HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Jan 1, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #1,606 of 3,413
I had the same problem, my solution was format the sd card using RS8. Then copy all my folder inside the "music" folder which appeared after the formatting.

Thanks @KupingManja ,@gLer & @111MilesToGo ! That was the issue. I followed KupingManja's solution and I'm able to use my SD card on both the N8II and RS8.

Now onto demoing the device :relaxed:!

Jan 1, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #1,607 of 3,413
Jan 1, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #1,608 of 3,413
totally agree. many said rs8 treble is not as sparkle as n8ii. actually it is not true. in the opposite, rs8 treble is clearer than n8ii. rs8 is true resolution. for n8ii, cayin knows its resolution is not up there so they tune up the treble and make it sounds higher resolution. this works if paired with low class iems or headphones with higher loss in treble. but you can tell what really happens and the potential of rs8 if you use high quality low signal loss iems/headphones
I can't speak for the n8II but the RS8 treble sounds much better than I remember the R8 sounding. Plus the deep black noise floor on the RS8 shames the R8 (audible noise floor was one reason I sold the R8).
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #1,609 of 3,413
What is the hand ergonomics like of the RS8 compared to other daps? I have the R6 and while it is smaller than the Sony wma1m2, The latter feels more ergonomic in hand. Part of that I think is the distribution of output ports at the top rather than the bottom. I also tend to find the buttons on the Sony more desirable than the rotary from a purely used standpoint. The rotary is definitely much more aesthetic and eye-catching
Despite the weight and slickness of the case, I think the ergonomics of the RS8 is much better than the iBasso DX300 and DX320. Every time I reach to pick up one of those DAPs, I end up pressing a control button. The clear TPU case helped but didn't totally fix the problem of hitting Next Track or Play/Pause when picking it up.

The RS8's buttons are higher up the chassis (thanks to the Volume knob being moved to the top) and easier to miss.
Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #1,610 of 3,413
Hey all, I posted this in the R8 thread but I know that one doesn’t get as much traffic anymore.

Has anyone had their back cover of their r8 pop? I was about to buy one and the seller cancelled saying when he charged the unit and a muller (apparently the battery swelled up) and the back of the unit popped off a bit. Was just curious if others have had this issue and if it men’s the hiby is basically ruined. He offered to sell it to me very cheap but I’m obviously leery.
This is unfortunately not as uncommon an occurrence as one would hope in Hiby daps though seemingly more prone to their lower tier daps

Jan 1, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #1,611 of 3,413
There's a guy on Etsy that does some beautiful hand-made cases. I have some of his other DAP cases. I'm just waiting for him to release a RS8 case. https://www.etsy.com/shop/VALENTINUM?ref=usf_2020
-HK sends
I had a Valentinum case made for my Ibasso 300MAX. He did an amazing job- super high quality. Totally recommend him. Plus you can feel good about supporting a small business struggling to survive in Kiev, Ukraine.

Jan 1, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #1,612 of 3,413
I had a Valentinum case made for my Ibasso 300MAX. He did an amazing job- super high quality. Totally recommend him. Plus you can feel good about supporting a small business struggling to survive in Kiev, Ukraine.
I have several cases from him for different DAPs and I've always been impressed. He's definitely worth supporting.
-HK sends

Jan 2, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #1,613 of 3,413
totally agree. many said rs8 treble is not as sparkle as n8ii. actually it is not true. in the opposite, rs8 treble is clearer than n8ii. rs8 is true resolution. for n8ii, cayin knows its resolution is not up there so they tune up the treble and make it sounds higher resolution. this works if paired with low class iems or headphones with higher loss in treble. but you can tell what really happens and the potential of rs8 if you use high quality low signal loss iems/headphones
Which IEMs/HPs do you use yourself? Thanks.

Jan 3, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #1,616 of 3,413
Regarding the issue of DSD filter noise, I can confirm that optimal results are to be expected from the default DSD mode.
This puts DSD playback at lower volumes than most PCM sources. This should be compensated for using the DSD gain compensation slider, which however
-only has effect on onboard headphone out, or anything connected to that (e.g. amps etc. connected via headphone out instead of line out). No effect on line out or digital output (digital output shouldn't be affected by this issue anyway)
-loses effect if your headphone out is at / near maximum volume, as the way it works is to automatically up the volume of the unit when DSD is playing.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 3, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #1,617 of 3,413
Regarding the issue of DSD filter noise, I can confirm that optimal results are to be expected from the default DSD mode.
This puts DSD playback at lower volumes than most PCM sources. This should be compensated for using the DSD gain compensation slider, which however
-only has effect on onboard headphone out, or anything connected to that (e.g. amps etc. connected via headphone out instead of line out). No effect on line out or digital output (digital output shouldn't be affected by this issue anyway)
-loses effect if your headphone out is at / near maximum volume, as the way it works is to automatically up the volume of the unit when DSD is playing.
Thanks for your official comment. Please let me understand correctly:
  • ”… optimal results …“ means ”as good as it gets now“. Thus it is possible that the filter noise is audible under certain conditions like quiet passages e.g. in classical music, as was reported for this and older HiBy DAPs.
  • As this DSD noise is conceded as being due to a digital filter, it might be possible to improve the situation in a future firmware update.
Please correct if anything here is wrong. Thank you!

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #1,618 of 3,413
Anyone had similar issue?

When RS8 is connected to computer as an external DAC all 16/44.1 files play like twice the speed with a short breaks.
Remaining high resolution files play normal as it should be.

16/44.1 files stored on RS8 plays OK.

I use Audirvana Origin on Mac (this could be related as well).

Do you know why is that?

Edit:
It tuned out that Audirvana Integer Mode option was the culprit. When Integer Mode has been switched off - everything is fine.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #1,619 of 3,413
Thanks for your official comment. Please let me understand correctly:
  • ”… optimal results …“ means ”as good as it gets now“. Thus it is possible that the filter noise is audible under certain conditions like quiet passages e.g. in classical music, as was reported for this and older HiBy DAPs.
  • As this DSD noise is conceded as being due to a digital filter, it might be possible to improve the situation in a future firmware update.
Please correct if anything here is wrong. Thank you!
You should find that the noise reported are with the "DSD filter 1" rather than the default DSD filter. The complaint with the default DSD filter is not noise but rather that the output is too quiet (and cannot be turned up in the situations outlined above)

You will also note from Nori-san's review that Nori-san has put DSD gain compensation up to +3dB only (since he thought that's what it's for, to compensate for the 3dB padding of some early SACD files--that's not what's it's for), while from the screenshots you can see that gain compensation up to something like +12dB is actually possible and should well compensate for the issue, provided that you are using headphone out.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 3, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #1,620 of 3,413
You should find that the noise reported are with the "DSD filter 1" rather than the default DSD filter. The complaint with the default DSD filter is not noise but rather that the output is too quiet (and cannot be turned up in the situations outlined above)

You will also note from Nori-san's review that Nori-san has put DSD gain compensation up to +3dB only (since he thought that's what it's for, to compensate for the 3dB padding of some early SACD files--that's not what's it's for), while from the screenshots you can see that gain compensation up to something like +12dB is actually possible and should well compensate for the issue, provided that you are using headphone out.
Thanks! I do not - yet! - own an RS8, but am interested in the sound character of R2R. And DSD matters to me as a foremost classical and jazz lover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back