HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Dec 28, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #6,301 of 6,628
I can’t compare the Hiby to the two phones you mentioned, but over the past 18 months I’ve tried out the Hiby R3, fiio m7, fiio m9, fiio m11, iBasso dx160, Hiby r5 and the A&K s15. At £269, this player for me, is a no-brainer purchase. I did buy it when it was £499, but returned it as I was still in the early stages of finding the dap for me.

I’ve been using my Shouer Tapes through the 2.5 balanced and my tin hifi p1 through the 3.5. Both sound very good. It’s also good that you can change the tonality of the player in the settings. I chose to go with ‘tube amp’ and it gives my iems a warmer sound. The screen is fine for me for YouTube but it is a bit small. I wouldn’t use it as my main YouTube viewer but good enough for on the go. Can’t comment on Bluetooth as I don’t use it.

if I remember rightly from my first unit I bought, Wi-fi was a bit weak. However, I’ve had no issues on this one. I have however had some BT Wi-fi extenders since, so can’t attribute it to either that or a firmware upgrade.

The deal breaker for me is the price! I wouldn’t hesitate to buy at that price, especially with Amazon’s return policy. I would suggest pulling the trigger and getting some hands on time with it to judge yourself. If it doesn’t work out, return it... but it may be one of the best dap bargains out there at the moment.
Bluetooths been absolutely fine with the sony xm3's I've been using for a while.

Dec 28, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #6,302 of 6,628
Good news. Just pressed the button on Amazon Prime UK. For anyone in Europe interested the Black is £269.00 and the Stainless Steel one £299.00. Don't know for how long.
For the music.

Dec 29, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #6,306 of 6,628
Always more questions. Most of my IEMs I intend to use are 32ohms. Will they be OK on the R6?
They will be fine to use. They may not sound the same as the sound out of various DAPs with near zero output impedance, but since when did people believe us when we said two different DAPs should sound the same anyway!? :laughing:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 29, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #6,307 of 6,628
I’ve not found there to be an issue with any of the iems I’ve tried. I was really worried about the high output impedance having read most of this thread. I do not have the kind of multi ba very low Z sets that people report issues with but anything dynamic/hybrid at 32 ohms seems fine to me.
I keep saying to myself: “I’ll get an iematch when I see a problem....” but I’ve not yet seen any need at all.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #6,308 of 6,628
I just use Custom Arts Fibae range (2 and black) anyway which in theory eliminates the problem.

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #6,309 of 6,628
I am trying to use the usb out to feed to a recently bought e1da 9038s using a short usb c to usb c cable. But I get no sound.
Nest I tried the idi did black edition and the same thing. In the settings under connected devices, usb is grayed out,
I am on the latest firmware. I have used the unit with the if I earlier but maybe not with the latest firmware. Is this a known issue".
Thanks for any help.

Dec 30, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #6,310 of 6,628
Received the Hiby R6 Stainless Steel from Amazon Prime yesterday morning. Previously I had two iBasso DX 160's with non existent Bluetooth. Both sounded different. The first had a very holographic, nice, sound. The second was different with some glare so I had to return both because of BAD Bluetooth. As I said Bluetooth was unusable and I could not use my ES100 or BTR3 with the iBasso DX160. The Hiby sounds good with my Blon 03 DD IEM's. I can use it with both my ES100 and FiiO BTR3 but if I move around too much I do hear it when the signal drops a little. With my iFi Zen Blue Receiver there is a definite problem though, playing to my HiFi, using Bluetooth from the R6. When the signal drops the Zen Blue doesn't know how to reconnect and shows it is still connected when the sound has in fact been dropped. Very good sound though using Amazon HD with IEMs on the R6, which shows as 44.1K. Even with a large Flac of Coltane's Blue Train at 192k it sounds great and shows on the notification bar as what it is (I just noticed that Blue Train Flac intermittently just stops and I have to restart it...don't know why). Amazon HD does sound great though. So my concern is the Bluetooth signal which I will have to think about and also the battery life is just OK. I did upgrade firmware so mine is the latest . At 300 DPI the screen even nowadays has good enough resolution. So the possible problems as I see it, 10 ohms could be a problem for my efficient Rose Masya Mk 2 DD earbuds and my LZ A6 mini IEM which is DD + Piezo driver, problems with Bluetooth stability and battery life. The stainless steel version is built like a 'Brick Shitehouse'. How do others feel about the sound of the R6?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #6,311 of 6,628
I've had my R6 since May and i'm more than happy with the sound on various IEMs i've tried. I've stopped using balanced IEM's however because the battery life of the R6 when using them is woeful. I'll get myself something else to use anything i have that is balanced. So i only use it with bluetooth IEM's and i don't have any issues with the stability of the connection. I mainly use Tranya T3's and they seem to need to be in line of sight of the DAP, not a lot has to get in the way for them to go quiet but i'm not sure if that is the DAP's fault or the IEM's. I do get pairing issues though which annoys the hell out of me when i'm in a hurry. The Tranya's won't connect and i have put them back in their charging case, turn off the bluetooth on the R6, turn the bluetooth back on again and take the Tranya's back out of their charging case and they connect. That happens about once or twice a week.

I generally play full albums and find the only way to do this easily is by browsing to them in the folder view. It annoys me sometimes that they aren't in a normal alphabetical order because i think the OS ignores spaces and struggles with numbers and symbols but that's only a small gripe. A bigger one would be the location of the shuffle track button. The amount of times i've hit shuffle without realising is frustrating. I wish there was a setting to disable or hide it because i very rarely use it.

Dec 30, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #6,312 of 6,628
I've had my R6 since May and i'm more than happy with the sound on various IEMs i've tried. I've stopped using balanced IEM's however because the battery life of the R6 when using them is woeful. I'll get myself something else to use anything i have that is balanced. So i only use it with bluetooth IEM's and i don't have any issues with the stability of the connection. I mainly use Tranya T3's and they seem to need to be in line of sight of the DAP, not a lot has to get in the way for them to go quiet but i'm not sure if that is the DAP's fault or the IEM's. I do get pairing issues though which annoys the hell out of me when i'm in a hurry. The Tranya's won't connect and i have put them back in their charging case, turn off the bluetooth on the R6, turn the bluetooth back on again and take the Tranya's back out of their charging case and they connect. That happens about once or twice a week.

I generally play full albums and find the only way to do this easily is by browsing to them in the folder view. It annoys me sometimes that they aren't in a normal alphabetical order because i think the OS ignores spaces and struggles with numbers and symbols but that's only a small gripe. A bigger one would be the location of the shuffle track button. The amount of times i've hit shuffle without realising is frustrating. I wish there was a setting to disable or hide it because i very rarely use it.

Thank you for that.

Jan 1, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #6,313 of 6,628
Final question. Does the LDAC function of Android 8.1 work properly on the R6 for the Radsone ES100 or Fiio BTR3? That would be the only deal breaker for me as I do use the ES100 a lot and would rather use the R6 than my phone.
Hey I was just doing this today. I connected the R6 to the USB port on my Nvidia shield and set it to “USB DAC” mode. Turned on my ES100 which was already paired to the R6. Plugged my JH Lola’s into the ES100 and the Ear Studio app indicated LDAC when I played a movie on the Shield using VLC. “2001 a space odyssey” Looked beautiful in 4K HDR on my new Optoma P1 projector

Users who are viewing this thread

Back