Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Feb 16, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #1,352 of 1,928
Maybe its enabled only for R6 pro II, I read somewhere that R6 Gen 3 also will have it. Thanks.
As we are on R6 PRO II thread I thought you were asking for this device...

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #1,354 of 1,928
Some time back I wrote that I was having issues downloading music from streaming services (Amazon, Apple, and Tidal) and thought that maybe I had a problem with my SD card. Turns out that the issue was when I was trying to download while using a fast charger… sometimes the card would then appear unreadable.

Anyway, I avoid charging with a fast charger now while downloading. But I still have a strange issue. Basically I am finding Tidal to be completely unusable… I can no longer download even a single song, and if I do have downloaded files and try to play them (setting offline mode in the app) nothing plays. If this was a problem with the R6 Pro II I would assume I would have issues with Amazon and Apple, but nope, these work just fine to download and play downloaded content when offline.

I have tried totally deleting my library and reinstalling Tidal, but no difference. I am on beta 1.3 (but same issue with 1.21), and all apps up to date on Play Store.

Streaming from Tidal using the Tidal app works just fine, so it’s not my account :wink:

Anyone experience the same with Tidal and have ideas to address this? Do others have no issues with Tidal?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #1,355 of 1,928
Some time back I wrote that I was having issues downloading music from streaming services (Amazon, Apple, and Tidal) and thought that maybe I had a problem with my SD card. Turns out that the issue was when I was trying to download while using a fast charger… sometimes the card would then appear unreadable.

Anyway, I avoid charging with a fast charger now while downloading. But I still have a strange issue. Basically I am finding Tidal to be completely unusable… I can no longer download even a single song, and if I do have downloaded files and try to play them (setting offline mode in the app) nothing plays. If this was a problem with the R6 Pro II I would assume I would have issues with Amazon and Apple, but nope, these work just fine to download and play downloaded content when offline.

I have tried totally deleting my library and reinstalling Tidal, but no difference. I am on beta 1.3 (but same issue with 1.21), and all apps up to date on Play Store.

Streaming from Tidal using the Tidal app works just fine, so it’s not my account :wink:

Anyone experience the same with Tidal and have ideas to address this? Do others have no issues with Tidal?
Have you tried a factory reset? I know it's a pain reloading and setting everything up again but it often fixes weird problems like that.

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #1,356 of 1,928
Have you tried a factory reset? I know it's a pain reloading and setting everything up again but it often fixes weird problems like that.
Yeah, that’s an option and might be what I resort to….

I wonder if I do a factory reset but keep the SD card (where I store music files) if once I reload the apps I can put the SD card back in and the apps would still recognize the SD card music stored on it? Loading apps is no big deal, but thousands of songs… that sucks at 150Mb speeds…

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #1,357 of 1,928
Just had first session with the r6 pro ii after around 50 hours burn in. I really like the sound and I’m sure it will further improve with more hrs.

As many other already wrote it has a mostly neutral sound but never sharp. Excellent clarity and black background.

Tested with Aroma Jewel it has impressive imaging, bass hits hard and clarity is further enhanced. Pretty hologrqphic soundstage. With Singularity, it balances their warmth and they gain a bit more treble spark while maintaining the full bass they are known for. With Prestige Ltd., they sound precise and balanced with smooth overtones.
With Ponderosa, nice rounded notes, good bass and clarity. These hiss a bit even in low gain, nothing major but ponderosa (basically an andromeda in black) hiss from everything, beside from ru7 in low gain. And I also test for hiss playing a song with volume at 0 so not really a normal use case. When the music is playing hiss is negligible.

Still have to test Legend evo and u12t plus my full size headphones but I’m sure they will all pair well due to the all around R6 signature.

Compared to N7, class A: N7 is warmer, more forward, notes are fuller and background is not as black as R6. Definitely more intimate.

Compared to ZM2: Zm2 is more analogue, wamer and with more bass. Notes more rounded. Slightly Less air between layers and notes. Zm2 is more laid back.

Compared to Ru7: Ru7 is slightly warmer but less detailed, soundstage is wider though.Ru7 soundstage is anyway one of the highlights of that dongle and it’s bigger than most daps I had or tried, only surpassed by n7+C9.

N7+C9: this comparison is just for fun, considering price (4000 eur for both devices) and the fact this is a stack. N7+C9 in ab/tubes and aroma jewel is the best sound I have ever heard from any “portable” device. Bigger more holographic soundstage, more depth, more analogue, delicious bass.However, C9 can hiss with more sensitive iems so, it may not be the best pairing for ponderosa or Legend Evo or other very sensitive gear.

All in all the r6 pro ii is an excellent dap and may be an end game for many people. It may just lack the last bit of refinement or power of daps that cost 3x,4x times but this is expected. Fast snappy interface, neutral but smooth sound that goes well with most or all iems, excellent screen and light weight. Battery may be an issue for some users when used in class A. Not for me since I don’t use daps outside and I don’t listen for more than 5-6 hrs.

I definitely prefer it to dx240, dx300, dx320, Shanling M7 and M9, WM1AM2 and many other daps, even way more expensive I had in past.

I’ll continue the burn in to reach 100+ hrs and see how and if the r6 will further improve.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #1,359 of 1,928
HarlanDraka, you compared r6 pro lI to C9+N7 but can you compare r6 pro II+C9 to N7+,C9? Thanks.
I didn’t test r6 with c9 yet. I’ll give it a try in next days

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #1,360 of 1,928
Just as a follow up, the factory reset seems to have solved the problem. Thank you for the nudge!

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #1,361 of 1,928
... I own both N7 and R6proii and to be fair I think N7 is another class even though I like the r6proii, everything is cleaner and more natural on the N7 and treble is just sweeter and much better image than r6proii... not saying this to bash the r6pro2 because I use both for different purposes and i still love my r6proii, but N7 is a much more refined dap in my opinion... the r6pro2 plugin DRX10K dynamics is magic though...

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #1,362 of 1,928
Would expect the N7 to be better at three times the price, would be criminal if it wasn't.
Have to agree the DRX10 plugin is fantastic, totally changes the sound.

Feb 17, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #1,363 of 1,928
... I own both N7 and R6proii and to be fair I think N7 is another class even though I like the r6proii, everything is cleaner and more natural on the N7 and treble is just sweeter and much better image than r6proii... not saying this to bash the r6pro2 because I use both for different purposes and i still love my r6proii, but N7 is a much more refined dap in my opinion... the r6pro2 plugin DRX10K dynamics is magic though...
I find the N7 presentation in class A a bit forward, especially with vocals with some of my iems. In class AB the vocals are not so forward but it loses in smoothness and bass impact. R6 is more neutral so I can see how some people may prefer the intimate musicality and sweetness of N7 while others the neutrality and correctness of r6.
That’s imho and to my ears.

But I see N7 paired with C9 competing maybe surpassing even TOTL Daps.

Feb 17, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #1,364 of 1,928
Just as a follow up, the factory reset seems to have solved the problem. Thank you for the nudge!
You're welcome, thanks for letting us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back