Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Feb 10, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #976 of 4,006
Great help on the link, Thank you.

got it installed, everything works, showing 96 khz from Tidal. Installed cheap 4.4mm balanced cables bought from Amazon, all I can say is wow. Did I hear any static, noises what-so-ever, I played some songs with quiet background with single instrument, not a drop of noise.
Am I wrong or is it after the tidal patch everything is now shown as either 88 or 96? Even songs not shown as MQA at 96;; it says it's HIFI which means it should be 44.1 CD quality but it shows on top it's 96k .is this a glitch?

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #977 of 4,006
No Joe mine has PlayStore Installed and says International version.

Is there supposed to be icon when using APTX or APTHD ?
No but you can enable developer options and there would be an option called Bluetooth Audio Codec that would show the current codec in use as well as let you try to select whatever you want to use, that the devices support.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 11, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #978 of 4,006
Am I wrong or is it after the tidal patch everything is now shown as either 88 or 96? Even songs not shown as MQA at 96;; it says it's HIFI which means it should be 44.1 CD quality but it shows on top it's 96k .is this a glitch?

No it was showing like that even for Marshmallow users of the original R6 before the Oreo update, after TIDAL updated their app one day. I think it has to do with MQA's requirements on the player software.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 11, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #979 of 4,006
Here is the link to update for R6Pro International: LINK
For R6Pro China: LINK

Just to remind: this update is only to solve DTA issue with streaming apps (Tidal and Qobuz) that didn't get into the whitelist with the latest full beta release.

Taken from Joe Bloggs comment on this post:

Will I still be able to receive regular OTA updates after I install this patch? Mine is a r6 pro China version.

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #980 of 4,006
My parcel has arrived at my home. Can't wait to get home from work

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #982 of 4,006

I don't think the R6 upsample everything to 96 as suggested. I have tried Tidal Master showing 96, Spotify showing 44.1 and Moov (Hi-Fi) at 48. The Hiby Music Player is great but I hope they can incorporate some of the features into sound settings so that you can use the features in streaming as well.

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #983 of 4,006

Yes even HiFi tracks show 88 sample rate, you’re right.
MQA does go to 96 on some albums.

I guess everything is not ironed out yet :)

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #984 of 4,006
Yes even HiFi tracks show 88 sample rate, you’re right.
MQA does go to 96 on some albums.

I guess everything is not ironed out yet :)

I think it has to do with MQA's requirements on the player software. My recollection of this is sketchy (as the relevant emails have been flushed along with my old email account) but during development of the MQA engine for the R3, I heard that they wanted all music material to run through the MQA module, MQA or not--it would apply the MQA optimizations to detected MQA material but upsample everything regardless. This helped ensure gapless playback in special cases such as user initiated skipping, because MQA is based on stream data rather than metadata so doesn't may not lock in even on MQA material within a few seconds of a skip. We found this to run counter to users' desires to have music be played bit-perfect, so negotiated with MQA to have our player pass certification despite only passing MQA-tagged content through MQA, and the few test cases this caused to fail.

Feb 11, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #985 of 4,006
I have had mine for a couple of weeks now, I am glad I waited for the pro, I was very back and forth and almost bought the R6, I stream SIRIUS, use apple music and the Hiby app. I just installed Neutron also.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #986 of 4,006
Seriously good dap. Perfect for my metal music. Power and dynamics. Really good build too

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #987 of 4,006
I think it has to do with MQA's requirements on the player software. My recollection of this is sketchy (as the relevant emails have been flushed along with my old email account) but during development of the MQA engine for the R3, I heard that they wanted all music material to run through the MQA module, MQA or not--it would apply the MQA optimizations to detected MQA material but upsample everything regardless. This helped ensure gapless playback in special cases such as user initiated skipping, because MQA is based on stream data rather than metadata so doesn't may not lock in even on MQA material within a few seconds of a skip. We found this to run counter to users' desires to have music be played bit-perfect, so negotiated with MQA to have our player pass certification despite only passing MQA-tagged content through MQA, and the few test cases this caused to fail.
So do you think that the pro is upsampling the HIFI music to 88 or 96 or is it just listing it as 88 or 96 wo actually up sampling it? Becuase if it is just listing it as 88 or 96 wo it actually being 88 or 96 couln't in theory they just be tricking us into thinking MQA was also 96 when in reality it was 44 and they just are showing it as 96 on the player. It all just seems like shinanigans to me. Am I listening to HIRES or HIFI? I honestly cant tell as far sound quality goes.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #988 of 4,006
So do you think that the pro is upsampling the HIFI music to 88 or 96 or is it just listing it as 88 or 96 wo actually up sampling it? Becuase if it is just listing it as 88 or 96 wo it actually being 88 or 96 couln't in theory they just be tricking us into thinking MQA was also 96 when in reality it was 44 and they just are showing it as 96 on the player. It all just seems like shinanigans to me. Am I listening to HIRES or HIFI? I honestly cant tell as far sound quality goes.
I think TIDAL itself is upsampling everything to 88.2 or 96 before sending on to the R6(pro) (per the reasons given the my post you quoted). Other apps show that the player is certainly capable of preserving a 44.1kHz sample rate when that's what it's handed.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #989 of 4,006
I think TIDAL itself is upsampling everything to 88.2 or 96 before sending on to the R6(pro) (per the reasons given the my post you quoted). Other apps show that the player is certainly capable of preserving a 44.1kHz sample rate when that's what it's handed.
so by upsampling in Tidal it no longer is bit perfect? excuse me as I'm not really sure if im assuming correctly. Is there technically any loss of sound quality by Tidal upsampling the 44.1 files to 88 or 96?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back