HiBy R8 User Impressions
Nov 15, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #1,606 of 3,161
This is my second reference DAP, very capable, Android, can drive anything I have thrown at it.

Not really late, it hasn't been out that long.

That's great then I am right on time 😛

See I have a different type of use scenario, iems only and I have my main lord iem the tia noir's and they dont require that much power to run. What I really need is highest quality sound performance.
No hiss and no rf emi noise....

I really love sony daps and due to streaming I am on zx507 atm.

How does R8 sound? What tuning direction is it?
I love sub bass, soundstage, imaging, textures and layers, visceral speedy bass and good lively dynamics.

🐯🐾

Oh and what is your #1 reference dap?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #1,607 of 3,161
Hi folks late to the party hehe I am curious if there is any good reviews or feedbacks I can read?

More specifically interested to know how it sounds vs 1z/1a and zx507 and shanling m8.also sp2000 cc is hiby R8 a flagship worthy sound ?

Alex @twister6 did an excellent review on R8. You should check it out.

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #1,609 of 3,161
Nov 15, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #1,610 of 3,161
Nov 15, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #1,611 of 3,161
I want more feedback of people who been using it and what they think 😀

My A12t sounds great with it. Phantom sounds great with it too as it seems like it is just North of neutral.

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #1,612 of 3,161
I want more feedback of people who been using it and what they think 😀
Let me save you some time 🙂 I’ve done all this research already. The R8 is top of the list for being my next Dap. Job done. Buy it...👍

😀😀

Nov 15, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #1,613 of 3,161
Anybody figured out how to enter Android Recovery mode with R8? Typically with physical volume keys you hold volume up and then power button, or in daps with a volume wheel (like N6ii) you hold Prev and power button. I tried Prev and Power button, Next and Power button, even Play and Power button, but it just boots up straight into Android. I googled android recovery mode with Android 9 and it should be no different, at least with physical volume buttons. So, wonder if anybody got it to work with R8?

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #1,614 of 3,161
Anybody figured out how to enter Android Recovery mode with R8? Typically with physical volume keys you hold volume up and then power button, or in daps with a volume wheel (like N6ii) you hold Prev and power button. I tried Prev and Power button, Next and Power button, even Play and Power button, but it just boots up straight into Android. I googled android recovery mode with Android 9 and it should be no different, at least with physical volume buttons. So, wonder if anybody got it to work with R8?

With @Joe Bloggs help, got it to work. R8 has to be powered on, select Restart and when it starts press and hold skip Prev button (above Play) until you see android on its back. Then, Press power button and then Prev button again to enter Recovery mode from which you can do a clean wipe cache/data and factory reset.

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #1,616 of 3,161
From what I have read about the hiby R8 this is what I cane up as a deductive thingking.

R8 is a high quality dap that can stream music and also work as a high quality music playback from local files.

Its sound carachteristics are on the warm side and some what close to wm1z sound, with more normal tuning not to overly warm nor light or thin sounding. It has superb abilities in technicalities but not on a flagship level. As its positioned somewhere between the mid tiers and high tiers daps...

It is a very interesting position as I dont know many daps that sits in the middle point between mid and high tiers.

It has good clean background and barely audible hiss, it does not reach the technicalities of sp2k or lpgt, that to me means it does not reach 1a performance then as I compared 1a and lpgt to me I preferred wm1a it was more analogue. Later on I preferred zx507 over wm1a! And zx507 to me sounded equal to 1a but woth slightly different strengths.

Now I am at a thought that hiby R8 will sound equally to zx507 but with a warmer sound signature and different flavor.

I hear R8 has lucid good mids and vocals. But I also love sony new golden caps lol.

I am pushed to try the Hiby R8 but honestly from what I learned it doesnt seem to be this much outstanding or out of ordinary super amazing. It has the wm1z approach to the sound, warm but natural.

Also I have read to many times about the interferences from emi and rfi wich are occasional aperantly not so frequent.

I am also curious if the next astell&kern sp3000 will be an 4.4mm balanced? That would be something I would be super interested to try.

All this is my thoughts and not real impressions.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #1,617 of 3,161
From what I have read about the hiby R8 this is what I cane up as a deductive thingking.

R8 is a high quality dap that can stream music and also work as a high quality music playback from local files.

Its sound carachteristics are on the warm side and some what close to wm1z sound, with more normal tuning not to overly warm nor light or thin sounding. It has superb abilities in technicalities but not on a flagship level. As its positioned somewhere between the mid tiers and high tiers daps...

It is a very interesting position as I dont know many daps that sits in the middle point between mid and high tiers.

It has good clean background and barely audible hiss, it does not reach the technicalities of sp2k or lpgt, that to me means it does not reach 1a performance then as I compared 1a and lpgt to me I preferred wm1a it was more analogue. Later on I preferred zx507 over wm1a! And zx507 to me sounded equal to 1a but woth slightly different strengths.

Now I am at a thought that hiby R8 will sound equally to zx507 but with a warmer sound signature and different flavor.

I hear R8 has lucid good mids and vocals. But I also love sony new golden caps lol.

I am pushed to try the Hiby R8 but honestly from what I learned it doesnt seem to be this much outstanding or out of ordinary super amazing. It has the wm1z approach to the sound, warm but natural.

Also I have read to many times about the interferences from emi and rfi wich are occasional aperantly not so frequent.

I am also curious if the next astell&kern sp3000 will be an 4.4mm balanced? That would be something I would be super interested to try.

All this is my thoughts and not real impressions.
I think you should either try it for yourself or trust the very experienced people on this thread that have pointed you in the ight direction. If you love the Sony sound, stick with Sony. The ZX507 is definitely not a so-called 'top tier' DAP by your definition, but if you enjoy its sound, stick to it. Top tier does not always equal best; many people I know don't like the A&K 1000 or 2000 series DAPs because they're too bright and forward. And the R8 eclipses both of those in performance and features.

Nov 16, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #1,620 of 3,161
Also this DAP isn't mid-fi, unless we are categorizing them by price and not sound :)
Even if we were categorising by price, $1800 is not mid-fi. It's very much high-end. TOTL even. I'd say anything above $800 in today's market is high-end, and mid-fi sits comfortably in the $300-$800 bracket. If we're going by price only, that is. FWIW I prefer the sound of my R6 Pro to the R2R2000, with costs $2500 last I checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back