HiBy R8 User Impressions
Oct 25, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #1,546 of 3,161
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 27, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #1,549 of 3,161
Not in mine, also the cutting issue in the native Tidal app that few people mentioned, I haven't faced that either! If some testing is required I can check, since I have the SS model it could be an interesting outcome. Although this seems more of a fw issue!!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #1,550 of 3,161
Not in mine, also the cutting issue in the native Tidal app that few people mentioned, I haven't faced that either! If some testing is required I can check, since I have the SS model it could be an interesting outcome. Although this seems more of a fw issue!!

Thanks, I'm just updating the firmware now, let's see if that helps. If not, will look at changing the SD card.

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #1,551 of 3,161
I agree on the N6/E02 comparison. R8 is definitely better to my ears.

Forgive me if it’s come up before but, on my R8, the volume knob can easily be pulled off. In fact if you hold the player upside down, it just falls off. Has anyone experienced that, or should it be tighter? Also, turning it sometimes doesn’t change the volume up or down, only every second click. It doesn’t seem right. The volume knob is the one flaw for me, but an irritating one, on an otherwise outstanding player. It substantially reduces the quality feel of the DAP.

The R8 vastly outclasses any A&K player I’ve owned in terms of user experience - except in this very basic area - the volume knob. Let’s the R8 down.
+1 on the volume wheel not always responding when turned. I usually have to turn multiple times before the volume control appears on screen. I mostly use 3rd party apps like Neutron or UAPP but the hardware volume control still doesn't invoke the system volume prompt until moving it several notches either way. @Joe Bloggs Is there a firmware fix in the works for this? Would be great if the volume wheel was more responsive as there isn't another way to control system volume that I'm aware of.

Oct 28, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #1,552 of 3,161
Maybe that explains it I don't use third party apps (except Tidal)... never encountered the problem but it sure looks like software could fix it

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #1,553 of 3,161
my r8 just got here. any preference between using the hiby app, or neutron, and uaap? any quality changes?

which ibasso burn in cable should i get? i would use headphones but it would be to loud at work

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #1,554 of 3,161
my r8 just got here. any preference between using the hiby app, or neutron, and uaap? any quality changes?

which ibasso burn in cable should i get? i would use headphones but it would be to loud at work

I've using the Hiby app to play music and sounds great, I tried Neutron but couldn't hear a difference, even when it was supposed to be upscaling.

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #1,555 of 3,161

I don't think iBasso sells their burn-in cables as a separate accessory, it comes stock with their DAPs, 2.5mm terminated short cable with a load to emulate headphone connection so you burn-in without blasting the music :D Ideally, that is the one you want to get and use it with 4.4mm and/or 3.5mm adapters for convenience to keep R8 playing in a loop for a week "quietly".

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #1,556 of 3,161
Using this with Tidal and it's the fastest of any DAP I owned to sync...

Still a bit annoyed at the MQA unfolding to 16x not sure it brings anything sonically and it provokes some glitches each time you change tracks nothing major but still worth noting.

You can try turning off the option to match the volume in the Tidal app... That may fix the MQA x16 deployment and show the correct bitrate (this may fix the small outages that you find annoying).

Oct 30, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #1,558 of 3,161
Is this the same as Loudness Normalization setting?

Yes, that's what I meant... I'm just saying try... In other daps I know it works.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #1,559 of 3,161
Did you guys/gals see the announcement of new R6, a.k.a. mini-R8? R8 is still the flagship with Turbo mode and high power output for demanding headphones, but the new R6 might be a good alternative for IEMs, and it looks like a scale down version of R8.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #1,560 of 3,161
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back