R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
May 12, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #2,191 of 4,421
hi!
another happy user of R5 making himself more musical :)

However, i also have an issue with MQA disruptions during first second of new song. It seems to me R5 starts play pcm and suddenly realizes it is MQA and switches to MQA. This causes some "chrrchrr" and click. But not always....

There are few more things i would like to see changed:
audio settings:
- changing volume up/down on volume screen - happened quite a few times, that i was scrolling music while listening, pressing volume button to change volume just a bit and finger still sliding on screen shot volume to max. i would like to be able to turn this volume screen off and use only buttons or some slider in notification area.
- i changed channel balance by mistake, it required my fat fingers fiddling for a minute to get it back to middle on this tiny display. could there be some - + on the ends of lines to set it in -/+1 steps (or even reset) for those sensitive settings?
- Sleep - new settings to turn off device after x mins (max 60 mins) - this is nice, but could it be up to x hours max? This is great feature to have some Insurance you will not pick up R5 with empty battery when you go out after few days on shelf. but 60m is quite steep and not that useful. i put down R5 for couple hours at work but dont want to wait for boot (even though quite fast). however if i dont touch it for say 4-8 hours, it should sleep.
- volume dynamics - logarithm/exponent is nice, but could there be plain linear too?

@Joe Bloggs - do you have any news on this MQA issue or soon to be released new FW from Hiby? :)
Last firmware (1.82) fixed quite a few issues (for me mainly 192k on USB DAC), thanks for that.

have a nice day you all!!

May 12, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #2,192 of 4,421
Anyone else having this issue with MQAs where it stutters or “chrrchrs” during start of the song or intermittently? Are these downloaded Tidal MQA tracks? Or people’s own files? If the latter, which app are you using? Are you listening SE or balanced out? That kinda sucks that an apparent software (or hardware?) glitch is developing at this stage. Also, volume shooting up on its own when using screen control? Back panel popping off when it heats up? Really? Sonys don’t do any of that..

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #2,193 of 4,421
hi!
another happy user of R5 making himself more musical :)

However, i also have an issue with MQA disruptions during first second of new song. It seems to me R5 starts play pcm and suddenly realizes it is MQA and switches to MQA. This causes some "chrrchrr" and click. But not always....

There are few more things i would like to see changed:
audio settings:
- changing volume up/down on volume screen - happened quite a few times, that i was scrolling music while listening, pressing volume button to change volume just a bit and finger still sliding on screen shot volume to max. i would like to be able to turn this volume screen off and use only buttons or some slider in notification area.
- i changed channel balance by mistake, it required my fat fingers fiddling for a minute to get it back to middle on this tiny display. could there be some - + on the ends of lines to set it in -/+1 steps (or even reset) for those sensitive settings?
- Sleep - new settings to turn off device after x mins (max 60 mins) - this is nice, but could it be up to x hours max? This is great feature to have some Insurance you will not pick up R5 with empty battery when you go out after few days on shelf. but 60m is quite steep and not that useful. i put down R5 for couple hours at work but dont want to wait for boot (even though quite fast). however if i dont touch it for say 4-8 hours, it should sleep.
- volume dynamics - logarithm/exponent is nice, but could there be plain linear too?

@Joe Bloggs - do you have any news on this MQA issue or soon to be released new FW from Hiby? :)
Last firmware (1.82) fixed quite a few issues (for me mainly 192k on USB DAC), thanks for that.

have a nice day you all!!
Hello UltraHiDeaf,

I will forward the rest of your suggestions, but please note that there is no sense in a linear volume dynamic, as that would put 90% of the perceived volume changes in the first 10% or so of the slider range.

Cheers,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 12, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #2,194 of 4,421
I will forward the rest of your suggestions, but please note that there is no sense in a linear volume dynamic, as that would put 90% of the perceived volume changes in the first 10% or so of the slider range.
Hi!
cool thanks! i am 40+, already with some hearing issues, dont want to destroy what remains of my hearing... :wink:

i meant linear in how i perceive it - that increases feel same all the way up. do you mean linear on db scale? well, i have faint idea how that works, but thats not what i meant.
How volume scaled before FW 1.82? i think it was neither of those two...

btw - while you are here, any news on R8? :)

cheers!

May 12, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #2,195 of 4,421
Hi!
cool thanks! i am 40+, already with some hearing issues, dont want to destroy what remains of my hearing... :wink:

i meant linear in how i perceive it - that increases feel same all the way up. do you mean linear on db scale? well, i have faint idea how that works, but thats not what i meant.
How volume scaled before FW 1.82? i think it was neither of those two...

btw - while you are here, any news on R8? :)

cheers!

I would have to enquire further with the team about the volume scaling. Linear on the dB scale may be close to what you are after, however, you would run into the problem of there not being a "0" (mute) setting on the volume slider, strictly speaking. Linear on the amplitude scale was what I was referring to.

May I ask, where you are running into the "chrrchrr" problem with the start of MQA tracks changing sample rates? I believe it would be on the TIDAL app only and not on any local files played on HiByMusic?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 12, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #2,196 of 4,421
Anyone else having this issue with MQAs where it stutters or “chrrchrs” during start of the song or intermittently? Are these downloaded Tidal MQA tracks? Or people’s own files? If the latter, which app are you using? Are you listening SE or balanced out? That kinda sucks that an apparent software (or hardware?) glitch is developing at this stage. Also, volume shooting up on its own when using screen control? Back panel popping off when it heats up? Really? Sonys don’t do any of that..

It seems that we may be running into a fundamental conundrum here, in that MQA can often be detected only in mid-stream after reading up to a few seconds of music data (this is by design on MQA's part and no flaw of our player).

As a precaution, most MQA capable devices upsample to a fixed multiple of the sample rate on the tin of the file (e.g. 8x in the case of the R players, to 352.8 or 384kHz), to ensure that a detection of MQA mid-stream does not cause a change in output sample rate and hence an interruption in the sound. Then the player simply switches from blind upsampling to "informed" upsampling when MQA is locked in, with no break in the sound.

However, this seems plainly unpalatable for a player such as the R5/6/6pro where the output sample rate is displayed in plain sight for all to see all the time--it seems we'd get a flood of complaints about bit perfect original sample rate not being observed for non MQA tracks. Not to mention that the many useful DSP options we offer, work very poorly or not at all at 352.8 or 384kHz (it's cruel and unusual punishment for a mobile CPU, really).

The volume does not "shoot up on its own" when using the screen control. He's referring to the case where he presses the side volume buttons, and the onscreen volume control pops up automatically. Unaware of this, he flicks his finger on the screen (presumably to scroll down a playlist or something) and operates the volume control instead by mistake. I have forwarded the user's recommendation, that the volume interface be customizable, however I do not believe this is a function of, say, AK or Sony players either at this stage.

Last edited:

May 12, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #2,197 of 4,421
It seems that we may be running into a fundamental conundrum here, in that MQA can often be detected only in mid-stream after reading up to a few seconds of music data (this is by design on MQA's part and no flaw of our player).

As a precaution, most MQA capable devices upsample to a fixed multiple of the sample rate on the tin of the file (e.g. 8x in the case of the R players, to 352.8 or 384kHz), to ensure that a detection of MQA mid-stream does not cause a change in output sample rate and hence an interruption in the sound. Then the player simply switches from blind upsampling to "informed" upsampling when MQA is locked in, with no break in the sound.

However, this seems plainly unpalatable for a player such as the R5/6/6pro where the output sample rate is displayed in plain sight for all to see all the time--it seems we'd get a flood of complaints about bit perfect original sample rate not being observed for non MQA tracks. Not to mention that the many useful DSP options we offer, work very poorly or not at all at 352.8 or 384kHz (it's cruel and unusual punishment for a mobile CPU, really).

The volume does not "shoot up on its own" when using the screen control. He's referring to the case where he presses the side volume buttons, and the onscreen volume control pops up automatically. Unaware of this, he flicks his finger on the screen (presumably to scroll down a playlist or something) and operates the volume control instead by mistake. I have forwarded the user's recommendation, that the volume interface be customizable, however I do not believe this is a function of, say, AK or Sony players either at this stage.
Thank you, I do appreciate your rapid and thoughtful response. I was considering canceling my order of the R5, but knowing that you’re aware of and monitoring this thread alone restored my confidence. Can you say anything about the rear panel detaching for some? Has this QC issue been corrected?

May 12, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #2,198 of 4,421
May I ask, where you are running into the "chrrchrr" problem with the start of MQA tracks changing sample rates? I believe it would be on the TIDAL app only and not on any local files played on HiByMusic?
Hi Joe,

TIDAL/MQA
just tested - you are right. UAPP (tidal stream and local MQA file) nor Hiby (local MQA file) do that. only tidal.
hmmm, do you have some direct access to tidal or should we - people here - go after them en masse? :)
...and thanks for explanation on how MQA works in HW in other reply! i have not seen much info on how MQA is baked in devices.

yes, exactly - no unprovoked volume changes. just me being too fast (or stupid... :) )
well, you should take this as an opportunity to one-up AK or Sony :wink:

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #2,199 of 4,421
Thank you, I do appreciate your rapid and thoughtful response. I was considering canceling my order of the R5, but knowing that you’re aware of and monitoring this thread alone restored my confidence. Can you say anything about the rear panel detaching for some? Has this QC issue been corrected?

Unfortunately the nature of the problem at the assembly line was not such that we have something like a lookup table of serial numbers to tell whether your unit would have a problem with the back panel or not (we would simply have recalled the defective units if we did). I can assure you however that if you did run into this or any other problem of a similar nature, that we would take it very seriously in terms of warranty.

Cheers,
Joe

May 12, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #2,200 of 4,421
Hi Joe,

TIDAL/MQA
just tested - you are right. UAPP (tidal stream and local MQA file) nor Hiby (local MQA file) music apps do that. only tidal.
hmmm, do you have some direct access to tidal or should we - users - go after them en masse? :)

See my reply to JerryHead for the explanation of the cause of the issue--it's not exactly TIDAL's fault, well, I don't know where exactly to place the blame in this case. Although, seeing as UAPP seems to have licked the problem, it may be possible for TIDAL too. No, I don't have especially privileged access to TIDAL's ear at the moment.

Last edited:

May 12, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2,201 of 4,421
Can confirm same thing. Through Tidal app 3.5 with Meze 99 and KZ ZSX

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #2,202 of 4,421
I've given up explaining this :frowning2:

I think it's just fine that the lower button is used to forward to the next track, especially as that agrees with the the screen showing the next track below the current one in any list view.

But I'll never understand why 3 products and several batches later, the play button is still pointing the other way :frowning2:

Yeah I agree with you that the forward button should be the lower button but after saying that, then the play button direction is pointing the wrong way :face_palm:

May 15, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #2,203 of 4,421
Hi All, just got the R5 and am in the process of setting it all up. so far, so good, although I think I almost blew the drivers in my SE846s when I accidentally had the volume turned almost all the way up when I first played a track. At least I triggered my tinnitus big time. A few questions: When I'm in the Hiby music app, isn't there a way to choose Artist, and then see a list of albums for that artist? I'm having difficulty seeing how this could be done. Also, I downloaded Tidal, and love that I can hear Master (MQA) in their full intended resolution. I couldn't do that on my Sony NW-A105 which is why I returned it. Is there anyway however to apply any sound enhancements, or tuning adjustments to Tidal Masters or any Tidal tracks? Also, could someone explain to me in a nutshell why I should download UAPP? Is that app only useful if I'm using the R5 as a USB DAC? Or, could UAPP do something to enhance Tidal tracks? Sorry, I looked over the beginning of this thread and am having difficulty extracting the salient points in this regard..

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #2,204 of 4,421
Hi All, just got the R5 and am in the process of setting it all up. so far, so good, although I think I almost blew the drivers in my SE846s when I accidentally had the volume turned almost all the way up when I first played a track. At least I triggered my tinnitus big time. A few questions: When I'm in the Hiby music app, isn't there a way to choose Artist, and then see a list of albums for that artist? I'm having difficulty seeing how this could be done. Also, I downloaded Tidal, and love that I can hear Master (MQA) in their full intended resolution. I couldn't do that on my Sony NW-A105 which is why I returned it. Is there anyway however to apply any sound enhancements, or tuning adjustments to Tidal Masters or any Tidal tracks? Also, could someone explain to me in a nutshell why I should download UAPP? Is that app only useful if I'm using the R5 as a USB DAC? Or, could UAPP do something to enhance Tidal tracks? Sorry, I looked over the beginning of this thread and am having difficulty extracting the salient points in this regard..
Yes, you can toggle between songs and albums for an artist by touching the little icon that looks like the letter C with a musical note inside. It is located just below the displayed album art.

You cannot adjust sound settings when listening to a decoded MQA file. That is an MQA limitation, not Hiby or Tidal.
UAPP is a great music player as it has a fine equalizer (for non-MQA files) and some optional add-ons including Morphit custom presets, crossfeed and bit-perfect toggle. UAPP also bypasses the android sample rate limitation by using its own drivers. Well worth the modest cost!

May 16, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #2,205 of 4,421
Yes, you can toggle between songs and albums for an artist by touching the little icon that looks like the letter C with a musical note inside. It is located just below the displayed album art.

You cannot adjust sound settings when listening to a decoded MQA file. That is an MQA limitation, not Hiby or Tidal.
UAPP is a great music player as it has a fine equalizer (for non-MQA files) and some optional add-ons including Morphit custom presets, crossfeed and bit-perfect toggle. UAPP also bypasses the android sample rate limitation by using its own drivers. Well worth the modest cost!
Great, all very helpful. I already bought UAPP. thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back