the disadvantage that the screen has to be always on on RS8.

Jun 8, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #2,319 of 3,437
Excuse me--is that the actual Qobuz app rather than the HiByMusic Qobuz extension? Where you're getting this error?

If so, that looks to be something you need to talk to Qobuz about. I can investigate, if it's something like storing the files to the wrong drive (usually the complaint is that it goes to internal only for some apps), but if Qobuz's Qobuz app is failing to recognize your credentials, that's something for Qobuz to sort out 🫣

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 8, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #2,320 of 3,437
-HK sends
Thank you for your kind words, I've let the team know :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 8, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #2,321 of 3,437
Do you notice any pattern to when this may happen?
Well, the issue is random but occurs mainly when it switches from a "normal" quality song to a "Master" sampled one.
If you can call it a pattern, it's somehow like:
whenever a "Master" song starts, the info bar at the upper part of the RS8 screen shows 44.1K, followed by a short break (during which RS8 probably scans the song and detects the need to switch/process at a higher rate) and switching the replay mode (to 705.6K or 768K). Then the song is either played as expected or played but without producing any audio output.

That's somehow annoying (i.e. if you don't get any replay anymore) but more annoying is the fact of either:
"Master" quality song is immediately recognized and info bar at the upper part of the RS8 screen shows 705.6K but the audio contains short noises (similar to the noise caused by dust particles during a vinyl playback)
or
Song starts with and keeps totally messed up replay/audio.

It seems that all of this only occurs with "Master" quality songs and RS8 MQA decoding enabled. Since I mainly use the Tidal standalone app I can't tell if all issues occur as often in HibyMusic Tidal too. Until now I never had the "totally messed up audio" in HibyMusic Tidal - but I definitely had the "the replay without sound" in HibyMusic Tidal.

Like I said, because of many reasons I prefer the standalone app - as it does come with multiple benefits like a better UI (i.e. more intuitive UI layout, search function that actually supports suggestions, general Tidal player functionality), ability to use offline replay, etc.

Does it help if I connect the RS8 to an external speaker, make a video (with the issues) and provide it to you?

Edit: Meanwhile I have the 2 main problem situations, i.e. short noises and no-audio, captured on video. Sent you the link via PM.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #2,322 of 3,437
It is the actual Qobuz app. After an app reboot this began to work. I noticed that going into the playlist and hitting download led to it giving the subscriber error 50% of the time. I thought this may be due to duplicate playlists but that didn't have an impact. However if in the playlist selection window (not within the playlist where one sees the songs) and I click the 3 dots and then select 'import in quality' and then 'ok' it begins with 'import playlist has started'. The size of the playlist does not have an impact either as I have been able to import playlists with over 200 songs.
*This option does not always work and sometimes I get the same error* I have also checked to see whether songs 'not available' makes a difference but it does not.

To check the UI of the HiByMusic Qobuz extension I went back into this app. I rebooted the app. I was met with a login screen. It already had my details so I only had to click on authorise application. It stated that it has logged in. However nothing happened to illustrate it had logged in and the option for 'log in' was still there. A reboot of the RS8 sorted this out.

Jun 10, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #2,323 of 3,437
I have a black dragon cable from the Stellia ending in 2.5mm. I want to connect it to the RS8. Can I do this using an adaptor and not cause any issues?
if yes, any suggestions on which?

Jun 10, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #2,324 of 3,437

Users who are viewing this thread

Back