HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Jun 26, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #2,431 of 3,178
Quote from the HiBy RS6 web page [ https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-rs6 ] -
Switchable oversampling / NOS

NOS mode bypasses oversampling and antialiasing, responding instantaneously to transients and stairsteps, converting to analog in the most raw and direct manner possible; Oversampling mode removes aliasing artifacts, enables all functions of the Darwin architecture, realizes personalized adjustments of sound signature, adapting to different earphones
Ok, so from that I understand NOS must be disabled to get the Darwin filters and other dsp effects to work, right?

Still not sure where those other presets and filters come from, eg “post-Nyq shallow LP”, etc..

Jun 26, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #2,432 of 3,178
@Joe Bloggs - Should we expect a standard USB 2.0 port to be able to charge the battery in the RS6, while it's operating as a USB DAC, using Audio In (USB Power) mode?

The battery in mine just keeps discharging, as I'm listening to it as a USB DAC.
As an experiment, I'm putting the RS6 into Airplane mode, to reduce its power usage.
I don't yet have an inline USB-C Tester - but I have got one of these ordered, to test whether there's a problem with the port on my PC -
71F4lcYrA4L._SL1500_.jpg

Jun 26, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #2,433 of 3,178
Ok, so from that I understand NOS must be disabled to get the Darwin filters and other dsp effects to work, right?

Still not sure where those other presets and filters come from, eg “post-Nyq shallow LP”, etc..

Sorry, I can't answer questions about the filters & EQ - since I use my RS6 in NOS mode, with all EQ turned Off.

Jun 26, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #2,434 of 3,178
@Joe Bloggs - Should we expect a standard USB 2.0 port to be able to charge the battery in the RS6, while it's operating as a USB DAC, using Audio In (USB Power) mode?

The battery in mine just keeps discharging, as I'm listening to it as a USB DAC.
As an experiment, I'm putting the RS6 into Airplane mode, to reduce its power usage.
I don't yet have an inline USB-C Tester - but I have got one of these ordered, to test whether there's a problem with the port on my PC -
71F4lcYrA4L._SL1500_.jpg
There is a setting to tell RS6 whether to charge when in USB Audio setting...is yours discharging despite setting that to charge?

Jun 26, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #2,435 of 3,178
There is a setting to tell RS6 whether to charge when in USB Audio setting...is yours discharging despite setting that to charge?

Yes, with it in "Audio In (USB Power)" mode, my RS6 discharged until it was about to shut down.
So, I disconnected it from the cable on the USB 2.0 port, and connected it to a 2.1A USB charger for a while, until it was up to 77%.
After switching into Airplane mode, and reconnecting it to the USB 2.0 cable - while listening to it in USB DAC "Audio In (USB Power)" mode, with the screen Off, it seems to be almost maintaining its charge - losing about 1% per hour.

Jun 26, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #2,436 of 3,178
Yes, with it in "Audio In (USB Power)" mode, my RS6 discharged until it was about to shut down.
So, I disconnected it from the cable on the USB 2.0 port, and connected it to a 2.1A USB charger for a while, until it was up to 77%.
After switching into Airplane mode, and reconnecting it to the USB 2.0 cable - while listening to it in USB DAC "Audio In (USB Power)" mode, with the screen Off, it seems to be almost maintaining its charge - losing about 1% per hour.
There is a school of thought that running from battery only without PC charge provides better sound, eliminating noisy PC electronics from the signal, and RS6 may run cooler that way as well. Just my 2 cents, probably worth even less. :)

Jun 27, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #2,437 of 3,178
Hi guys i want to ask what is harmonic controller?

Jun 27, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #2,438 of 3,178
It adds additional harmonics which I believe are 2nd order harmonics akin to what tube amplifiers do. 2nd order and other even order harmonics can be perceived by some (including myself) as adding musicality as opposed to the more "clinical" sound of solid state type sound, hence the popularity of tube amps. Of course much of it is preference, so YMMV.

Jun 29, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #2,439 of 3,178
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 30, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,441 of 3,178
July 2 Hiby set to announce a " new" RS------interesting. I have the R6 Pro SS, R8 and RS6 and actually like the RS6 the best------
Like I need another.........unhgh. 😖
Any more details?

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #2,442 of 3,178
Previously posted in N8ii and Watercooler threads.

1656599599977.png

Jun 30, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #2,443 of 3,178
Per the above posts--one thing I really do like about the R6 Pro is the Harmonics settings----tube amp--as others have commented on. The RS6 features this with its Harmonic feature I think---you can "add' a degree of tonality. I must admit I really do not understand or use the Darwin filters and use NOS------
Really love the R2R sound----and the Hiby EQ and MSEB. I really like Hiby DAPs for BT --best I have found so far-----

Jun 30, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #2,444 of 3,178
RS6 is the strangest device for me. Judging after 1.5 months of use. After the first listening I liked the sound. I downloaded Joe's filters — I began to like them even more (I especially like filter №3 post-Nyq brickwall). But then the burn-in process the device began and... for me, the sound is getting worse and worse. It softens more and more, loses pressure / impact and drive more and more, it becomes more and more warm. There are many more things that are perceived as parasitic noise / dirt. It reminds me a lot of tubes. I hate tubes. It is impossible to listen to heavy music on the tubes.

So far, I decided not to listen to this DAP and put it on a long burn-in, the album is played non-stop. If my impressions do not change, then most likely I will have to return to the iBasso DAPs. Or QA361.

I'm really very surprised that I liked the sound right out of the box, but in the process of burning it began to deteriorate (for me).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back