Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Mar 8, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #1,202 of 4,006
So I just got my replacement device and can confirm from early testing that my new device does not exhibit the same degree of interference as my last device. In fact, the only way I hear any distortion so far is if my device sits directly on top of my phone and it only happens briefly before stopping.

Cheers
Good to hear. Glad it got resolved for you.

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #1,203 of 4,006
So I just got my replacement device and can confirm from early testing that my new device does not exhibit the same degree of interference as my last device. In fact, the only way I hear any distortion so far is if my device sits directly on top of my phone and it only happens briefly before stopping.

Cheers

Thanks for the follow-up. Guess I'll send my device back and wait for a flip from overseas. Wish me luck:gs1000smile::gs1000smile::beerchug::beerchug:

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #1,204 of 4,006

Cheers

So glad to hear this. Your new device behaves exactly the same as mine, so i know mine is normal. Now you can truly enjoy your R6pro.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #1,205 of 4,006
My R6 Pro is having a similar issue with MichaelHWinn, but not as bad. The only annoying thing is when transitioning between songs in different quality i.e 192 to 2.8DSD there is a clicking noise. Also when I pause a playing track, there is a hissing noise for around 6 seconds, then clicking noise, then silent. Is this happening to any of other units as well?

I am considering an exchange, but since I live in Indonesia, it would take a while to go through the whole process.

Do you get this 6 second hissing noise when using balanced out, or unbalanced, or both?

Mar 9, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #1,208 of 4,006
I found out the hissing and the popping noise is normal when you pause the music. But the interference issue is getting worse on my unit. I just emailed service@hiby.com and still waiting for their reply. Crossing my fingers.
As long as my Pro is not too close to a router i don’t get any interference . Within 10-12 feet of a router and I get emi . If I’m a few feet from the router but with my back turned to it , the interference goes away . I have used the Pro at the gym multiple times and zero interference.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #1,210 of 4,006
Well apparently not Roon because I can’t play the Pro through the Roon app in bitperfect mode.
What happens when you play high res audio? What sample rate shows up at the top of the screen?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 9, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #1,212 of 4,006
I found out the hissing and the popping noise is normal when you pause the music. But the interference issue is getting worse on my unit. I just emailed service@hiby.com and still waiting for their reply. Crossing my fingers.

I think there are different issues at play here: the low level hissing (or noise floor, as sometimes its referred to), and the radio frequency or electro magnetic interference noise.

In case of hissing, I don't think there is an issue with the R6 Pro, its more to do with IEMs compatibility and sensitivity. Why am I so sure of this ? because I have used two JH Audio earphones with the R6 Pro: JH16 Pro and JH Roxanne. With the JH16 Pro, I get literally "0" hissing, whether I pause the music or not, and whether I use balanced or unbalanced output. With the Roxanne, I do get hissing when I pause the music, albeit very low level. The hissing is only with the unbalanced output.

In case of EMI or RFI noises, these exist in my case, exist with both earphones (although a lot less noticeable with the JH 16 pro than Roxannes), and exist only with the unbalanced output. I am very hopeful I found a cheap solution to eliminate (or at least largely reduce) the EMI and RFI, by using small ferrite clamps (also called ferrite choke, or ferrite beads clamps) which are specifically used/made to clamp around audio wires and cables to dissipate EMI and RFI noise. These camps only cost 2 to 3 dollars each, found on amazon etc. The trick is that ferrites are made to cater for different frequencies of interference, so I have ordered audiophile grade ferrites, targeting low frequencies and high frequencies (ie GSM and mobile frequencies). They should arrive in a few days and I will know for sure. I will keep this forum posted if I get the desired impact.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #1,213 of 4,006
Question for those with the R6 Pro... for someone that does not yet have a DAP (use my LG v30 with iFi xDSD as external DAC/amp) but wants to go that route is (a) the R6 Pro “ready” or is it still in extended beta, and (b) for the money is this the way to go, or is there a better DAP?

For background I exclusively listen to Tidal and Qobuz, either streaming or offline. Also, I am a big fan of UAPP as it seems to get around the Android sampling problems and supports bit perfect... is UAPP supported on R6 Pro?

Mar 9, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #1,214 of 4,006
Question for those with the R6 Pro... for someone that does not yet have a DAP (use my LG v30 with iFi xDSD as external DAC/amp) but wants to go that route is (a) the R6 Pro “ready” or is it still in extended beta, and (b) for the money is this the way to go, or is there a better DAP?

For background I exclusively listen to Tidal and Qobuz, either streaming or offline. Also, I am a big fan of UAPP as it seems to get around the Android sampling problems and supports bit perfect... is UAPP supported on R6 Pro?

It's an amazing little device if you can get one that doesn't have a lot of EMI issues.

I'm on my second device right now, and I can connect to wifi and the 4.4mm jack without any EMI issues, and my device seems to be working shockingly well now that I've resolved that issue through a replacement. Aside from that, it's using what is essential barebones stock Android, so it's a comfortable interface to use if you're coming from the LG v30. Also, if you're carrying around a phone with bluetooth, you can sync your phone with the R6 Pro to browse the internet and stream on the go which is pretty convenient. I love this device, and now that I have a working one that doesn't experience the issues that I initially reported, it's about everything I could ask for.

The only problem is there seems to be some QC issues, so it's a pretty wild gamble to get a working one that doesn't experience severe EMI issues. If you're going to buy it, buy it from a seller you can trust that will allow exchanges. I would not recommend buying off of eBay where the return policy might be questionable.

Mar 9, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #1,215 of 4,006

From my perspective, thats exactly why I went the R6 Pro: to get both tidal live streaming and tidal offline. Whereas there are a number of daps out there through which you can get tidal streaming, but beauty of R6 Pro (or R6) is the offline capability. From my research, the R6/R6 Pro is the only DAP that offers that currently. hence for me it was somewhat of an easy decision, given not much competition. I even looked at the LG v30, but the dedicated hardware of the R6 Pro wins the day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back