R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
May 9, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #2,176 of 4,409
So now I’m not only getting a “hiccup” glitch whenever I start streaming an MQA song (either by touching the title or using the forward buttons, real or touch), but now I occasionally hear a brief burst of static on the first MQA song played on an album. It sounds like a needle on a dusty record, as if it’s a sound effect added on purpose to make it feel “analog.“ I think I’m losing my mind at this point. Anybody else?

May 9, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #2,177 of 4,409
So now I’m not only getting a “hiccup” glitch whenever I start streaming an MQA song (either by touching the title or using the forward buttons, real or touch), but now I occasionally hear a brief burst of static on the first MQA song played on an album. It sounds like a needle on a dusty record, as if it’s a sound effect added on purpose to make it feel “analog.“ I think I’m losing my mind at this point. Anybody else?
Haha!
I just powered up my R5 to check this (since I too have experienced the 'hiccup' start to playback on TIDAL) and chose the first MQA album that came to hand (9 Inch Nails - The Fragile), and was surprised that the hiccup seemed to be gone (hardware button) But wasn't getting any scratchy noises.
When (and I sh1t you not here) "We're In This Together" came on I thought, "Oh damn, I've got the vinyl scratch too!", but it doesn't affect other tracks (queue some frustrated head-scratching), but having tried various albums/tracks I've decided that the hiccup has become random, and the scratchy needle noise is actually recorded on "We're In This Together".
Weird that the hiccup would become random despite me not updating the device/apps recently.
Haven't noticed the scratching on any other recently played tracks, so my fingers are crossed that I don't suffer that one at least!
Super weird coincidence that the third track I listen to has the sound you described!

May 10, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #2,179 of 4,409
IMG_20200510_094040.jpg

This is my combo, R5 with Meze 99 Classic and Fiio FH5.
Should I buy a 4.4 balanced cable for the Meze or Fiio? Is it worth investing money in that?
Thanks, I'm new in this audiophile world!

May 10, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #2,180 of 4,409

I have the same issue. My playlists have both Master and Hifi and every time a Master starts i get the hiccup plus 2 or 3 static bursts and the start of the song. It is very annoying.

May 10, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,182 of 4,409
Is anyone using Meze Rai Solo with R5 in balanced output?
If so which is the result?
I use the standard 3.5mm with mine. I don't see the need for balanced it's loud enough with single ended.

May 10, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #2,183 of 4,409

Should I buy a 4.4 balanced cable for the Meze or Fiio? Is it worth investing money in that?
Yes, definitely. The added power the R5 provides from the balanced out really helps out a lot of gear. I actually think the 3.5 is a bit underpowered for a lot of my gear. I have some 4.4 cables (which don't have to be terribly expensive, you don't need an AE Osiris or anything), and others I have on a 2.5 with an adapter.

It's not necessarily the loudness, it's the dynamic balance and details, as well as the soundstage.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #2,184 of 4,409
IMG_20200510_094040.jpg
Have a 4.4mm cable for my Meze, it adds some more oomph to the music compared to 3.5mm with my Hiby R5. Got one off Amazon.

May 10, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #2,185 of 4,409
I beg to differ, but hey if your happy to me it's just another audiophile myth. Balanced has no place in domestic settings especially on £300 device . I have both the solos and 99 Classics to.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #2,186 of 4,409
It's not necessarily the fact that it's balanced that makes the difference, so I'm not going to get into that discussion. It's mostly the extra power (although I've done proper A/B and I can tell the difference, but YMMV). The R5 is 750mW+750mW(@32Ω) balanced and 245mW+245mW(@32Ω) unbalanced. I have headphones that sound only passable on unbalanced, and sound great from the 4.4. They also sound really good from my Burson Playmate, which can drive just about anything.

May 10, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #2,187 of 4,409
May 10, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #2,188 of 4,409
The R5 is 750mW+750mW(@32Ω) balanced and 245mW+245mW(@32Ω) unbalanced.

@Mouseman are you Sure about R5 power?
I Remember less in Balance mode, something like 560mW.
R6 pro Deliver 750mW

May 11, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #2,190 of 4,409
Hi everyone, I just ordered the R5 and plan to send back my Sony NW-A105 as I'm still within the return period. Not sure though, for anyone who may know, what do you think about the SQ of the R5 in comparison to the A105? I've heard some say they prefer the sound signature of the Sony. With the A105, I didn't like that you couldn’t hear Master Tidal tracks in their full bit by bit resolution, and also didn't like that the Sony didn't have the 4.4 jack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back