HiBy R8 User Impressions
Oct 24, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #1,531 of 3,161
Press “+” and “power” until it reset and restart.

Which one is the “+” button? There’s no markings on the buttons.

Edit: got it! It’s the one on the bottom and it works!!! Thanks!!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #1,532 of 3,161
Which one is the “+” button? There’s no markings on the buttons.
Edit: got it! It’s the one on the bottom and it works!!! Thanks!!

I really wish the buttons were swappable as is now very common just like the rotation of the volume wheel I'd rather it was the other way around... I got used to it but... since it's software driven...it should be fairly simple to do.

Oct 25, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #1,533 of 3,161
I have an R8 on it's way and wonder if someone has paired it with the Elegia. Or is that combo too pedestrian for this thread?:)

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #1,534 of 3,161
Thanks @normie610 those are some interesting impressions. I thought that E02 sounded really good, but to hear that hands down the R8 bests it is a testament to HiBy. The R8 is on my ‘want’ list.
I agree on the N6/E02 comparison. R8 is definitely better to my ears.

Forgive me if it’s come up before but, on my R8, the volume knob can easily be pulled off. In fact if you hold the player upside down, it just falls off. Has anyone experienced that, or should it be tighter? Also, turning it sometimes doesn’t change the volume up or down, only every second click. It doesn’t seem right. The volume knob is the one flaw for me, but an irritating one, on an otherwise outstanding player. It substantially reduces the quality feel of the DAP.

The R8 vastly outclasses any A&K player I’ve owned in terms of user experience - except in this very basic area - the volume knob. Let’s the R8 down.

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #1,535 of 3,161
Using this with Tidal and it's the fastest of any DAP I owned to sync...

Still a bit annoyed at the MQA unfolding to 16x not sure it brings anything sonically and it provokes some glitches each time you change tracks nothing major but still worth noting.
Yes, agree on the unfolding kicking in on Tidal masters. That 2 second delay before it does spoils the beginning of tracks. It’s quite irritating. You get used to it, but should you have to?

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #1,538 of 3,161
I guess im the only one who loves the wheel knob placement on R8!
I wish it was on the side, but obviously that can't happen with software, so for now I wish they would allow me to turn it the opposite direction for volume up.

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #1,539 of 3,161
I agree on the N6/E02 comparison. R8 is definitely better to my ears.

Forgive me if it’s come up before but, on my R8, the volume knob can easily be pulled off. In fact if you hold the player upside down, it just falls off. Has anyone experienced that, or should it be tighter? Also, turning it sometimes doesn’t change the volume up or down, only every second click. It doesn’t seem right. The volume knob is the one flaw for me, but an irritating one, on an otherwise outstanding player. It substantially reduces the quality feel of the DAP.

The R8 vastly outclasses any A&K player I’ve owned in terms of user experience - except in this very basic area - the volume knob. Let’s the R8 down.

That doesn't sound right. I think you better contact retailer who sold it to you, sounds like you got a defective unit.

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #1,540 of 3,161
That doesn't sound right. I think you better contact retailer who sold it to you, sounds like you got a defective unit

Yep volume wheel is fine for me as well

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #1,541 of 3,161
I have noticed a little sharpness with the unit, but more when I first received the unit. After some hours it decreased. Someone else on the this thread mentioned this, but also said it decreased with time. I have the ODIN which has a bit of forwardness in the upper mids and I have found that lower volumes as well as more seasoning time has really helped.
I’m also using the Odin with the R8. Yes, definitely edgy with certain tracks, but after putting 100 hours on the Odins, it’s definitely getting smoother.

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #1,542 of 3,161
I have noticed a little sharpness with the unit, but more when I first received the unit. After some hours it decreased. Someone else on the this thread mentioned this, but also said it decreased with time. I have the ODIN which has a bit of forwardness in the upper mids and I have found that lower volumes as well as more seasoning time has really helped.

Burn in definitely comes into play, the R8 is fundamentaly very safe in the upper mids IMHO, this is quite apparent with the Luna or the FIBAE7 that has quite some bite, probably not up to Odin levels though (rough idea since I only had a short audition).

Oct 25, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #1,543 of 3,161
Burn in definitely comes into play, the R8 is fundamentaly very safe in the upper mids IMHO, this is quite apparent with the Luna or the FIBAE7 that has quite some bite, probably not up to Odin levels though (rough idea since I only had a short audition).
It would be great if you could audition the R8 with the Rhapsodio MKII Infinity MK2 since that's one of the IEM I am eyeing as my last piece for the year, with Sultan and Diana V2 as the other options.

Oct 25, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #1,544 of 3,161
It would be great if you could audition the R8 with the Rhapsodio MKII Infinity MK2 since that's one of the IEM I am eyeing as my last piece for the year, with Sultan and Diana V2 as the other options.

If @popof94 gives me another opportunity I'll be able to report on the pairing :)

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #1,545 of 3,161
Yes, agree on the unfolding kicking in on Tidal masters. That 2 second delay before it does spoils the beginning of tracks. It’s quite irritating. You get used to it, but should you have to?
Do you know if the MQA unfolding issue / 2 second delay on the R8 is the same thing that has been discussed with the N6ii/E02 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back