HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Aug 18, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #2,536 of 3,178
Your IMR will benefit for sure, I had R1 zenith, R2 Aten, RAH, Opus mia and PB2, hybrid design needs more power than a dongle can provide.
I never had the feeling that RU6 doesn’t have enough power for my IMR. I never exceeded a volume of 40 out of 100

Aug 18, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #2,537 of 3,178
I never had the feeling that RU6 doesn’t have enough power for my IMR. I never exceeded a volume of 40 out of 100
You can’t because distortion become higher, power always makes difference believe or not.
You can’t drive planar + DD design with a dongle to get a good performance.
Try with a good Dap and let me know, I know Bob’s products since IMR was born😉

Aug 19, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #2,538 of 3,178
I can only recommend RS6 for your IMR. I never tried the RU6 and it's always about preferences too. Would be best if you can demo RS6 first, but I think you'll love the RS6 NOS sound.

Aug 19, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #2,540 of 3,178
I have no doubt that I will like RS6 sound. What I don't know is whether it is worth the extra price compared to RU6 if I don't care about power

Aug 19, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #2,541 of 3,178
I have no doubt that I will like RS6 sound. What I don't know is whether it is worth the extra price compared to RU6 if I don't care about power
In that case you may want to hold fire for the RS2, which will be much closer in price to the RU6 but, from what I hear, will have similar sonics to the RS6 (and less power too).

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #2,542 of 3,178
In that case you may want to hold fire for the RS2, which will be much closer in price to the RU6 but, from what I hear, will have similar sonics to the RS6 (and less power too).
I would have been very tempted by RS2 if it was possible to stream music. I almost exclusively listen to music through Tidal

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #2,543 of 3,178
I would have been very tempted by RS2 if it was possible to stream music. I almost exclusively listen to music through Tidal
My other DAP is half the price of RS6 and for me it doesn't sound any worse than RS6, only different sound. It's R2R too and It has very good Bluetooth streaming too.

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #2,544 of 3,178
Hi Joe,
Am often applying a -3db bell at 2khz, Q1 in UApp Tonebooster for Odin.
Would really like to try that convolution approach if you can give me a helping hand.
Download to RS6 and change extension to .wav

Load in convolution plugin
Make sure "Other sample rate bypass" is unchecked (it is checked by default)

So far these are "my interpretation" of an optimization for the Odin, if you want a strict -3dB at 2kHz only, I may make one tomorrow

Attachments

• EE Odin-xf.txt
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • EE Odin-min.txt
    484 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 19, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #2,545 of 3,178
Download to RS6 and change extension to .wav

Load in convolution plugin
Make sure "Other sample rate bypass" is unchecked (it is checked by default)

So far these are "my interpretation" of an optimization for the Odin, if you want a strict -3dB at 2kHz only, I may make one tomorrow
Thx Joe.
These 2 settings though don't make it better.
Foundation is missing afterwards and upper frequencies don't seem to be really tamed.
So I prefer running without and eventually playing with MSEB settings.
In the end Odin might just not be my cup of tea.

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #2,546 of 3,178
Thx Joe.
These 2 settings though don't make it better.
Foundation is missing afterwards and upper frequencies don't seem to be really tamed.
So I prefer running without and eventually playing with MSEB settings.
In the end Odin might just not be my cup of tea.
Actually, before making a profile this time around, I forgot to ask you for your impressions of the Odin, which is at least as important as its intrinsic properties.

Aside from wanting to lower 2kHz by 3dB--what are your listening impressions of the Odin before any tweaks? What do you like and not like, what would you like to see improved? Remarks regarding tonality are especially informative but any comments are useful.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 21, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #2,547 of 3,178
@Joe Bloggs

G'day mate,
I tried asking in the Hiby RS2 thread, but is it possible to get a photo of the reverse side of the Hiby RS2 PCB?
I have one on the way, and I'm an electronic engineer, just find it interesting to see the PCB and attribute certain design decisions to what I'm hearing.
I usually wouldn't bother asking and would just unscrew the thing and have a look but these days when everything is just glued together I'd rather not wreck my new toy on day one trying to get it apart!

76824b928381ba5f316aa266f1241cd1.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #2,548 of 3,178
@Joe Bloggs

G'day mate,
I tried asking in the Hiby RS2 thread, but is it possible to get a photo of the reverse side of the Hiby RS2 PCB?
I have one on the way, and I'm an electronic engineer, just find it interesting to see the PCB and attribute certain design decisions to what I'm hearing.
I usually wouldn't bother asking and would just unscrew the thing and have a look but these days when everything is just glued together I'd rather not wreck my new toy on day one trying to get it apart!

76824b928381ba5f316aa266f1241cd1.jpg
Ok I have forwarded your request. It is up to them whether they want to show it or not.

Aug 21, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #2,549 of 3,178
Unfair question I know: Does anyone have a sense that the RS6 may be upgraded with a new model soon? I see that there is a small discount being offered ny one retailer. I have other an old HIby DAP and I am a big fan of the sound and support. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back