HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Mar 29, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #3,166 of 3,177
Hey Joe, appreciate the response!

Never too hot to hold but definitely could be used as a pocket warmer :p

I am getting about what I’d expect from the battery life too. I have checked to make sure nothing is unnecessarily draining the battery during use.

I guess I am just concerned because if my phone were to get this hot I’d be getting warnings about the battery health, so is the RS6 battery designed to withstand these higher sustained temperatures?

For reference I am using AccuBattery on android to give me my stats.
To be honest a device getting warm is only a sign that it is able to efficiently get rid of internal heat by channelling it towards the exterior casing. That’s how electronics work. (I would actually be worried if a DAP would not get warm, especially when higher gain settings are involved). My RS6 and RS8 also get warm, but meanwhile I have learned to accept that.

On the RS6 Accubattery as also not shown any significant degradation beyond 10%. The health stat has not dropped further down than 90% and seems to be holding there.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #3,167 of 3,177
To be honest a device getting warm is only a sign that it is able to efficiently get rid of internal heat by channelling it towards the exterior casing. That’s how electronics work. (I would actually be worried if a DAP would not get warm, especially when higher gain settings are involved). My RS6 and RS8 also get warm, but meanwhile I have learned to accept that.

On the RS6 Accubattery as also not shown any significant degradation beyond 10%. The health stat has not dropped further down than 90% and seems to be holding there.
Good to hear from your experience!

I agree, I’m glad the device is dissipating heat effectively - I guess I am just correlating that to potential harm to the battery. The RS8 specifically included a copper heat sink to help protect the battery… it could be because that can run in Class A as well. That’s what let me down this thought train because RS6 didn’t have any information about an internal heatsink :)

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #3,168 of 3,177
Good to hear from your experience!

I agree, I’m glad the device is dissipating heat effectively - I guess I am just correlating that to potential harm to the battery. The RS8 specifically included a copper heat sink to help protect the battery… it could be because that can run in Class A as well. That’s what let me down this thought train because RS6 didn’t have any information about an internal heatsink :)
Ths RS6 also does not do Class-A ... Even though the higher gain settings do lead to a slightly increased temperature, I think everything still is nicely within acceptable thresholds. My Cayin C9 in comparison becomes much warmer (pairing Nutubes with Class-A)

Apr 15, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #3,169 of 3,177
I just rubbed the side of my RS6 and a thin layer of film began to peel off. Has anyone experience this before?

IMG_7961.jpeg

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #3,171 of 3,177
Unfortunately yes. This is a known quality issue with the original copper coating of the RS6 and reason why they ultimately introduced a newer grey version. The grey finish solved this issue. For a while there was an exchange program that would allow you to get your old RS6 retrofitted with the new grey outer casing. Can't remember what fee Hiby asked for that, nor do I know whether that option still exists. Thankfully this issue is merely cosmetic and will not interfere with the proper functioning of the RS6. I do however understand why people would opt for having the outer casing exchanged. I did anyway and the RS6 has looked pristine ever since. No coating issues whatsoever.

RS6.png

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #3,172 of 3,177
Unfortunately yes. This is a known quality issue with the original copper coating of the RS6 and reason why they ultimately introduced a newer grey version. The grey finish solved this issue. For a while there was an exchange program that would allow you to get your old RS6 retrofitted with the new grey outer casing. Can't remember what fee Hiby asked for that, nor do I know whether that option still exists. Thankfully this issue is merely cosmetic and will not interfere with the proper functioning of the RS6. I do however understand why people would opt for having the outer casing exchanged. I did anyway and the RS6 has looked pristine ever since. No coating issues whatsoever.

Ahh interesting… would it be stupid to scratch off the rest of the film with my fingernail, so at least it’s a consistent copper colour?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #3,173 of 3,177
Ahh interesting… would it be stupid to scratch off the rest of the film with my fingernail, so at least it’s a consistent copper colour?
Stupid or not, at least it is audacious 😂

Apr 15, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #3,174 of 3,177
Stupid or not, at least it is audacious 😂
:D I didn’t attempt it. I realised that would make my hands always smell like copper. I’ve emailed Hiby to see if they still offer that service. Thanks for your help again!

On a side note, regarding battery life I was able to extend it quite a bit by using npaudio’s suggestions to remove android services that aren’t required. Got me about 2 extra hours of playback with screen off.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #3,175 of 3,177
On a side note, regarding battery life I was able to extend it quite a bit by using npaudio’s suggestions to remove android services that aren’t required. Got me about 2 extra hours of playback with screen off.
Same here … 🔥

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #3,177 of 3,177
I am being given the option to exchange for the gun metal grey unit. I think I’m going to do it but, as someone who’s owned both I’d love to hear your thoughts about in general!
There’s only one aspect of the grey one I don’t like. It’s an absolute fingerprint magnet. For everything else I aesthetically prefer the grey one over the copper one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back