HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Dec 30, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #1,591 of 3,413
Currently Yes. But, I might keep n8ii, if went back then. Hah~ N8ii is the most balanced one.
The SP3000 is the most beautiful one though, IMO. RS8 is the most special one.
There are several DAPs coming 2023, including LP E7, and Cayin's rumor. So, just get ready for next update.
I just sold sp3k for rs8 haha. But Sp3k is beautiful one!

Dec 30, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #1,592 of 3,413
Temporarily swapped in a burn in dongle... 142 to 192 more hours to go, LOL. Still blissfully enamored.

IMG_0309.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #1,593 of 3,413
Dec 30, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #1,594 of 3,413
Nice pic! What is burn in dongle?!?

Burn-in cable/dongle provides a load and is used to help form the capacitors and condition the rest of the circuitry or you can use your IEMs or headphones. I have a couple of these from my iBasso DAPs (DX300, 3MAX).

IMG_0311.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #1,595 of 3,413
What is the hand ergonomics like of the RS8 compared to other daps? I have the R6 and while it is smaller than the Sony wma1m2, The latter feels more ergonomic in hand. Part of that I think is the distribution of output ports at the top rather than the bottom. I also tend to find the buttons on the Sony more desirable than the rotary from a purely used standpoint. The rotary is definitely much more aesthetic and eye-catching

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #1,596 of 3,413
What is the hand ergonomics like of the RS8 compared to other daps? I have the R6 and while it is smaller than the Sony wma1m2, The latter feels more ergonomic in hand. Part of that I think is the distribution of output ports at the top rather than the bottom. I also tend to find the buttons on the Sony more desirable than the rotary from a purely used standpoint. The rotary is definitely much more aesthetic and eye-catching
For me a desktop DAP should have connections on the bottom and volume on the side or top. If it’s portable and meant to go in the pocket, then it all should be on the top. It’s not a deal breaker, but I do factor it in.

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #1,597 of 3,413
For me a desktop DAP should have connections on the bottom and volume on the side or top. If it’s portable and meant to go in the pocket, then it all should be on the top. It’s not a deal breaker, but I do factor it in.
Interesting, I don't think anyone really does that for the major DAPs?

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #1,598 of 3,413
I spent another 2-hour quality session with RS8, and I managed to walk away from it despite wanting to own it. The comparison below is based on doing a direct comparison between LP6 Gold, P6 Pro Grey, WM1AM2, 1ZM2 and RS6. IEM: Dita PPT, IER-Z1R, Simphonio VR1.
Here is why for now, I didn't buy RS8

• RS8 certainly has a tonality of its own: and it can add warmth and, at the same time, stretch the recording dimension.
    • At first, this added soundstage grabbed my attention, but then it started doing the recording, which I know does not have such a stage.
    • RS8 low end is true class-leading, pairing it with PPT; the experience was unreal. This combo is what I would consider perfection, and if I were ever to buy the RS8, it would be because of how good it paired with PPT.
      • I felt like I was listening to a headphone, with pinpoint accuracy.
  • RS8 vs RS6: When it came to soundstage accuracy, RS6 remained more faithful to the recording, and it was as resolving as RS8, but where it lost is the warmth of RS6, makes it harder to appreciate it compared to less warmer DAP immediately.
  • RS8 vs LP6 Gold: LP6 Gold came across as more resolving and more neutral sounding of the two. But this is at the expense of sounding more fatiguing, lack of gapless and all the fun stuff RS8 has to offer. While I might give the slight edge to LP6 Gold, RS8 is no doubt the better buy, and it just makes no sense to buy Lp6 Gold in such an age unless you love your music collection and are happy with them for the rest of your life.
  • RS8 vs WM1ZM2: Sony knows how to tune DAP, and I heard it when comparing RS8 against ZM2. With ZM2, nothing sounded forced. It had warmth, but the right amount of detail was there but it wasn't nuanced and, as a result, fatiguing like LP6 Gold, it has soundstage that showed itself only when the music calls for it..
    • But it is darn slow, has poor UI, navigating through 512 GB of the file was not fun, and streaming, sure it offers it, but the slow UI made it unbearable to use.
  • RS8 vs P6 Pro:If I were to do a blind audition, not knowing about the brand, I would have guessed P6 Pro Grey and the same person tuned RS8. Sonically this two had more in common than RS8 did with RS6.
    • If you love the sound of P6 Pro but want more from it, I believe RS8 is a natural upgrade.
  • Conclusion:
    • RS6 won the form, and I dare say one would be better off buying RS6 and using the spare change left over to find something that pairs to their liking with RS6.
    • RS8 alone will not make your IEM sound better, and once again, synergy is the key.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #1,599 of 3,413
I'm demoing an RS8 from MusicTeck. I will reach out to Andrew on this one, but does anyone know why the RS8 wouldn't find folders on my SD drive (Micron 1 TB card) that have music in them that my N8II can find and I see in Windows?

The SD card on the RS8 looks like it only has the default Android folders from formatting, very different than what I see on the N8II.

Dec 31, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #1,600 of 3,413
I'm demoing an RS8 from MusicTeck. I will reach out to Andrew on this one, but does anyone know why the RS8 wouldn't find folders on my SD drive (Micron 1 TB card) that have music in them that my N8II can find and I see in Windows?

The SD card on the RS8 looks like it only has the default Android folders from formatting, very different than what I see on the N8II.
I think it has something to do with Android 12 permissions.

Dec 31, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #1,601 of 3,413

I think it has something to do with Android 12 permissions.
Yes, I think so, too: Your issue is probably due to permission changes introduced by Google with Android 11 and thus also 12. I cannot tell you the exact solution, but you might want to search this thread or the iBasso DX320 one. (Sort of luckily, the N8ii still has Android 9.)

Also: I think Neutron Player has a recipe on its forum, and UAPP might have one, too. That said, I am not sure about a ”global“ recipe for any app.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #1,602 of 3,413

I had the same problem, my solution was format the sd card using RS8. Then copy all my folder inside the "music" folder which appeared after the formatting.

Dec 31, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #1,603 of 3,413
I apologize for the delay in posting my RS8 impressions (but hopefully still qualifying for the kind CR08 offer), health issues have kept me from setting aside a lot of time for music listening. I will say upfront that I do not believe my RS8 is fully “burned-in” or the R2R fully stabilized at this point, but I am happy to share what I’ve heard so far.

While many RS8 owners and listeners think this is going to be just another gush-fest, let me start things off by listing some things I don’t like about the RS8 (“Heresy!”).:wink:

HiBy RS8 is not your run-of-the-mill high-end DAP. Unlike most DAPs using name brand Digital Audio Converter (DAC) chips, the RS8’s R2R DAC uses a number of resistors for each audio channel, controlled by a Digital Signal Processor (DSP) converting your digital music into analog form for the amplifier.

The problem with this architecture is it takes time…a lot of time…for those resisters and electronic components to stabilize. A lot of owners may be put off by how much the sound can change over many hours of operation. They may also not like it that when they first start to listen to a music session, the sound isn’t at its full quality. I’m not sure but I believe to get the best sonic experience the player needs to warm-up maybe 15-20 minutes before the sound starts to open up and the RS8…Ahem…sound its best.

Bottom Line: This is not a DAP for impatient people.

Next, this DAP is heavy! We’re talking boat-anchor heavy! We’re talking use it as self-defense weapon heavy! I can’t see a thief actually succeeding in grabbing it. While it doesn’t look overly big, that battery inside and the chassis makes it feel like a brick. You could use it as a short range throwing weapon!

Bottom Line: It is very heavy for its size so be careful picking it up or it could slip out of your hands (yes, I almost dropped mine) and the case doesn’t help for gripping.

Ahh, the case! So far, all the portable audio equipment cases that I’ve had offer at least some protection for the component inside. However this case concerns me. The RS8 is a Beautiful DAP and I’m sure HiBy wanted to show off all the lovely finish, but having that backplate open to empty space hikes up the “pucker factor” when carrying the RS8 around. The R8 (which I had) at least had a vented backplate that offered some protection. I put the extra screen protector sheet on the RS8 backplate but it really doesn’t offer much in the way of protection…and it’s a bear to get the air bubbles out with the textured finish.

Bottom Line: The case doesn’t really protect the RS8 that well…but it does look Nice!

...okay, that was all meant to be rather tongue-in-cheek nit-picking about the RS8 (and its case), although I do feel the issues listed are legitimate considerations/concerns.

Well, now I guess it’s time to gush! 😉

I was introduced to R2R DAC technology when I got a Audio-gd R-8 Mk2. I read in advance about extended burn-in to stabilize the components so I left it alone playing for two weeks and yes, I could definitely hear a marked improvement in sound. I also noticed that if I listened to music immediately after turning on the DAC, it took a bit of time for the sound to open up. So I learned to be patient when listening to R2R DACs to ensure the best sound quality.

The RS8 is no different. I usually listen to music right after power-up and it takes time to reach its optimum sound. When it finally opens up…D...A...M...N!...it sounds incredible! Coming from an iBasso DX300 with the Amp13EXN Mod and also a DX320 with Amp12EXN-S, I’m not unaccustomed to audiophile-level music quality. The Amp13 offers some tubey goodness and Amp12 offers power, soundstage, and articulation. I’ve found the RS8’s sound signature to have most of these same elements. While it isn’t advertised as having the most powerful output, I can still listen to all my full-size over-ear headphones to include my Meze Elite, Grado GS3000x, ZMF Verite Closed, and even Audeze LCD-5 at higher than acceptable levels...and enjoying the music

I find the sound quality to be warm, detailed, and holographic. I can easily focus on any instrument and its position. I also can hear a lot more instrument dynamics like a Cello’s string vibration and resonance from the wooden sound chamber. To me, it’s the most analog instrument sound and voicing that I have ever heard from a portable device. I can easily see why some music enthusiasts would be willing to make this their desktop source. The sound quality goes a long way to represent the output of a full-size audio system.

I didn’t list price as a nit-pick because to my ears, the RS8 is definitely worth the investment. I still have the two iBasso DAPs and their modded amp cards but since I started listening to the RS8, I have no desire to go back to either DAP. The RS8 has all the sound qualities that I like for enjoyable music.

Lastly, the battery life for simple on-device music playing is outstanding. I haven’t explored any Darwin or EQ settings or tried any streaming…yet. But I have been able to enjoy multiple extended listening sessions on a single battery charge.

There is a lot more to explore in the RS8. Although I was up and listening to music in a short time, there are literally hours of experimenting and exploring the capabilities of this DAP. But that’s for another post, because it’s time to plug in my ZMF Verite Closed (to block out the fireworks) and lose myself in my music…

As usual, these impressions are IMHO…YMMV.

Cheers and Happy New Year!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #1,604 of 3,413
I apologize for the delay in posting my RS8 impressions (and hopefully still qualifying for the kind CR08 offer), but health issues have kept me from setting aside a lot of time for music listening. I will say upfront that I do not believe my RS8 is fully “burned-in” or the R2R fully stabilized at this point, but I am happy to share what I’ve heard so far.

While many RS8 owners and listeners think this is going to be just another gush-fest, let me start things off by listing the things I don’t like about the RS8 (“Heresy!”).:wink:

HiBy RS8 is not your run-of-the-mill high-end DAP. Unlike most DAPs using name brand Digital Audio Converter (DAC) chips, the RS8’s R2R DAC uses a number of resistors for each audio channel, controlled by a Digital Signal Processor (DSP) converting your digital music into analog form for the amplifier.

The problem with this is it takes time…a lot of time…for those resisters and electronic components to stabilize. A lot of owners may be put off by how much the sound can change over many hours of operation. They may also not like it that when you first start to listen to a music session, the sound isn’t at its full quality. I’m not sure but I believe to get the best sonic experience you need to let the player warm-up maybe 15-20 minutes before the sound starts to open up and the RS8…Ahem…sound its best.

Bottom Line: This is not a DAP for impatient people.

Next, this DAP is heavy! We’re talking boat-anchor heavy! We’re talking use it as self-defense weapon heavy! I can’t see a thief actually succeeding in grabbing it. While it doesn’t look overly big, that battery inside and the chassis makes it feel like a brick. You could use it as a short range throwing weapon!

Bottom Line: It is very heavy for its size so be careful picking it up or it could slip out of your hands (yes, I almost dropped mine) and the case doesn’t help for gripping.

Ahh, the case! So far, all the portable audio equipment cases that I’ve had offer at least some protection for the component inside. But this case concerns me. The RS8 is a Beautiful DAP and I’m sure HiBy wanted to show off the lovely finish, but having that backplate open to empty space hikes up the “pucker factor” when carrying the RS8 around. The R8 (which I had) at least had a vented backplate that offered some protection. I put the extra screen protector sheet on the RS8 backplate but it really doesn’t offer much in the way of protection…and it’s a bear to get the air bubbles out with the textured finish.

Bottom Line: The case doesn’t really protect the RS8 that well…but it does look Nice!

Okay, the above was meant to be rather tongue-in-cheek nit-picking about the RS8 (and its case) although I feel the things listed are legitimate considerations.

Well, now I guess it’s time to gush! 😉

I was introduced to an R2R DAC when I got a Audio-gd R-8 Mk2. I read in advance about extended burn-in order to stabilize the components so I left it playing for two weeks and yes, I could definitely hear a marked improvement in sound. I also noticed that if I listened to music immediately after turning on the DAC, it took a bit of time for the sound to open up. So I learned to be patient when listening to R2R DACs to ensure the best sound quality.

The RS8 is no different. I usually listen to music right after power-up and it takes time to reach its optimum sound. When it finally opens up…D*MN!...it sounds incredible! Coming from an iBasso DX300 with the Amp13EXN Mod and also a DX320 with Amp12EXN-S, I’m not unaccustomed to audiophile-level music quality. The Amp13 has the tubey goodness and Amp12 has power, soundstage, and articulation. I’ve found the RS8’s sound signature to have most of those same elements. While it isn’t advertised as having the most powerful output, I can still listen to all my full-size over-ear headphones to include my Meze Elite, Grado GS3000x, ZMF Verite Closed, and even Audeze LCD-5 at more than acceptable levels.

I find the sound quality to be warm, detailed, and holographic. I can easily focus on any instrument and its position. I also can hear a lot more instrument dynamics like a Cello’s string vibration and resonance from the wooden sound chamber. To me, it’s the most analog instrument sound and voicing that I have ever heard from a portable device. I can easily see why some music enthusiasts would be willing to make this their desktop source. The sound quality goes a long way to represent the output of a full-size audio system.

I didn’t list price as a nit-pick because to my ears, the RS8 is definitely worth the investment. I still have the two iBasso DAPs and their modded amp cards but since I started listening to the RS8, I have no desire to go back to either DAP. The RS8 has all the sound qualities that I like for enjoyable music.

Lastly, the battery life for simple on-device music playing is excellent. I haven’t explored any Darwin or EQ settings or any streaming…yet. But I have enjoyed several extended listening sessions on a single battery charge.

There is a lot more to explore in the RS8. Although I was up and listening to music in a short time, there are literally hours of experimenting and exploring the capabilities this DAP. But that’s for another post, because it’s time to plug in my ZMF Verite Closed (to block out the fireworks) and lose myself in my music…

As usual, these impressions are IMHO…YMMV.

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Pictures to follow soon...
Thank you for your impressions! Wonder if we can find alternative case to protect Rs8.

Jan 1, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #1,605 of 3,413
I can easily focus on any instrument and its position. I also can hear a lot more instrument dynamics like a Cello’s string vibration and resonance from the wooden sound chamber. To me, it’s the most analog instrument sound and voicing that I have ever heard from a portable device.
totally agree. many said rs8 treble is not as sparkle as n8ii. actually it is not true. in the opposite, rs8 treble is clearer than n8ii. rs8 is true resolution. for n8ii, cayin knows its resolution is not up there so they tune up the treble and make it sounds higher resolution. this works if paired with low class iems or headphones with higher loss in treble. but you can tell what really happens and the potential of rs8 if you use high quality low signal loss iems/headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back