HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Jan 3, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #1,621 of 3,403
Well after my demo, I thought the RS8 was awesome. If anyone is looking to part with theirs, please PM me with your asking price :relaxed:!

Jan 6, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #1,622 of 3,403
Does Amazon Music work on RS8?

Jan 6, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #1,623 of 3,403
Does Amazon Music work on RS8?

It used to, but after the last RS8 fw and amazon music app updates, not anymore. Hopefully, Hiby will fix it in the next fw update.

Jan 8, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #1,625 of 3,403
It used to, but after the last RS8 fw and amazon music app updates, not anymore. Hopefully, Hiby will fix it in the next fw update.
Thanks. Looks like I have to wait until it is fixed.

Jan 11, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #1,626 of 3,403
RS8 System Update version 1.10_20230107-1114 available over air.

3B49A789-35BD-466A-A1F7-65B1648A79A0.jpeg

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #1,629 of 3,403
Yeah that tends to be rare amount the high end DAP's. The only ones I've come across are the Ibasso Max's. Both the 200 and 300 have it that way. Sadly both were limited editions
Ports and volume knob are at the same side with the MAX actually. An example of plug downstairs/volume knob upstairs is the N8ii.

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #1,630 of 3,403
I suddenly don't have Google play store anymore and can't install any apps. Anyone else notice this?

Updated to latest firmware and no issues with Google Play store or ability to install apps. Check Settings > Apps and see if Google Play store is enabled.

Only bug I've encountered is signing into Chrome with my Google account despite already being signed in Google account in Settings - minor issue but I don't surf on the RS8, LOL but it's nice to have quick access to Head-Fi.

Jan 12, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #1,631 of 3,403
Well, my company issued a "Return to Office" mandate, which has cut into the time I have to swing by and share. If there's a silver lining, it's that the dock is coming in handy for cube life....

20230105_100612.jpg

20230105_100713.jpg

I need to figure out if there's something to be done with the screen rotation, but I got good mileage out of picking playlists and letting stuff run. It was fun to break out Pendant and VC again--RS8 is nice as a head end for these.

Grateful again to Hiby and MusicTeck for the CR08 promo. I also appreciate that the dock outputs both XLR and RCA. I may end up resurrecting my old desk setup of Violectric V280 chained to Pendant, since V280 has jumpers to convert XLR in to RCA out. Than again, I'm stuck with closed backs in the office, so options are limited.

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #1,632 of 3,403
Thanks, I considered it as an option but few things turned me off from it:
1. Narrower soundstage compared to N8ii and SP3K
2. Technicalities not even on par with SP2K, especially in terms of imaging
3. Amount of defects and bricked units -....
1- It doesn't have narrower soundstage. That is a misconception of either settings or tonality. Soundstage just as wide as n8ii, just different at upper range elevation. I did confirm this:
Screenshot_20230112_032331_Gallery.jpg

2- It does very easily have the superior imaging and technicalities as any other. The difference here was that the RS8 was not as illuminated at upper spectrum as the N8ii.

The "natural sounding" beauty of the RS8, had the ability to convince me, "how" other DAPs (like n8ii) swayed from neutrality... No matter how refined and reference I do hear them to be.

To my ears, the RS8 just sounded more natural. Although I feel the other DAP (n8ii) was very impressive, sounding beautiful, reference, and at a top level, I was just not able to get away from the RS8 sound. It simply portrayed the same level of images, detail, and space, but more natural. It also had a superiority of R2R sound, that I didn't remember as captivating, when I tried the P6 in past.

3- Any and all companies will have a certain small percentage of sporadic defects, to which would be covered under warranty, so it shouldn't be a "fear factor" issue. Same type of early fears happened in n8ii thread. I haven't read up the whole thread here yet, to see anything.

Personally I still like the N8ii and am torn but cant have them both. I prefer them easily over all past daps I tried.

Also, after listening for myself, I cannot agree with any reviews that wouldn't place this unit at the top. To me, it IS at the very top. I do not hear anything in deficiencies. In fact, it has the most convincing sound to me...

So the worst issue with this DAP, is that once you hear it, you will need to have it.
Like a junkie, you will sell off, and do whatever you have to do, to own this thing.

Than again, I'm stuck with closed backs in the office, so options are limited.
How lucky are you to have space for that at your job!
I believe the RS8 can handle that closed headphone without the nice tube amp!

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #1,633 of 3,403
Well, my company issued a "Return to Office" mandate, which has cut into the time I have to swing by and share. If there's a silver lining, it's that the dock is coming in handy for cube life....

20230105_100612.jpg

20230105_100713.jpg

I need to figure out if there's something to be done with the screen rotation, but I got good mileage out of picking playlists and letting stuff run. It was fun to break out Pendant and VC again--RS8 is nice as a head end for these.

Grateful again to Hiby and MusicTeck for the CR08 promo. I also appreciate that the dock outputs both XLR and RCA. I may end up resurrecting my old desk setup of Violectric V280 chained to Pendant, since V280 has jumpers to convert XLR in to RCA out. Than again, I'm stuck with closed backs in the office, so options are limited.

You keep this in your office cubicle? I hope you can lock your door every night before you go home :D

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #1,634 of 3,403
Does the new firmware fix Amazon Music problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back