HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #3,121 of 3,177
Jan 4, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #3,122 of 3,177
... You mean to say I don't have to only use Hiby music to play my music??!
... certainly not.

Also, when you say "Album folder", does that mean you're actually using the Folder browsing view?

You should do "Scan for music" and then use the actual Album tab to browse, that should work.

Folder would ignore metadata and browse using filename alphabetical order only.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 4, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #3,123 of 3,177
... certainly not.

Also, when you say "Album folder", does that mean you're actually using the Folder browsing view?

You should do "Scan for music" and then use the actual Album tab to browse, that should work.

Folder would ignore metadata and browse using filename alphabetical order only.
I scanned for all my music, but I prefer to scroll through my music by artist until I see someone that fits my mood, then go into their album list and pick an album.

File name alphabetical order would be fine! But when I went into a folder with tracks named numerically according to their track order, and hit play, it played the tracks in alphabetical order, which makes no sense to me

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #3,124 of 3,177
I scanned for all my music, but I prefer to scroll through my music by artist until I see someone that fits my mood, then go into their album list and pick an album.

File name alphabetical order would be fine! But when I went into a folder with tracks named numerically according to their track order, and hit play, it played the tracks in alphabetical order, which makes no sense to me
what's your version of the HiByMusic app?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 4, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #3,126 of 3,177
... You mean to say I don't have to only use Hiby music to play my music??!
Correct. Hiby is one of the manufacturers that often bring out devices with so-called Open Android. This means that you can install whatever third party Android App you want. This includes apps such as Neutron and USB Audio Player Pro. This does not necessarily mean that the included Hiby app is a poor choice, on the contrary. But is does mean that there are good alternatives. Some sounding better even than the Hiby music App.
I myself have purchased both Neutron and UAPP but have since long settled on UAPP for its overall versatility and sound quality. UAPP is sometimes even called the Swiss Army Knife of streaming on Android-based DAPS. It offers access to Tidal and Qobuz, as well as a local library, Dropbox libraries and DLNA/uPNP servers all in one interface. And it can not only drive your players internal audio system but also any external USB dac that you might want to drive . On top of that it offers a wealth of EQ possibilities should you wish to deviate from Bitperfect playback and slightly adjust the sound… You can simply purchase those apps from the Google Play store and install them on the RS6…

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #3,127 of 3,177
My dilemma - which one: R6Pro2 or RS6?

I have a R5ii which I really like and will keep for it's portable size and long battery life but I want something with nicer sound. The leading contender has been the R6Pro2 with it's cool purple modern design, SOC, Android 12, and AKM architecture, but not a fan of it's bigger size and button style and placement. My R5ii is better thought out. But now I can't stop thinking about the RS6, which is like a jewel and very boutique with it's in house R2R DAC and copper chassis. To me, it's an iconic design and more exclusive. I do prefer the original rose copper color over the new grey. The downside is it's older Android 9 OS and the higher price. The R6P2 is more future proof. Both don't have great battery life, but that's ok. I don't listen non stop for more than a few hours at a time. I'm really curious about the R2R sound and have heard great things about it, as well as the R6P2. I think the RS6 is the highest I intend to go in this hobby, at least that's what I tell myself.

Any words of wisdom to help me decide. Anyone have a rose copper RS6 for sale? :dt880smile:

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #3,129 of 3,177
My dilemma - which one: R6Pro2 or RS6?

I have a R5ii which I really like and will keep for it's portable size and long battery life but I want something with nicer sound. The leading contender has been the R6Pro2 with it's cool purple modern design, SOC, Android 12, and AKM architecture, but not a fan of it's bigger size and button style and placement. My R5ii is better thought out. But now I can't stop thinking about the RS6, which is like a jewel and very boutique with it's in house R2R DAC and copper chassis. To me, it's an iconic design and more exclusive. I do prefer the original rose copper color over the new grey. The downside is it's older Android 9 OS and the higher price. The R6P2 is more future proof. Both don't have great battery life, but that's ok. I don't listen non stop for more than a few hours at a time. I'm really curious about the R2R sound and have heard great things about it, as well as the R6P2. I think the RS6 is the highest I intend to go in this hobby, at least that's what I tell myself.

Any words of wisdom to help me decide. Anyone have a rose copper RS6 for sale? :dt880smile:
Well... I've had RS6 for a little while now and I've really liked it, and recently had the chance to audition R6P2, so of course I did some side by side testing.

R6P2 does have a larger screen that is a little easier on the eyes, and a newer version of Android. Both are quite snappy in performance, there's not much in it there tbh. I didn't like the side buttons of the R6P2, the tactile volume knob on the RS6 is much nicer. And the fit/finish of the RS6 copper chassis is way nicer than the dull black R6P2 version that I had, although the purple one probably has a bit more pizzaz. RS6 has a smaller size footprint, but is a bit heftier in a reassuring kind of way, like you have a more significant object in your hand. Battery life is not outstanding on either, although I think you might get an hour or so more with the R6P2, in Class AB anyway. Up til now I haven't been a very heavy DAP user, so this never bothered me with the RS6.

As far as sound, they are rather similar, I found myself using the same gain setting on both, with perhaps just a few clicks more volume on the R6P2 to achieve a similar audible volume level with all my IEMs. As far as which DAP is "better" probably comes down to the synergy with a specific IEM, and the sort of sound you are ultimately after. The RS6 is generally a bit weightier in the bass, and it's R2R DAC gives it a more natural, organic lush kind of sound. R6P2 is a bit punchier, and focusses in a bit more on upper midrange and treble. With some IEMs, like the Elysian Annihilator, the R6P2 felt just a bit thinner and slightly more sterile, whereas the RS6 was bassier, with a grander sense of soundstage. One of my fave IEMs is the FiR Xe6, that already has a thick lush mid bass and lower midrange, and I'm sure for many the RS6 would be too much of a good thing. I never really thought this, however when I heard Xe6 with the R6P2 I could appreciate the somewhat more pulled-back nature of the DAP giving the pairing a more 'correct' sounding presentation.

hth, they are both great DAPs, you can't really go too far wrong with either. I think it depends a bit on the sound, and if you want a more 'premium' feeling DAP.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #3,130 of 3,177
Thanks for the thoughtful response! It's a head vs heart sort of decision! I may wait to see if any used RS6's come up for sale in the US, or the R6Pro2 to go on sale next, whichever comes first.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #3,131 of 3,177
I've actually read all of this thread (i may not remember every detail, though), but it sounds like at least 2 people have had long term issues with RS6 batteries - one had a swelling issue, and one had a greatly reduced battery capacity issue. This does give me some concern with buying a potentially 2 year old used RS6. How has the battery been holding up?

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #3,132 of 3,177
I've actually read all of this thread (i may not remember every detail, though), but it sounds like at least 2 people have had long term issues with RS6 batteries - one had a swelling issue, and one had a greatly reduced battery capacity issue. This does give me some concern with buying a potentially 2 year old used RS6. How has the battery been holding up?
Battery is fine on mine, but then I don't use a DAP as much as some folks, prefer to use desktop when at home. I still seem to get 5-6 hours or so on days I take it on my commute to the office.

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:23 AM Post #3,133 of 3,177
Ive had R6P2 and it’s a definite step down sound wise from RS6, although mine is modded i think without the mod, they don’t sound anything like each other as R2Rs always sound different anyway
RS6 is a great dap, R6P2 sank down oblivion quickly

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #3,134 of 3,177
Ive had R6P2 and it’s a definite step down sound wise from RS6, although mine is modded i think without the mod, they don’t sound anything like each other as R2Rs always sound different anyway
RS6 is a great dap, R6P2 sank down oblivion quickly
I agree here. Having gone through every Hiby DAP that has an R5 or higher in its model number, I have settled on both RS6 and RS8. With the side comment that the RS6 punches so high above its weight that the SQ difference between the RS6 and RS8 definitely feels smaller than their price difference… 😎

(For that reason alone I would be tempted to also get an RS2 if it would also come with WiFi and streaming capabilities 😇)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #3,135 of 3,177
This forum, and you folks on it, are seriously dangerous! I really wasn’t planning on spending much more than $900 for either a used RS6 or new R6Pro2, I thought I’d stretch to $1400 for a new RS6. Now I’m seriously considering a gently use RS8 for $500 more after reading all the impressions. The RS8 sounds magical. Knowing me, I’ll always wish I had stretched to the RS8 and would likely give in and get one eventually. I’ve spend good money on audio in the past and never regretted it. I received a better end of year bonus than I expected, and I’ll be turning 60 later this year so why not? But geez, it’s a lot of money for a Chinese music player! I’m still waffling…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back