HiBy R8 User Impressions
Nov 2, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #1,576 of 3,161
Anyone heard the Hiby R8 (stand alone with SD card) and the ifi iDSD Black Label from a smartphone?

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #1,577 of 3,161
Anyone heard the Hiby R8 (stand alone with SD card) and the ifi iDSD Black Label from a smartphone?
Very interesting question that I'd also like an answer to, especially with the balanced iDSD Signature having just been released. I suspect the R8 will have an edge with IEMs, but with full-size headphones, not too sure. Of course you sacrifice easy portability with the ifi, but if that's not a priority...

Nov 6, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #1,578 of 3,161

I use the iDSD black label as my desktop solution if that counts.

I prefer the R8's sound, mids sound more forward, down low extends deeper.

In other words, has anyone experienced RF noise? I realise I get it when the R8 is in my pocket with my phone.

Nov 6, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #1,579 of 3,161
In other words, has anyone experienced RF noise? I realise I get it when the R8 is in my pocket with my phone.

Yes I’ve experienced it as well.

Nov 6, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #1,582 of 3,161
No RF here either, in fact it's a remarkable DAP in this respect IMHO.

Nov 7, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #1,584 of 3,161

It is possible and it is not just the R8 itself that can be affected by the RF interference, your IEM cable, IEM jack can also pick it. It can happen with any DAP with a cable sticking out.

Nov 8, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #1,586 of 3,161
Has anyone found a breakdown of the DAC filters (low-pass antialiasing filter settings) for the R8? Or perhaps created an impressions of the filters themselves? I know the sounds are marginal but curious what are some people's preferences.

Nov 8, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #1,587 of 3,161
Has anyone found a breakdown of the DAC filters (low-pass antialiasing filter settings) for the R8? Or perhaps created an impressions of the filters themselves? I know the sounds are marginal but curious what are some people's preferences.

No difference to my ears. I’ve previously asked this question but I believe @Joe Bloggs said it was meant to have no impact on the sound (or super minimal impact). It’s different to Cayin N6ii’s implementation (but that‘s with ESS DAC).

Nov 8, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #1,588 of 3,161
No difference to my ears. I’ve previously asked this question but I believe @Joe Bloggs said it was meant to have no impact on the sound (or super minimal impact). It’s different to Cayin N6ii’s implementation (but that‘s with ESS DAC).
Aw man-okay thanks for clarifying. Would explain why I couldn’t really make any perceptible impressions either haha.

Nov 8, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #1,589 of 3,161
I remember seeing this a while ago in one of the other Hiby threads. Assume the same applies to the R8 but not 100% sure.

655EA653-FD12-4A5A-8DD3-4B362C696750.png

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #1,590 of 3,161
I remember seeing this a while ago in one of the other Hiby threads. Assume the same applies to the R8 but not 100% sure.

Yes it does it's true for AKM filters :)
And I think I posted this in the thread earlier

Yes I agress ESS filters have a more perceptible effect, it's been my general experience including with N6ii ESS cards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back