HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Jan 12, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #1,636 of 3,403
I believe the RS8 can handle that closed headphone without the nice tube amp!
Yeah, it's driving ZMF stuff pretty well on its own, but I've always loved ZMF cans on tubes and Pendant has been retired since I got Nautilus. It was nice to put it to use again.

You keep this in your office cubicle? I hope you can lock your door every night before you go home :D
Pendant comes in a big Pelican case, and I have a couple Seahorse cases for my ZMF cans, so the whole setup comes home with me after hours. I'm setting up the space to make drop-in audio as easy as possible....

20230112_091506.jpg

Such as today's setup:
20230112_113312.jpg

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #1,637 of 3,403
Yeah, it's driving ZMF stuff pretty well on its own, but I've always loved ZMF cans on tubes and Pendant has been retired since I got Nautilus. It was nice to put it to use again.

Pendant comes in a big Pelican case, and I have a couple Seahorse cases for my ZMF cans, so the whole setup comes home with me after hours. I'm setting up the space to make drop-in audio as easy as possible....

Such as today's setup:

Which one do you like better with the RS8 the ZMF or the Stellia?

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #1,638 of 3,403
Does the new firmware fix Amazon Music problems?

Not yet, Hiby told me this update was focused on fixing Apple Music. Amazon Music fix should be next.

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #1,639 of 3,403
Not yet, Hiby told me this update was focused on fixing Apple Music. Amazon Music fix should be next.
Ok. I'll keep waiting...

Jan 12, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #1,640 of 3,403
Which one do you like better with the RS8 the ZMF or the Stellia?
I'll have to get back to you on that. My Stellia cable is terminated in 2.5mm and I forgot my adapters. 🙄

Fortunately, I also had my 600 ohm 880s in the office, so I ended up listening to that today (via V280). Most of the day I used the Qobuz app, but towards the end I got Roon working and connected RS8 directly to my Core as a DAC. The improvement in sound quality was dramatic!

20230112_132353.jpg

I noticed that the USB settings include Audio In + Charging and Audio In (No Charge). However, I didn't get to listen for long enough to see whether my NUC will charge RS8 (or at least keep it charged).

It would be great if I can keep RS8 charged while I'm listening, but barring that it would be really helpful for the "external DAC" screen to show the current battery level. At least then I could see when I'm getting close to running out of juice....

EDIT: Forgot to post pic...

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #1,641 of 3,403
You keep this in your office cubicle? I hope you can lock your door every night before you go home :D

That was my thought…I’d be too nervous to leave that overnight in the office.

Granted that is an amazing office audio set up if your job lets you listen to music uninterrupted for a good stretch of the day!

Jan 14, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #1,645 of 3,403
A while back I reported the MQA "crackling" issue to HiBy.
They acknowledged the issue and implemented a fix for it in the new 1.10 firmware.

However, I'm still running into the issue. I'm wondering if anyone running into the earlier issue can confirm that it is fixed.
@twister6 @cristrix @KupingManja
Also if anyone wants to try on their RS8 here are the reproduction steps. I'm also curious to see if someone does not have the problem.

RS8 Firmware 1.10_20230107-1114
Application: Tidal Music
Tidal Config: Settings-->Quality-->Streaming/Download-->Set to Master

Steps:
1) Add The Lover Of Beirut (Anouar Brahem), then add Se tu m'ami (Akiko Nakajima, Niels Muus)
2) These two tracks should appear side-by-side in your playlist:
Se tu m'ami (Akiko Nakajima, Niels Muus) - Labeled as HIFI
The Lover Of Beirut (Anouar Brahem) - Labeled as Master
3) Play some of Se tu m'ami first. And you can skip to next track anytime to play The Lover Of Beirut.
(The cracking happens right away at the beginning of The Lover Of Beirut for a few seconds. While it is happening, you can hear the music playing in the background. This is just as an example, it happens always when switching from non-MQA to MQA track)

I've let HiBy know that I'm still experiencing the same issue. They recommended trying a factory reset, which I have done. Same issue exists, so I'm wondering if others are seeing this issue.

Jan 14, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #1,649 of 3,403
A while back I reported the MQA "crackling" issue to HiBy.
They acknowledged the issue and implemented a fix for it in the new 1.10 firmware.

However, I'm still running into the issue. I'm wondering if anyone running into the earlier issue can confirm that it is fixed.
@twister6 @cristrix @KupingManja
Also if anyone wants to try on their RS8 here are the reproduction steps. I'm also curious to see if someone does not have the problem.

RS8 Firmware 1.10_20230107-1114
Application: Tidal Music
Tidal Config: Settings-->Quality-->Streaming/Download-->Set to Master

Steps:
1) Add The Lover Of Beirut (Anouar Brahem), then add Se tu m'ami (Akiko Nakajima, Niels Muus)
2) These two tracks should appear side-by-side in your playlist:
Se tu m'ami (Akiko Nakajima, Niels Muus) - Labeled as HIFI
The Lover Of Beirut (Anouar Brahem) - Labeled as Master
3) Play some of Se tu m'ami first. And you can skip to next track anytime to play The Lover Of Beirut.
(The cracking happens right away at the beginning of The Lover Of Beirut for a few seconds. While it is happening, you can hear the music playing in the background. This is just as an example, it happens always when switching from non-MQA to MQA track)

I've let HiBy know that I'm still experiencing the same issue. They recommended trying a factory reset, which I have done. Same issue exists, so I'm wondering if others are seeing this issue.
Hi, the problem is still exist if i am using 3rd party app like UAPP or Tidal.
But HibyMusic is no longer having this problem, i made sure by switching back and forth Mqa to flac files several times.
I guess we just have to be happy with HibyMusic atm until next update is released.

Jan 14, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #1,650 of 3,403
Any idea when Hiby Cast might be available?

It’s currently available on Android. Unfortunately HibyCast app is not yet available in the Apple App Store.

The “https://cast.hiby.com” URL will download the “HiByCast_Client_for_Android_v1.0.1227.apk” which you’ll need to install in order to connect to the RS8’s IP address.

5B10C671-25AD-4598-8A16-92A57303610C.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back